"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 764

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by zax Yo guys yo. I want to put a BOV in my BPV so I can Pshh ...

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Yo guys yo. I want to put a BOV in my BPV so I can Pshh while I woosh.
    And then throw a regurgitating valve in while at it.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

NB question, just got a WRX 2012 and worried that if I do anything to it I may void the warranty, so want to be somewhat conservative here. For starters I would like to make the turbo spool louder, would you recommend using a BOV or installing an intake kit + mess around with ECU? I just would like to know what'd the safest way to go, in case the car needs to go back in Subaru and I put back all the original parts, I don't want them voiding my warranty!!

Thanks in advance!!

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by powercub View Post
    NB question, just got a WRX 2012 and worried that if I do anything to it I may void the warranty, so want to be somewhat conservative here. For starters I would like to make the turbo spool louder, would you recommend using a BOV or installing an intake kit + mess around with ECU? I just would like to know what'd the safest way to go, in case the car needs to go back in Subaru and I put back all the original parts, I don't want them voiding my warranty!!

Thanks in advance!!
    Snorkus delete.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Drews View Post
    Snorkus delete.
    08+ Don't have them.

Cobb Intake and a Accessport will give you what you are looking for.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Thanks maus, but do you know if the ECU registers is Accessport has been used?

Some says it does. some says it doesn't. I hear there is a counter and a way for them to check, but they aren't going to go digging into your ecu unless there is a serious issue. But if all your putting on is an intake and accessport you will be fine. You can literaly change the intake out in ten minutes.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

For now, that's all I'm doing, I'm fine with the cobb intake and accessport, my friends tell me it's a good tuning parts company, if you think it's safe enough then that's good news and makes me feel better (even tho I do not know you haha, you seem to know what you are talking about). I'll try and do more double checking to make sure the dealer won't try to just void my warranty, I know sometimes they are just dying to do so. Thanks bro!

Quote Originally Posted by powercub View Post
    For now, that's all I'm doing, I'm fine with the cobb intake and accessport, my friends tell me it's a good tuning parts company, if you think it's safe enough then that's good news and makes me feel better (even tho I do not know you haha, you seem to know what you are talking about). I'll try and do more double checking to make sure the dealer won't try to just void my warranty, I know sometimes they are just dying to do so. Thanks bro!
    There is nothing wrong with the COBB "SF" short ram intake for any year or model of Impreza. It is well manufactured, has it's own R&D (it's not just a stolen/copied design), a decent sound, and from what I understand, decent filter element lifespan. I don't know if it is CARB exempt (California Emissions Standard), but it definitely shouldn't void any warranty... I've got a short ram intake as well, on a 2002 WRX sedan, and my extended warranty is still fine. It does depend on the dealership/salesperson. I will warn you, eBay knockoffs do not make friends in the service departments of Subaru dealerships. Stick with reputed brands with quality products, and things will go well. It IS wise to check here and NASIOC, etc., for advice on large purchases. A pound of wisdom and an ounce of gold goes a lot further than a pound of gold and an ounce of wisdom.

The AccessPort has advantages over "Laptop Tuning", failsafe programming in the AccessPort will prevent engine damage in many cases, some reflash programs do not offer any more than a disclaimer "we are not responsible if you torch your car with our device" type of stuff. Cobb also has a customer service department... RomRaider has a forum and a discussion group, etc... but I'd trust the AccessPort a lot further on a new car.

Some Subaru dealers have accounts with Cobb, and offer AccessPorts as aftermarket accessories right on the sales floor, along with tuning software services and some parts upgrades like exhaust and intake, shifter assemblies... ask your dealership's sales crew when a few salespeople are gathered. The group enthusiasm will help. Individually, salespeople may be shy about it because they know they are setting you up for more power, and older more conservative sellers don't like being responsible for that kind of after-market service since inevitably the increase in power will increase wear on the vehicle. Some dealers will also refuse to install anything that isn't Subaru of America branded with a part number... at which point it is possible to ask for a ProDrive ECU upgrade for about $10K... which will give you everything available with an AccessPort for 20x the cost... though I'm not sure if those upgrades are available on newer models... I know a bugeye can take the PD race ECU as a direct swap... wouldn't mind knowing if that is available for 2011+ STi?

