"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 761
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; you guys are definitely cracking me up....

I Support ClubWRX
    you guys are definitely cracking me up.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    I think I am going to punch a baby
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    LOL

ok, back on topic here, guys
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    LOL

ok, back on topic here, guys
    In that case, I actually said something smart!!!! This was in regards to Mike193's question in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    Mikie, not sure if you know the answer to this, but if the BPV is more effective then the BOV (i've read all the threads, the summary I understand is, the BPV re-uses the pressure and has it available for the engine quicker, and the BOV gets rid of it, causing the turbo to have to create more) Basically my question is, in what situation is the BOV better then the BPV? i was thinking the BPV would be better no matter what situation. But I guess maybe like a quick spooling turbo, it doesn't matter? I'm lost, please explain if you know.
    In most instances a BOV won't be better, period. Usually they are only used in much higher horsepower situations where boost will be raised significantly higher. The stock BPV on 02-07 models are good to about 20-22psi before they run into a possibility of leaking boost. And on the 2008-2012 models, the BPV is actually known to be a lot weaker from what I've read. Replacing with aftermarket recirculating BPVs aren't a bad idea for an upgrade if you start pushing Stage 2 power levels, which usually is higher than 19psi in STIs (17psi or so in WRXs I believe).

BOVs can be run if the intake metering is changed from MAF, (which we currently have which pre-meters the air, accounting for the recirculated air pushed in from a BPV) to a MAP set up, which is manifold absolute pressure (aka Speed Density). The ECU would read the air already in the manifold as opposed to the air being metered in from the intake, in which case it wouldn't matter if the recirculated BPV charge was in there or not.

The BPV generally doesn't have anything to do with the spooling of the turbo...only with the discharging of excess pressure during shifting.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Poor Garr Bear
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I am trying to get my b.f to sell her after market bov, what would be best, go back to the stock bpv or i have seen go fast bits, i want her to gain a lil hp here and there, she wants to do a catback exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by gaspricessuckk View Post
    I am trying to get my b.f to sell her after market bov, what would be best, go back to the stock bpv or i have seen go fast bits, i want her to gain a lil hp here and there, she wants to do a catback exhaust.
    BOVs and BPVs do absolutely nothing to provide any power gains. Stock BPV is best on any application generally under 20psi of boost (which you aren't anywhere near). What year/model/mods to begin with anyway?

And for that matter, Catback exhausts don't do anything for power gains either.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

Yeah that is what I thought, I have been reading a few threads, check my thread in the new member forum.

Stock 2002 bugeye as they call it, wrx impreza 5 speed 151k.

I should say she wants to do a exhaust and wanted intake but convinced her to do uppipe.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    And for that matter, Catback exhausts don't do anything for power gains either.

I wouldn't say that's entirely true. It really depends on your mod level. I'm running an OEM STi axleback on my car and when I was talking to my tuner the other night about the next round of work we're about to start on my car he said the muffler was going to be a major restriction. I'm going to open the cutout for part of the tune, but he said it would be a big enough difference that I will need a different map for with the cutout open, and one for with it closed.

Does anyone actually use a blow off valve?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    Does anyone actually use a blow off valve?

I hear them all the time at the track on WRXs running 15 second 1/4 miles..

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    I wouldn't say that's entirely true. It really depends on your mod level. I'm running an OEM STi axleback on my car and when I was talking to my tuner the other night about the next round of work we're about to start on my car he said the muffler was going to be a major restriction. I'm going to open the cutout for part of the tune, but he said it would be a big enough difference that I will need a different map for with the cutout open, and one for with it closed.
    Well yeah, but the OP is assumedly starting at a "stockish" level given a BOV, low level of knowledge (prompting for research and questions), and the fact they are asking about a CBE...

You're near or above 400whp, which I know that's when a CBE really can become a restriction, cause at that point it will be the bottle neck in your exhaust

You're near or above 400whp, which I know that's when a CBE really can become a restriction, cause at that point it will be the bottle neck in your exhaust

Should be 470-490whp by the end of the month.. fingers crossed.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Should be 470-490whp by the end of the month.. fingers crossed.
    Holy bajeesus. It never ends, does it?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Holy bajeesus. It never ends, does it?

no...

I'm really hoping everything goes well with this build and that I'm satisfied for a good amount of time.. I can't afford to keep doing this, lol.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.