"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 752

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; VVVVV HELP 2011 wrx BROKEN HELP - Page 2 - NASIOC...

Banned

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

so if i wanted to get an after market BOV. Which one(s) would you recommend for an 02 wrx? i was browsing on
    Blow Off Valves at RallySportDirect.com

and trying to see if there were any reviews, but most of them don't. Thanks all, i know from reading that its bad, but i'm just infatuated with the sound lol
    i iz a noob!
    www.garageworks.co/

Quote Originally Posted by O HELLA JDM View Post
    so if i wanted to get an after market BOV. Which one(s) would you recommend for an 02 wrx? i was browsing on
    Blow Off Valves at RallySportDirect.com

and trying to see if there were any reviews, but most of them don't. Thanks all, i know from reading that its bad, but i'm just infatuated with the sound lol
    I have several, and an 02/03 WRX w/ 2010 STi intercooler and a stock turbo. The various valves all offer the same jargon, loud for this reason or that, faster reaction times for one reason or another, and it is all subjective. in other words, its a lot of words. A faster valve typically has a weaker assembly, and the faster timing is due to a lighter valve. A heavier spring is used with a lighter spring, and yes, will hold boost adequately for years. There are also those which offer very high boost retention capabilities, and this brings me to say it is you who matter more than the car because:

venting to atmosphere is illegal. It sounds cool, but it stinks. You'll impress someone until they go for a ride with you and the smell of gas turns anyone who wonders if you have a sleeper world champion right into a friend with a headache, complaining that your car smells.

the offerrings which offer big boost retention, like TurboXS, which I have one of installed now, and like, take major thinking out, because the flanges are finicky, you really need superior hardware to the BPV fastener bolts on the OEM intercooler... I used TastyNuts titanium, and no problems. I am using a 50/50 RFL-H v2. The pain in it is that the flanges are not going to seal until you really torque them down onto the IC. You can get an aftermarket flange kit and cheat it, but the recommended torque is about 4lb greater than stock. This will alleviate the leakage issue with:
    HKS' SSQV
    Tial Alpha
    Greddy RZ
    TXS RFL,RFLh,RFLhV2
    etc

if you are not sure about the tuning aspect of this, get a tuneable one like the GoFastBits piece. It can be made into any type of valve with a dial and knob, and it will be something most will never outboost. I believe it (all recent GFB stuff) is rated at 75psi.

Theres a million other things that can be done to a Rex that will make it a better car besides a noisemaker, just thought I'd say that 'n take the flames.

BOTTOM LINE: I do not recommend a blow off valve unless you NEED one. I had an HKS SSQV and the car ran like crap. I have a Cobb XLE BPV, which I had set to 50/50, and the car had turbo lag, in addition to spelling like pure fuel every time I started it up. Stick to the stock BPV people!
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan

I liked my Perrin bpv it was alot louder then the stock bpv and I had no problems out of it.

i have an 05 wrx with a FMIC and it has an turbo xs atmospheric BOV and i want to switch to a perrin recirculating BPV. i talked to the guys at perrin and they said i need the stock wrx elbow from the stock BPV and the stock tube from the BPV to the intake manifold. i ordered the elbow but do i really need the stock tubing or what aftermarket tubing should i get???

also my car is tuned with the turbo xs BOV, will it hurt anything or make my car run like crap (already runs rich due to the turbo xs) if i just bolt the perrin one on without tuning it right away or should i get it tuned right away after i put it on?

sorry for all the questions i am new to subarus

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131 View Post
    BOTTOM LINE: I do not recommend a blow off valve unless you NEED one. I had an HKS SSQV and the car ran like crap. I have a Cobb XLE BPV, which I had set to 50/50, and the car had turbo lag, in addition to spelling like pure fuel every time I started it up. Stick to the stock BPV people!
    I'll trade you my APS 50/50 for your Cobb
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I'll trade you my APS 50/50 for your Cobb
    PM'ed!
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin

I Support ClubWRX
    C'mon guys. Help pressure (pun intended) him into swapping BOVs
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I was looking up the Forge and Perrin 100% Recirc BPV's and I didn't see any specifically for the 2011 WRX. Does anyone know if the ones that say "2001 and up" will work? The closest year range I found said 04-07 I think... I sent Forge an email asking them but I figured you guys would respond faster... and not try to BS me into buying something that won't fit.

Thanks for any input you guys have!
    "It's a shame that stupidity can't be converted into a usable energy source."

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    C'mon guys. Help pressure (pun intended) him into swapping BOVs
    mwahahahaha :-p
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx0131 View Post
    mwahahahaha :-p
    Let me know buddy. I really need to get a valve that'll handle mid 20's pressure
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I doubt I want to give it up...I like it, and it was a pain in the ass to put in lol
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin

This really is a big thread...

anyway, who thinks they could help fix some HKS SSQ problems? haha, well i got everything on proper atleast i thought, new gasket, new bolts, zip lined my vacuum lines, but im STILL not getting any blow off..i had to replace my Forge blow off because it was venting wrong, but this HKS wont vent at all..so im lost and stuck.. who can help me?

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 18GXTWRX View Post
    This really is a big thread...

anyway, who thinks they could help fix some HKS SSQ problems? haha, well i got everything on proper atleast i thought, new gasket, new bolts, zip lined my vacuum lines, but im STILL not getting any blow off..i had to replace my Forge blow off because it was venting wrong, but this HKS wont vent at all..so im lost and stuck.. who can help me?
    I can help you.....GO BACK TO STOCK. That is the only solution.
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics