"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 769

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So this might sound ridiculous but I really like that vent to atmosphere BOV sound and I'd heard you can ...

BPV vent to atmosphere

So this might sound ridiculous but I really like that vent to atmosphere BOV sound and I'd heard you can remove a hose on the WRX BPV to make it vent to atmosphere but when I did it to my 08 WRX, it sounded good but it died right after I revved it. Anyone know why or how I can get around it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Pulling the hose on the BPV will cause it to leak like mad, which can be very harmful for your engine. I suggest you read the BOV thread. The stock unit works fine, must aftermarket ones do not. Venting to atmosphere is not good for a car that utilizes MAF based tuning. Plus, having a Subaru with a loud BOV sound basically makes you look like an uninformed tool.. IMHO.

(that is, unless you're car is highly modified, running a speed density tune with more than 22psi boost)

"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged)

if you want a simple way to get that bpv sound theres 2 ways

- keep the stock bpv but get a cold air intake or short ram intake (REQUIRES TUNE) IF YOU DONT TUNE YOU CAN RUN INTO BIG PROBLEMS

- or just get a 50/50 bpv were it vents half to atmosphere and half to recirced does not require tune however you may run rich in beetween shifts - i personally use this and dont have problems running rich but remember everycar is diffrent , the only time i run rich is when the bpv does not open at all and my turbo flutters but that is set from the adjustment screw

Quote Originally Posted by sxcrxy View Post
    i personally use this and dont have problems running rich but remember everycar is diffrent , the only time i run rich is when the bpv does not open at all and my turbo flutters but that is set from the adjustment screw
    Oh but I bet you DO run rich...you just don't actively see it
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Seeking reassurance. Would it be a good idea to install a Blitz Dual Drive BOV on my 2010 WRX with TBE exhaust and Cobb AP 93 oct stage 2 tune? If yes, will the diamond shaped flange be the correct one as I'm buying it used from another member who doesn't seem very sure. Thanks in advance.
    2010 WRB WRX

I currently run a greddy type s recirculated into a custome silicone return pipe I made up due to the layout of my intercooler piping. I am also running a Perrin turbo inlet and a cold air intake. My blow off valve whistles like its venting to atmosphere but it is definitely recirculated. The point to this post is that you can achieve the vta sound while still making your car run the way it was designed to. Also a 50/50 blow off valve will still make you run rich.

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by boone1186 View Post
    Seeking reassurance. Would it be a good idea to install a Blitz Dual Drive BOV on my 2010 WRX with TBE exhaust and Cobb AP 93 oct stage 2 tune? If yes, will the diamond shaped flange be the correct one as I'm buying it used from another member who doesn't seem very sure. Thanks in advance.
    If you've read enough of this thread and still think a vent to atmosphere valve is a good idea, then go for it, I guess.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

^ x1,000,000 it's been stated over and over and over again that our cars hate it. If someone wants to sacrifice performance and stability for a whoosh sound then all the power to them

Quote Originally Posted by wrx50 View Post
    ^ x1,000,000 it's been stated over and over and over again that our cars hate it. If someone wants to sacrifice performance and stability for a whoosh sound then all the power to them
    Roger that. So.. No ha ha
    2010 WRB WRX

Quote Originally Posted by boone1186 View Post
    Roger that. So.. No ha ha
    Before you think about any other changes, it would be a good idea to read up on the Cobb map notes to understand what mods you can and can't do with the map.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Anyone by chance know if and which OEM Sti bpv fits 11 - 13 WRX? Is it all years or 08+ Sti? I also hear the Forge unit is a good recirc replacement for leaky plastic bpv anyone using those? Thanks in advance.

No sti blow off valve will fit the Wrx without an adapter plate. Totally different flange

Quote Originally Posted by wrx50 View Post
    No sti blow off valve will fit the Wrx without an adapter plate. Totally different flange
    That's too bad, I was hoping to use OEM Sti

Diverter or BOV

Hello everyone,
    I have a 2011 WRX with an Invidia turbo-back exhaust, Injen cold-air intake and it's been tuned. I want to get either a diverter valve or a blow-off valve next. I was wondering what your recommendations were on the matter.

why? The factory one will hold up to 21psi... Could spend that money on other more performance oriented parts of the car.

Also, do a search. There's a thread called "the big bov thread" or something to that affect. Its been quite a while since I read it but it has all the info you might need as to why you DONT want a bov.

If you're dead set on blowing your money and getting a different valve, get a bpv (recirc) type. forge motorsport make really nice rebuildable units.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!