"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 768

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by FlySense88 Where did you get the greddy from? I like that sound. when are FMIC needed? I've ...

Quote Originally Posted by FlySense88

Where did you get the greddy from? I like that sound.

when are FMIC needed? I've been reading only when you get a big turbos
    I got it off a nasioc member

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post

Depends on the intake in question.
    And the car in question...newer gen Subarus really require a tune where as the GDs didn't as much (though no benefits were really seen from having them).

Quote Originally Posted by tebriel View Post
    If I install a BOV I'll be enjoying the noise too much to care what other people think. Honestly there's so much groupthink on subby boards that I'm tempted to install one AND run mobil 1 just out of spite lol.
    I don't think there's really any groupthink about it. There are facts that are known, and for the most part, that's what people around here stick to. A BOV just isn't necessary and tends to lead to more possible issues than not. Who said anything about Mobile 1 though? Nobody has ever really trashed that around here at all. I know tons of people running it with no problems
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

What Mikie said. Generally I haven't seen people get made fun of for wanting the sound, occasional jokes are made but never personal attacks. Instead the advice is usually just to get an intake instead to hear that sound since it is shown that BOVs can potentially cause problems/damage.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

BOV FAQ: The REAL dirt on BOVs. Ups AND downs. Lets dispell some myths. - NASIOC

I think Davenow's posts mirror my thinking on this issue.

there's loads of M1 hate on nasioc, which is what I'm referencing

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tebriel
    BOV FAQ: The REAL dirt on BOVs. Ups AND downs. Lets dispell some myths. - NASIOC

I think Davenow's posts mirror my thinking on this issue.

there's loads of M1 hate on nasioc, which is what I'm referencing
    Dave's a great guy, with a lot of great info to offer.

Even he can't argue that an atmospheric valve on a car running MAF-based fueling will be faster than one running a recirculated one.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

No, but his point is it's not as big of a deal as everyone makes it out out to be.

Here you go, a couple friends and I participating in what could only be described as a BOV orgy:
    ColorOfFast.mpg - YouTube

That was in 2006 I think.

bov or no bov??

so i hear its better to run no bov from some people and i hear its better to run a bov from others... any help??
    bov or no bov?
    thanks
    04 wrx modded & audi a4 b5

Please read this "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) you'll learn a lot more. Depends on what boost level your at. the stock bov can handle a good amount of psi. If your stock bov is leaking its time for a new one. Just don't go with a atmospheric bov.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Unless your car is HEAVILY modded the stock BPV is the best unit for the car. I'm not sure who would say it's "better" to run an aftermarket BOV, but they clearly don't know what they're talking about.. or they value a goofy sound more than how their car actually runs.

I Support ClubWRX
    ---- BOV / Blow Off Valve Information ---

Please read the stickies/FAQ's at the top of the page. This question gets asked over,and over,and over,and over,and over,and over,and over,and over....................... We like to help out and answer question,but you can only answer the same question so many times. Kinda the whole point of having stickies/FAQ's on websites
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    Unless your car is HEAVILY modded the stock BPV is the best unit for the car. I'm not sure who would say it's "better" to run an aftermarket BOV, but they clearly don't know what they're talking about.. or they value a goofy sound more than how their car actually runs.
    I highly disagree with this. On some of the older model wrx the bpv WAS a solid unit that was decently constructed. On the new wrx the valve is plastic and has been shown to leak anywhere from stock boost levels and definitively leaks at stage two boost levels. I know mine was leaking at 18 psi and I had to swap it out with an after market valve.

However if we are talking about a car running stock boost levels then this could be a true statement. Again, the stock valve on 08+ wrx has been known to leak at even stock boost levels over time.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx50 View Post
    I highly disagree with this. On some of the older model wrx the bpv WAS a solid unit that was decently constructed. On the new wrx the valve is plastic and has been shown to leak anywhere from stock boost levels and definitively leaks at stage two boost levels. I know mine was leaking at 18 psi and I had to swap it out with an after market valve.

However if we are talking about a car running stock boost levels then this could be a true statement. Again, the stock valve on 08+ wrx has been known to leak at even stock boost levels over time.

I have heard that about the newer ones. I'm not exactly convinced that people are really having issues with it at stock boost levels, but I guess anything is possible. And I haven't really heard anything about replacing the BPV to be a stage two requirement.. is there just a lot of variance in what they can hold and a few just suck?

In any case, my statement was aimed more towards the fact that unless you're running speed density, using a recirculating valve that is designed like the factory unit is the way to go. I used the Forge Recirculating Race valve on my old 23.5psi tune and it worked great. When you consider the fact that most aftermarket BOVs (VTA) leak at stock boost levels (HKS, TurboSmart are two I have firsthand experience with leaking at IDLE), the factory unit still seems pretty good.

Another thing that davenow goes into in his thread is actually installing and setting up BOV's correctly, which most people don't bother to do.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame

I have heard that about the newer ones. I'm not exactly convinced that people are really having issues with it at stock boost levels, but I guess anything is possible. And I haven't really heard anything about replacing the BPV to be a stage two requirement.. is there just a lot of variance in what they can hold and a few just suck?

In any case, my statement was aimed more towards the fact that unless you're running speed density, using a recirculating valve that is designed like the factory unit is the way to go. I used the Forge Recirculating Race valve on my old 23.5psi tune and it worked great. When you consider the fact that most aftermarket BOVs (VTA) leak at stock boost levels (HKS, TurboSmart are two I have firsthand experience with leaking at IDLE), the factory unit still seems pretty good.
    I never said it was a stage two requirement because it is not. I was simply implying that the stock bpv is prone to leak at stage two power levels. I know mine did. Yes you are correct a similar recirculating valve is the way to go. I run a greddy type s now and I love it. I also have a forge bpv that I ran for a little bit. It worked like a champ but I was bored with the sound and wanted something more unique.

Yes it is a variance in the power levels that the stock one leaks. I have also heard of them holding 20 psi but I wouldn't count on that for long. It is a poorly crafted valve straight from the factory.