"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 783
+ Reply to Thread
Page 783 of 789 FirstFirst ... 283683733773774775776777778779780781782783784785786787788789 LastLast
Results 11,731 to 11,745 of 11832

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What about when u first get in the car and start it up not warming the motor up and vaule ...

What about when u first get in the car and start it up not warming the motor up and vaule doesn't open up. Till it warms up is that normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Z31_2011 View Post
    What about when u first get in the car and start it up not warming the motor up and vaule doesn't open up. Till it warms up is that normal

There's a chance the valve could be leaking.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

We'll put Hydraulic oil didn't have no promblem with it yesterday but was over 60 degrees out side

U think the gasket would cause it it's got like a crease in it but other then that everything tight

Hello, grammar? Are you there?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Z31_2011 View Post
    U think the gasket would cause it it's got like a crease in it but other then that everything tight

Could be.

Facebook me here

Building an intake for my GFB BOV?

Hi, today my brother and I installed a new BOV into my 2002 wrx. I either need to buy a new intake or make one because it's not giving me that sound that I want! My brother said that it might not be too much to build a new intake, but what materials would we need for that? Or would it be more time and cost effective to buy one?

Quote Originally Posted by wrxcowgirl View Post
    Hi, today my brother and I installed a new BOV into my 2002 wrx. I either need to buy a new intake or make one because it's not giving me that sound that I want! My brother said that it might not be too much to build a new intake, but what materials would we need for that? Or would it be more time and cost effective to buy one?
    Typically BOV or 'Blow Off Valve' means they discharge the air out to the atmosphere. If your is so, the sound should be loud and clear regardless of the intake. But from what you say I presume that you actually installed a BPV of ‘ByPass Valve’ that works virtually like stock (hence the lack of sound). If you want sound without throwing off your MAF readings too much, you can get a hybrid valve that can both recirculate the air to the intake and discharge it to atmosphere. However some have reported reliability issues with such valve so you might want to research before making a decision.

As for making an intake, this is very ill advised. The intake houses the MAF sensor that is a precisely calibrated sensor that measures the air coming into the engine. Modifying the shape and size of the piping around it will throw off it reading and the ECU won’t be able to run the engine properly.

You might want to start by reading those before making any decisions:
    BOV FAQ
    Intake FAQ
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

Typically BOV or 'Blow Off Valve' means they discharge the air out to the atmosphere. If yours is so, the sound should be loud and clear regardless of the intake. But from what you say I presume that you actually installed a BPV of ‘ByPass Valve’ that works virtually like stock (hence the lack of sound). If you want sound without throwing off your MAF readings too much, you can get a hybrid valve that can both recirculate the air to the intake and discharge it to atmosphere simultaneously. However, some have reported reliability issues with such valve so you might want to research before making a decision.

As for making an intake, this is very ill advised. The intake houses the MAF sensor that is precisely calibrated to measures the air coming into the engine. Modifying the shape and size of the piping around it will throw off its readings and the ECU won’t be able to run the engine properly.

You might want to start by reading those before making any decisions:
    BOV FAQ
    Intake FAQ
    2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
    2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4

zax
    I built an intake using spare parts but you will need to tune the car for the new MAFv scaling. Unless of course you have an FEA package with CFM analysis you can use to model the airflow close to the stock design... but this will cost you at minimum $15,000.

Facebook me here

Put stock BPV back on. Get SPT intake. **** biatches. Profit.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Put stock BPV back on. Get SPT intake. **** biatches. Profit.
    If the name and avatar are correct, the latter might get interesting.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Totally not an issue to build one.... BUT. Then the MAF has to be calibrated by a tuner. Absolutely HAS to. That would include purchasing a method to tune (cobb accessport or tactrix) and then paying a professional tuner / calibrator to adjust the MAF voltage curve to match the flow that you're actually receiving.

In short, buy a Cobb SF Intake with airbox.
    COBB Tuning - Subaru SF Intake and SF Airbox Kit
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Totally not an issue to build one.... BUT. Then the MAF has to be calibrated by a tuner. Absolutely HAS to.
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Unless of course you have an FEA package with CFM analysis you can use to model the airflow close to the stock design... but this will cost you at minimum $15,000.
    Like I mentioned, there is an alternative, but the ROI just might not be there

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    That would include purchasing a method to tune (cobb accessport or tactrix) and then paying a professional tuner / calibrator to adjust the MAF voltage curve to match the flow that you're actually receiving.]
    TBH Kevie-poo-poo, MAFv scaling is perhaps one of the easiest tasks you can take-on as a self tuner. You would need a Tactrix (or Cobb) and a WBO2, but with the availability of Airboy's spreadsheet and Badnoodle's OL MAF tool, tuning the MAFv is simple as apple pie.

Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    TBH Kevie-poo-poo, MAFv scaling is perhaps one of the easiest tasks you can take-on as a self tuner. You would need a Tactrix (or Cobb) and a WBO2, but with the availability of Airboy's spreadsheet and Badnoodle's OL MAF tool, tuning the MAFv is simple as apple pie.
    I prefer just Kevie-Poo. D!ck.

For someone with a good understanding of the vehicles, I would agree. But for someone that doesn't understand how these cars, or tuning works in general that wants to design an intake, I'm going to disagree. An understanding of resolution vs voltage, and understanding laminar vs turbulent flow, understanding open vs closed loop, etc. Also, I've seen too many times where someone is having a fueling problem, and they correct it with the MAF. A band-aid for a big problem.

After taking EFI-101, and getting a more solid understanding of the principles behind tuning, and the physical responses that come from minor mistakes... and then seeing the bullsht from some "professionals" or "experienced home tuners" (cough cough eric) I definitely am more gun-shy on recommending someone effing with their only vehicle and tuning it themselves.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.