"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 754

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; yes. Quite a few have....

I Support ClubWRX
    yes. Quite a few have.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is there anything to fix this. I'm about to go to a bigger turbo system with supporting mods?

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a car putting out 380whp on a big turbo... I'm only at 21psi... the stock valve should be good until 20-22psi. What're you doing to your car that's going to mandate that you need a BOV?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I bought it for sound not realizing it would make my car run bad. I was looking at gettin the forge recirc valve once I get my bigger turbo.

I Support ClubWRX
    turn around and sell it to someone else that wants the sound, but doesn't care about the idle problems.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

2011 WRX Go Fast Bits Respons Bypass Valve

2011 WRX Go Fast Bits Respons Bypass Valve: JSC Speed

Could I still have Idle problems with the GFB BPV? Or this is better to run as opposed to a HKS SSQ BOV? Thanks for the input!

I Support ClubWRX
    If it's set to 100% recirc (or anything more than 70% recirc) you should be fairly well off
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    If it's set to 100% recirc (or anything more than 70% recirc) you should be fairly well off
    Yeah the GFB BPV can be manually set by the user for different settings, If It wasn't adjustable I wouldn't go near it. Thanks for clearing that up for me, wasn't totally sure.
    2011 DMG WRX
    NOKYA Stg. 1 Hyper Yellow DRLs
    Nameless Performance Quad Piped AxleBack
    Stink-Eye Mob #420

I Support ClubWRX
    it's not worth the money in my opinion.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

it's not worth the money in my opinion.
    Yeah there is mixed opinions about it, but if it's better than my stock BPV (slightly) I might look into it.

Wonder why they have a lot of BPVs for sale if everyone says they are not worth it?
    2011 DMG WRX
    NOKYA Stg. 1 Hyper Yellow DRLs
    Nameless Performance Quad Piped AxleBack
    Stink-Eye Mob #420

It's not worth it because it does the same thing as the stock one. I have the Cobb XLE, and I sort of regret spending $275 on it. I had it set to 50/50 mode, but the car didn't run the way I wanted it to, so i switched it to recirculating. There's no point in spending so much money for no reason.
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Turb0Licious
    Yeah there is mixed opinions about it, but if it's better than my stock BPV (slightly) I might look into it.

Wonder why they have a lot of BPVs for sale if everyone says they are not worth it?
    Is your current valve leaking? If not, it isn't worth spending the money if you're not looking for the sound. When your OE valve starts to leak, then look to upgrade.

There are many aftermarket valves for sale for two reasons:
    1) OE valves on the '08+ aren't as stout as '02-'07
    2) People will buy them thinking they're an upgrade when they're really not (like if their OE valve isn't leaking)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I have been reading this thread for a long time, and I have tried 5 valves.
    OEM worked perfectly. Ha!
    GoFastBits worked fine on full recirc, but the whole valve is smaller inside than stock (24mm diaphraghm ID/30mm outlet ID), so other than being capable of holding down 40+psi, it was useless for $300... I tried an OBX copy of the GoFastBits piece and it was even worse... 28mm outlet ID. Waste of money. I got a fake GReddy RS and homejobbed the hose fitment so that it ran as a BPV and it was perfect 'til I got the IC and turbo treated, then it got leaky... it was an eBay knockoff so I figured this would happen.
    Meanwhile I got a killer deal on a TurboXS RBV-H and since I had the OEM J bend from the BPV that came with my old IC, I tried that and it was also junk. Not that the valve is made poorly, does what it is supposed to do in some such way outside of it's design parameters... nope, it was fine under 3500rpms most of the time... when it was valving below it's "Step" which is supposed to be what divides the 70% reciprocity... closer to a 50/50 really.
    So I ended up buying a GReddy RZ, a real one, and it's hotpipe kit from the RS Trust line of parts, and all of it's couplings, and I could not be happier.

I have a clipped TD04-H PnP'd and a headerback. I'd say I hold 20psi for 1200 to redline 2nd through 4th and 18psi 1st and 5th (JDM gearset).

I cannot hear shifts at that valve at all. It is remarkably silent. Far quieter than the OEM part. It fit on a 2010 STi intercooler in a 2002 WRX sedan with zero problems (Samco IC kit helped a lot). If you are looking for a new valve for the first time, try one.

It's not going to impress you with a cool sound, and it isn't going to look like jewelry (until you've had it for a while). It is quieter than the stock piece, stays cooler by several degrees at all times, holds massive boost levels, is faster reacting and less prone to surge than all of the other types I have used. In fact, since installation of this one, I have not had one negative reaction from my car at all. I would say you would be impressed with the rock solid reliability and reaction time that you will never out-shift. The hardpipe is a bit tedious to fit around the intercooler without anything touching anything, but once it's in, it is a comfy fit for everything...

so I suppose that turned into a review...

I am really glad to see this thread is moderated by cool headed guys. I've seen it get ugly in here, and it's nice that it's informative and reflective.

I still have the RBV-H and OBX bits if anyone wants them.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    I have a clipped TD04-H PnP'd and a headerback. I'd say I hold 20psi for 1200 to redline 2nd through 4th and 18psi 1st and 5th (JDM gearset).
    no way. 20psi at 1200rpms? no way.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    no way. 20psi at 1200rpms? no way.
    Super duper anit-lag? And if 20psi is trying to be held at redline as well,no bueno. Doesn't matter if the turbine is clipped or not.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S