"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 758
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; In all seriousness though have you read the big BOV thread? An atmospheric BOV will do you no good and ...

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    In all seriousness though have you read the big BOV thread? An atmospheric BOV will do you no good and potentially cause issues. Unless you are at a high enough boost level that your OEM piece cannot handle it there is no need to waste the money. When you do reach that level stay away from ebay parts in every facet of your car, they are junk and a disgrace to your car. When that time comes buy a high quality BPV (not BOV) and install it with new gaskets.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    In all seriousness though have you read the big BOV thread? An atmospheric BOV will do you no good and potentially cause issues. Unless you are at a high enough boost level that your OEM piece cannot handle it there is no need to waste the money. When you do reach that level stay away from ebay parts in every facet of your car, they are junk and a disgrace to your car. When that time comes buy a high quality BPV (not BOV) and install it with new gaskets.
    Im just worried about when i go stage 2 if the boost spike is something to worry about and if i should change out the stock.. ive heard the stock is only good up to so many psi

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch89 View Post
    Im just worried about when i go stage 2 if the boost spike is something to worry about and if i should change out the stock.. ive heard the stock is only good up to so many psi
    You just mentioned concerns that were answered in the post you quoted. Step 1. Read the BOV thread. Step 2. Read up on the hundreds of threads about newer WRX/STI models that have BPV's capable of lower psi. Step 3. Read the hundreds of threads concerning different BPV's and their quality. Step 3. Decide if you will be at the power level that requires an aftermarket BPV. Step 4. Buy a quality BPV. Step 5. Install it properly with a new gasket and proper clamping technique. Step 6. Observe the car's behaviors and possibly even datalog to make sure the BPV has not caused any issues
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

BOV's Anonymous...your 6 step program. Pre-program step...acknowledging you have a BOV problem
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    I recommend the Forge BPV - full recirc, subtle, solid, and no performance issues.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I Support ClubWRX
    TiC's time attack car uses the stock BPV at like 25psi
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    TiC's time attack car uses the stock BPV at like 25psi
    Modified OE one? They're also likely not using the plastic valve from the '08+...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    yes... modified 02-07 one.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Question What BOV should i get for my 02 wrx?

right now im running around 320 hp in my car i have a wide variety of upgrades.

I'm currently thinking about getting a Turbo XS RFL bov

I'm open to suggestions and if there is anything particually cool about it let me know.
    I heard about a HKS bov that you can change the sound i wanna look more into that.

I Support ClubWRX
    Is your OE valve leaking? If not, you're better off sticking with that...

If you must get an aftermarket valve, consider recirculating valves. Look at Tial, Cobb, or Forge.

If you must get an aftermarket valve, and you want to be obnoxious by VTA without reason, look at Tial / APS / Cobb.

UNYSOC

right now i currently have the stock valve on and there is nothing wrong with it i'm just doing it to add a little bit of noise to my car also it may give me a lil HP

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ExceedingLife
    right now i currently have the stock valve on and there is nothing wrong with it i'm just doing it to add a little bit of noise to my car also it may give me a lil HP
    If your stock valve isn't leaking, an aftermarket valve will not benefit you other than sound. In fact, on a MAF-tuned car, a VTA valve may actually decrease performance.

If you're looking for power, list everything that's done to the car...

UNYSOC

I have Tial 50mm BOV on my '02 WRX. Had 9psi spring, couldn't hold the vacuum. Changed it for 11psi and it still opens when idle. Should go for 12psi spring?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by t6nis1234
    I have Tial 50mm BOV on my '02 WRX. Had 9psi spring, couldn't hold the vacuum. Changed it for 11psi and it still opens when idle. Should go for 12psi spring?

Does the 50 allow for adjustment besides swapping springs? If not, you may need to consider adding washers.
    Last edited by EJ257; 03-18-2012 at 04:32 AM.

UNYSOC

No other adjustment possible. I think I still try 12psi spring also and after that work it out with washers.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.