"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 77
Page 77 of 784 FirstFirst ... 27676869707172737475767778798081828384858687127177577 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 11752

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What do you guys think of Turbo XS blow off valves?? I'm thinkin about getting the Type-H....

What do you guys think of Turbo XS blow off valves?? I'm thinkin about getting the Type-H.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i think you'll have the same problem with the type-h as the RFL. They are a single valve, push type. so they will have a tendancy to leak unless you jack up the spring pressure so high that it doesn't release air until you really get on the gas., trust me , i had the rfl, i know.
    "Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left York at 6:36 p.m. travelling at 55mph, the other from Peterborough at 4:19 p.m.at a speed of 35mph."

Which one would be my best bet to get then??

I have a type-H, it does not leak. It flutters under low boost like the gfb but no biggie.

The blowoff sound is longer at moderate boost with the type H than with the other bovs.

The 100% Forge that I have does not flutter.
    Another point that should be made about the Forge is that they are a completely rebuildable item and Forge supports with all spares. I needed to get the 'blue' as opposed to the 'yellow' spring and they sent if for free in 3 days from their US distributor.

Very happy with it!

Another point to note - it is a lot smaller that some other BOVs

Originally posted by aussieinstlouis
    I needed to get the 'blue' as opposed to the 'yellow' spring and they sent if for free in 3 days from their US distributor.
    aussie can you please further explain...

is this something that i will need to order?
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

The colour is the way they differentiate the 'stiffness' of the spring. I found it was opening venting too easily for my tastes and called them - they said 'no worries' you need a stronger spring - call George at Forge Motorsports USA and he sent it to me the next day.

To clarify the venting issue I had - I do not like the BOVs that open when you are in neutral and rev to 3000 rpm and open when you release the throttle - that is where a lot of the problems occur (IMHO).

I get slight venting in neutral only if I rev over about 5500 rpm.

I good exercise when you get your BOV is to take it apart and understand HOW it works.

THere are two springs in the Forge - If I get the urge this weekend - I may pull mine off and photograph the insides and post here - although it is Mardi Gras this weekend, I may be too distracted by all the beads and titty action!!

Cheers,

Andrew

hahahahah....

thanks aussie...

i should be receiving my forge either today or tomorrow so i will be sure to take it apart (no special tools required is there?) and then install it to see how i like it...

i agree i probably don't want the thing going off at 3000 rpm...more like the way you have it set up....in the 5000 rpm range...
    -Brian

Twisty Monster - 335 ft/lb of torque @ 3600 rpm on a stock turbo. Is that possible? Yes it is.

You just need an allen key.
    It is a metric - so make sure you use metric - the imperial is close, but could damage the screws.

cool...thanks
    -Brian

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by aussieinstlouis

I good exercise when you get your BOV is to take it apart and understand HOW it works.

THere are two springs in the Forge - If I get the urge this weekend - I may pull mine off and photograph the insides and post here - although it is Mardi Gras this weekend, I may be too distracted by all the beads and titty action!!

Cheers,

Andrew
    I undertook this disassembly when I had my GFB BOV. So I took some pictures for this very occasion. And for those that want to know how a BOV works. And the Forge BOV is probably very similar.

Enjoy<

thanks for the pic kurlee...
    -Brian

ok...so i finally go my Forge 100% atm BOV today and installed it....

the install was pretty easy...even in 20 degree weather...

so i took it out for a drive and it really is just like everyone says....

when sitting at idle there are no problems what so ever...runs just like stock...

when you are into boost it lets off a nice solid pssshhhhh....very nice...though i think i am going to go the route that aussieinstlouis went and get a stiffer spring so that it is not letting off as easily...

to give you an idea of how loud it is...when i had a cd playing at vol level 6 you could just hear it over the music...when i turned it up to 9 you really had to listen for it....

i am very pleased...when i get my ecutek in a month or so i will be sure to flash the ecu with 100% atm bov and there should be no worries...

so now everyone should run out and buy one

it runs just like stock....if not a little better...
    -Brian

here it is...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails forgetogether.jpg  
    -Brian

here it is apart...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails forgeapart.jpg  
    -Brian