"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 777
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Not to be a jerk, but google should be able to answer this one. Two good threads to start...but there ...

Not to be a jerk, but google should be able to answer this one. Two good threads to start...but there are many more.
    The BIG BOV thread

BOV FAQ_from NASIOC

Basically don't do a full vent to atmosphere. It won't run that rich, but its pointless unless you're running really high boost. If you must have a vent to atmosphere, go with a 50/50. If all you want is the woosh (plus turbo spool noises), go with an intake. There are tons of BOV threads. I can't remember them all but they are pretty easy to find.
    Last edited by mfigge2; 05-01-2013 at 09:35 PM.
    '13 WRX Limited PBP hatch
    2012 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Adventure

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

First turbo car, just want to do safe upgrades just like the sound. Thanks for the links.

Is that you being an *******?

Quote Originally Posted by mfigge2 View Post
    Not to be a jerk, but google should be able to answer this one. Two good threads to start...but there are many more.
    The BIG BOV thread

BOV FAQ_from NASIOC

Basically don't do a full vent to atmosphere. It won't run that rich, but its pointless unless you're running really high boost. If you must have a vent to atmosphere, go with a 50/50. If all you want is the woosh (plus turbo spool noises), go with an intake. There are tons of BOV threads. I can't remember them all but they are pretty easy to find.
    This
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Yes

Slight danger to engine
    Extreme danger of being labeled as a ricer if you put a bov on your stock car

keep your stock bpv unless you NEED to upgrade
    2013 wrx sedan(saving up for a 2015 STI)

Previous faist cars: '05 Mustang GT '02 RSX-S, '91 SR20 240sx, '85 300zx turbo

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    My car had a Forge BPV on it when I bought it and even without an intake or intake silencer delete, it's pretty loud. If you really need the BOV sound, you could always pick up an aftermarket BPV (BOVs are atmospheric, BPVs are recirculation). I know Cobb makes a BPV that they claim is bigger and louder.

XLE Bypass Valve

There's the link to Cobb's BPV. It say this one can go full atmospheric (bad), 30% hybrid atmospheric/recirc (less bad), or full recirc (good)
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

No point to have it. Can lead to rough idling issues, running rich between shifts, etc.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I have the turbo xs bpv and its pretty loud for a recirculation valve.
    2011 Wrx DGM TP Stage 3
    Stink-eye mob #3737

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Merging.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    i have a BOV question. Please don't shoot me. This thread is 777 pages long, at best I can click on a random page and hope to find useful information at this point. That and page 1.

It's actually about removing it, which we've been considering since I picked up the Shoopster in April.

2004 WRX mostly stock: AEM air intake, TurboXS BOV. Can't tell you what percentage of recirculation going on, only that there is. Pretty sure the Shoop's never been tuned.

Going to put a stock '05 catback back on (pics), and so it seems like a good time to 'see what would happen' if I were to put a stock BPV back on there.

Anything in particular I should know / do / have --besides a stock 2004 BPV-- in order to do this?

...Why? Boost gauge still doesn't top 8 psi (I don't often have occasion to floor it, either). Rather than start looking for leaks, Boyfriend-Mechanic wants to remove the BOV first, see what results/changes if any, then go from there.

I think I'm the only one on here reverting things to stock
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

I Support ClubWRX
    Just the correct valve and correct tubing; look at pictures of engine bays for the routing, it's not difficult at all and you don't need anything else.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    great, thanks! ...but wait a minute... there's this disclaimer at the bottom of your signature...

-Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

bovs dual port or single

I've been told that a bov will cause your wrx ro back fire or hurt the responce time of the car. For those of you that have bovs on your wrx do you experience any of these issues? Also I've heard that a dual port bov or hybrid would eliminate those problems. But you won't get the amazing bov sound if your not petal to the floor. Any tips and knowledge whould be appreciated
    2013Dark Grey WRX Stock for now =)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.