"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 753
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; stock or use the proper forge valve for our cars. Either way venting to atmosphere is just to show off.. ...

stock or use the proper forge valve for our cars. Either way venting to atmosphere is just to show off.. has no benefit (if anything, as the thread dictates.. its more harmful than anything else).
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sjcurtis View Post
    I liked my Perrin bpv it was alot louder then the stock bpv and I had no problems out of it.
    Hm I never considered an aftermarket BPV being louder than the stock one, which I just realized I CAN actually hear a little when hammering from first to second.

True words? Can you get a slightly louder BPV that sounds cool and won't screw up your fuel/air ratio?

I had alot of people think that I was running a BOV because it was so loud but it was just a Perrin BPV and I had a CAI and the Perrin turbo inlet made it sound a little better also.

Quote Originally Posted by sjcurtis View Post
    I had alot of people think that I was running a BOV because it was so loud but it was just a Perrin BPV and I had a CAI and the Perrin turbo inlet made it sound a little better also.
    yep...this is about the only "safe" combination to not see any issues with an aftermarket BOV...considering it still runs similar to how the stock system works, just with upgraded parts (this post intended for those in this thread that don't know what they are doing, as I know you know your stuff SJ ).
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I have just ordered another one to go on my 2011 STI. I will try to get a sound clip of the BPV after I install it.

if i get a new bov do i need to take it to a shop to get it tuned or anything?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JakeReed
    if i get a new bov do i need to take it to a shop to get it tuned or anything?
    No

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

The object is DON'T get a new BOV. Blow-OFF-valves are bad. BPV, or ByPASS valves, are fine. preferably 100%, 50% recirc still vents 50% to atmosphere and messes you up
    Last edited by Pylonpounder; 10-04-2011 at 10:08 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylonpounder
    Blow-OFF-valves are bad.
    No, they aren't. They aren't ideal on a MAF-based car, but UTECs are cheap, which would eliminate any fueling issue with them.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Few Questions:

Just got my '11 WRX after having my '04 PG GLI for years, and I had a Forge 007 DV on it, after getting rid of the XS I had on.

1. Can you run DVs on WRXs? Will it still run rich?

2. With a CAI and a new Bypass valve, will you hear it more, like you do when you have a CAI and a DV?

3. Are there any safe BOVs for WRXs out there? What is the difference between 100% atmospheric and a recirculating Bypass Valve? Is one safer?

Thanks for the feedback, new to BOVs sort of, and haven't tuned since 04' I'm sure things have changed.

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Turb0Licious View Post
    Few Questions:

Just got my '11 WRX after having my '04 PG GLI for years, and I had a Forge 007 DV on it, after getting rid of the XS I had on.

1. Can you run DVs on WRXs? Will it still run rich?

2. With a CAI and a new Bypass valve, will you hear it more, like you do when you have a CAI and a DV?

3. Are there any safe BOVs for WRXs out there? What is the difference between 100% atmospheric and a recirculating Bypass Valve? Is one safer?

Thanks for the feedback, new to BOVs sort of, and haven't tuned since 04' I'm sure things have changed.
    1. Yes but they will be commonly referred to as BPV (at least thats my understanding of what a DV is). No you won't run rich but your car is already running a BPV so there is no reason to waste money replacing it.
    2. Yes, it will increase the sound. Just be sure to get an intake that is known to work well with your car and know if that intake requires a tune or not
    3. Not in 98% of cases. There are definitely "good" BOV's vs crap ones but you must be careful and they often are still a bad idea without an alternative tuning option such as UTEC or for guys not running of MAF's anymore (speed density). In short, they are for more specialty applications that stock or near stock ones most of the time

Overall, your better off putting that few hundred dollars into other aspects of your car
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

Quote Originally Posted by GarrettKoonsman View Post
    1. Yes but they will be commonly referred to as BPV (at least thats my understanding of what a DV is). No you won't run rich but your car is already running a BPV so there is no reason to waste money replacing it.
    2. Yes, it will increase the sound. Just be sure to get an intake that is known to work well with your car and know if that intake requires a tune or not
    3. Not in 98% of cases. There are definitely "good" BOV's vs crap ones but you must be careful and they often are still a bad idea without an alternative tuning option such as UTEC or for guys not running of MAF's anymore (speed density). In short, they are for more specialty applications that stock or near stock ones most of the time

Overall, your better off putting that few hundred dollars into other aspects of your car
    Finally, someone asking good questions about BOVs...and Garrett comes through with some good answers.

Keep in mind that the stock BPVs are generally considered good at holding/releasing boost until the 20-22psi range. Stock, you are only running 13.5 or so PSI on a WRX and only 17 PSI on an STI. So, reliability reasons, you just don't need one until you start increasing your boost (which is done through mods and specifically, tuning). My first STI was tuned to 20.5psi, stage 2 protuned...and would sometimes get up to 23psi or so during the cold season, and my stock BPV held boost fine. So ultimately TurboLicious, you don't really need one and as Garrett says, are better off using your money for better improvements.

Where in the NJ/PA area are you located. I live in Philly and work in NJ. Welcome!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Finally, someone asking good questions about BOVs...and Garrett comes through with some good answers.

Keep in mind that the stock BPVs are generally considered good at holding/releasing boost until the 20-22psi range. Stock, you are only running 13.5 or so PSI on a WRX and only 17 PSI on an STI. So, reliability reasons, you just don't need one until you start increasing your boost (which is done through mods and specifically, tuning). My first STI was tuned to 20.5psi, stage 2 protuned...and would sometimes get up to 23psi or so during the cold season, and my stock BPV held boost fine. So ultimately TurboLicious, you don't really need one and as Garrett says, are better off using your money for better improvements.

Where in the NJ/PA area are you located. I live in Philly and work in NJ. Welcome!
    Thanks for the feedback, both of you.

I did a little reading up on it, as I've been out of the tuning game for 7 years now (had an '04 PG GLI, modded) and only ran a Forge 007 DV on my GLI and with my Carbonio CAI I heard my DV a ton, but hardly at all without CAI. Will my stock BPV be a lot louder with a CAI? I like the sound, but of course won't sacrifice or harm my WRX by throwing on a BOV, so thats the only reason I was looking into aftermarket BPV.

Currently I'm in Erie PA working up here, but I'm originally from Monmouth County NJ.

You will hear the stock BPV rather audibly if you add a CAI. However, an intake is a part that needs to be tuned for on the 2011 WRXs to operate correctly.

I have a turbo xs rfl bov which is 100% atmosphere. I currently have this uninstalled because it was making my car run really ****ty and it would occasionally stall out. Anybody else have this problem?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.