Meanwhile... I am still stoked on the results of the 2010 STi intercooler with Greddy RZ bpv w/ RS hotpipe... silent. Quieter discharge than the stock BPV, even with the short-ram.
    Also still using a Hallman remote ceramic MBC. 19psi on a PnP'd stock td04. lol

I am looking into new turbos... Since that's probably going to involve a V mount IC/Rad, I'll be re-installing the Greddy BPV, and will have more pics.
    seems pics say a lot.

let's just consider this:

I get full warranty service, and any recall notice is served by our local Subaru dealer without question. The mechanics are all pleased with the upgrades, and no one feels the safety of the car is compromised, if anything, it is safer and more solid than it was from the factory... there ARE bad mods, just read before you wrench, and you will be in great shape.

as for a blow off valve on a Subaru... lol... until you are using a FMIC and are running 24psi, why bother....

WAH

psh.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0
    The AccessPort has advantages over "Laptop Tuning", failsafe programming in the AccessPort will prevent engine damage in many cases, some reflash programs do not offer any more than a disclaimer "we are not responsible if you torch your car with our device" type of stuff. Cobb also has a customer service department... RomRaider has a forum and a discussion group, etc... but I'd trust the AccessPort a lot further on a new car.
    What are these "failsafe programming" features you speak of, which "will prevent engine damage"? The Cobb AP modifies the ECU the same way you do with a laptop/Tactrix: manipulating tables. As long as you're familiar with what you're doing, the Cobb AP is no safer than OpenECU.

Of course OpenECU isn't going to warranty anything. It's free software and doesn't offer base maps (it's up to the end-user to source a map). A tuner who creates OpenECU maps should offer some type of warranty / customer support, just like Cobb does. Cobb won't fix your bricked ECU free of charge, neither will Tactrix; I'm pretty sure Cobb charges more than the $75 that Tactrix does, as well.
    Last edited by EJ257; 07-01-2012 at 06:52 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

AP vs Tractix...

the hardware are just interfaces people.. nothing more nothing less. for Pete's sake why does no one understand that??

Cobb will accept no liability beyond their own warranty. That said, along with the price you pay you do have the option of their forums, customer support (which is very good btw) and some really decent tuners that also utilize the cobb products.

Both are good interfaces, decide which one fits your skill level and needs.. and buy what YOU need.

SILLY RICER.. BOV'S ARE FOR KIDS
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Holy **** man, thank you for taking time to write all this up for me, it is very helpful to a NB like me, and for that, you rock bro! BTW, whats under that hood simply looks SICK! How much did you pay for that intercooler? This setup seems very clean and neat. Since it does come down to the dealership and the salesman, how do you suggest I approach them to double check about my warranty??

Thanks!!!!!
    Alex C

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the COBB "SF" short ram intake for any year or model of Impreza. It is well manufactured, has it's own R&D (it's not just a stolen/copied design), a decent sound, and from what I understand, decent filter element lifespan. I don't know if it is CARB exempt (California Emissions Standard), but it definitely shouldn't void any warranty... I've got a short ram intake as well, on a 2002 WRX sedan, and my extended warranty is still fine. It does depend on the dealership/salesperson. I will warn you, eBay knockoffs do not make friends in the service departments of Subaru dealerships. Stick with reputed brands with quality products, and things will go well. It IS wise to check here and NASIOC, etc., for advice on large purchases. A pound of wisdom and an ounce of gold goes a lot further than a pound of gold and an ounce of wisdom.
    There's nothing "wrong" with any quality short ram intake. You could almost take the word "quality" out of that sentence since it's really just a tube with filter on the end and a hole for the MAF. The problem they introduce is they often rob you of power because you significantly raise your intake charge temps by sucking in hot engine compartment air. CAIs >>> SRIs for this exact reason.

I'll leave out from this the fact the factory intake already has the ability to draw more air than your engine can use unless you've done a turbo swap, so all they do is produce more noise and don't give you any real performance increase anyway. On the late-model WRX and STI models evidence for the first time shows a power increase from an aftermarket CAI versus the stock airbox and filter, but it's not really much increase and the sound is still the real benefit on an otherwise stage 2 or less car.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    An intake that decreases filtration will not be fitted to my car. They need to prove via reproducible UOA data that particulates in the oil are the same or lower than when the authentic intake is used before I'll consider an imitation ("aftermarket").
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    An intake that decreases filtration will not be fitted to my car. They need to prove via reproducible UOA data that particulates in the oil are the same or lower than when the authentic intake is used before I'll consider an imitation ("aftermarket").
    Which means you'll never run an aftermarket intake right? I don't think 99.999% of people that use them understand they all significantly reduce filtration of particles that increase wear on your engine. Then there's the fact those same 99.999% don't understand a dirty oiled filter is a better oiled filter and it works WAY better than a new or newly cleaned oiled filter, and you're not supposed to clean them very often. But I'd be preaching to the choir with you right?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Generally, yes, I've yet to see an intake that works better than stock. If one did I'd be interested, why not, but so far, not much out there.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.