"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 763

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by ride5000 you just keep believing what you want to believe. Well, my muffler is probably a huge ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ride5000 View Post
    you just keep believing what you want to believe.

Well, my muffler is probably a huge restriction (04-05 STi axleback), but the entire rest of my exhaust is wide open. I'm going to post back to back dyno charts with my exhaust cutout closed vs. open. I would like to see the same done on a completely stock car vs. aftermarket catback. I'm honestly surprised no one has done this.

I'm not saying there will be no change, but I'm willing to bet the difference is negligible. Then compare that difference vs. aftermarket downpipe. That will show you where the greatest restriction is in the exhaust system.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    There is truth to what Ken is saying, but it's not a very appreciable gain.

I wouldn't dismiss him so quickly. He may not post here as much as Nasioc, but that doesn't discredit him.
    I'm fine with not discrediting someone, but if you are going to come in here and tout your knowledge, explain a little bit more than "Engine tuning 101." That kinda stuff doesn't help anyone.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Well, my muffler is probably a huge restriction (04-05 STi axleback), but the entire rest of my exhaust is wide open. I'm going to post back to back dyno charts with my exhaust cutout closed vs. open. I would like to see the same done on a completely stock car vs. aftermarket catback. I'm honestly surprised no one has done this.

I'm not saying there will be no change, but I'm willing to bet the difference is negligible. Then compare that difference vs. aftermarket downpipe. That will show you where the greatest restriction is in the exhaust system.
    Yeah but you will no longer be relevant when you're pushing 500whp ...didn't I say that in another thread to you?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    I think my car has some relevance.. maybe?

I Support ClubWRX
    BTW, no one told me what BOV to get! I'm thinking I might get a custom intake made so I can pull vacuum from my catch can, then I would be able to keep my Forge recirculating valve.. if I end up skipping that and just stick a filter on the turbo I'm thinking Tial makes good VTA blow off valves..

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I think my car has some relevance.. maybe?
    That was sarcasm

Yes because you're making significantly more power than most of us around here with a Subaru, your point of restriction will in fact be the CBE, where at normal Stage 2 levels, a CBE won't contribute much in the way of noticeable power, when compared to replacing the DP.

Question! I'll will be "stage 2" by the end of the week. Stock air box with K&N filter, 3" TBE and COBB AP Stage 2 tune. Would the difference between the stock BOV and an aftermarket BOV be a significant one? Just trying to decide how big of a priority it needs to be to swap to an aftermarket valve. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by boone1186 View Post
    Question! I'll will be "stage 2" by the end of the week. Stock air box with K&N filter, 3" TBE and COBB AP Stage 2 tune. Would the difference between the stock BOV and an aftermarket BOV be a significant one? Just trying to decide how big of a priority it needs to be to swap to an aftermarket valve. Thanks in advance!
    Still not necessary at those power levels. Stocker should be fine.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by boone1186 View Post
    There's no "difference." As long as your stock BPV isn't leaking, it's doing its job properly.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax

There's no "difference." As long as your stock BPV isn't leaking, it's doing its job properly.
    +1

Sent from my Android using Forum Runner
    Greg
    Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Got it. Thanks for answering my noob question with respect haha.
    2010 WRB WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    TIAL makes BOVs I'd buy
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    TIAL makes BOVs I'd buy

Yeah, I'm gettin the Tial.. the only problem with it is there's a lot of trial and error getting it shimmed just right so it doesn't leak.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yo guys yo. I want to put a BOV in my BPV so I can Pshh while I woosh.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    ^^ Ban.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft