"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 750

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone know the loudest hybrid bpv?(other than stock please) My mods are Cobb SF intake+Perrin Stage 1 tune. Thanks!...

Anyone know the loudest hybrid bpv?(other than stock please) My mods are Cobb SF intake+Perrin Stage 1 tune.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Stock
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Other than stock please!

The Perrin bpv is alot louder than the stock bpv.

Turbosmart dual port, Cobb XLE, or TurboXS? Which BPV is the loudest of them 3 when set to 50/50?

I am betting you would be much happier with a 70/30 BPV. 70 percent return means FAR FAR less fighting to create a balanced tune.

As far as loud... with those valves which offer adjustable venting ratio, there are few. Go Fast Bits TMS Respons or Deceptor Pro are very well made, as are TurboSmarts offerrings.
    There are various models of each, be sure to get your correct model and year during ordering so that your flange coupling is the right size and shape. Both companies make many trumpets, some loud, some quieter, some high pitched, some lower. It is personal taste what it sounds like.
    As far as louder?
    A blow off valve is louder when more air is pushed through it.

To get the loud explosion you are after, unfortunately to do it properly, it will require that the power be there, and the illusion of that power will be created by a valve which will cause problems (rich/lean during shifts).

If you want a loud valve, in other words, pump/injectors/IC/turbo upgrade... are neccessary upgrades to support the otherwise MOST debatable upgrade going.

If you want a loud valve and don't care if you are only making 50lb/ft of torque, it won't matter what valve you use, if it's venting as much as 50 percent of the gasses to atmosphere, it's going to make problems during other upgrades.

I own 3 valves, one is a TurboXS, and it has taken a lot of pain to remove leakage. It is sealed and works right, but I'd have gone with the Greddy RZ if I had to buy only one. It is flawlessly machined, worked right out of the box, and sounds like precision machinery at work, making driving more of a pleasure.
    Last edited by Impreza2.0; 07-31-2011 at 06:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    I am betting you would be much happier with a 70/30 BPV. 70 percent return means FAR FAR less fighting to create a balanced tune.

As far as loud... with those valves which offer adjustable venting ratio, there are few. Go Fast Bits TMS Respons or Deceptor Pro are very well made, as are TurboSmarts offerrings.
    There are various models of each, be sure to get your correct model and year during ordering so that your flange coupling is the right size and shape. Both companies make many trumpets, some loud, some quieter, some high pitched, some lower. It is personal taste what it sounds like.
    As far as louder?
    A blow off valve is louder when more air is pushed through it.

To get the loud explosion you are after, unfortunately to do it properly, it will require that the power be there, and the illusion of that power will be created by a valve which will cause problems (rich/lean during shifts).

If you want a loud valve, in other words, pump/injectors/IC/turbo upgrade... are neccessary upgrades to support the otherwise MOST debatable upgrade going.

If you want a loud valve and don't care if you are only making 50lb/ft of torque, it won't matter what valve you use, if it's venting as much as 50 percent of the gasses to atmosphere, it's going to make problems during other upgrades.

I own 3 valves, one is a TurboXS, and it has taken a lot of pain to remove leakage. It is sealed and works right, but I'd have gone with the Greddy RZ if I had to buy only one. It is flawlessly machined, worked right out of the box, and sounds like precision machinery at work, making driving more of a pleasure.
    THANK YOU! That was some very good information. I appreciate the time you put to type it. Anyways I am looking for something more high pitched that doesnt really sound like a sneeze(like the ssqv) but can run 50/50. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by stanley92 View Post
    Turbosmart dual port, Cobb XLE, or TurboXS? Which BPV is the loudest of them 3 when set to 50/50?
    I'm not much help on BPVs other than installing the stocker because my boost hasn't been high enough to require one. But search some Youtube vids to get a better idea of how they sound.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I'm not much help on BPVs other than installing the stocker because my boost hasn't been high enough to require one. But search some Youtube vids to get a better idea of how they sound.
    I listened to many but they were all the same sound(the sneeze sounding one) the only one with a different one is a HKS SSQV but then I dont want it to be 100% VTA since my car will run rich.

I Support ClubWRX
    the 50/50s will not be that loud, due to the lower volume of air actually being vented to atmosphere. It's a trade-off, in my opinion:
    Loud & rich
    Quiet and stoich

Pick your poison.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    My Forge 100% recirculating BPV is plenty loud, it's not as high pitched as the HKS SSQV, but it's easily as loud as the TurboSmart atmospheric BOV that was on the car when I bought it.

Haha... it was as loud? It must have been so laggy and groggy at take-off... I bet you are loving life.

I agree, as do the consensus of those who have tried all of the options, and driveability overall is best with a bypass valve until you are looking into turbocharger upgrades, many of which can still benefit from the additional retained boost pressure of a sealed system.

That and the smell of gas tells everyone your car is a junkpile. Atmospheric valves may even end up illegal. Some CARB guy or gal will figure it out, and tell their crew... and we'll all be saving that 1/100000000 of a gallon each mile. I'm at roughly 85% return, 15 to the world. It shifts like butter, idles like Godzilla, and I like the 32mpg I get on country roads. I have duplicate gas costs to my wife's 2002 Civic 1.5L sedan. That car has a recorded 0-60 time of 23 seconds. The WRX on the other hand... 7. Weird? Nah, but with a blow off valve, the Civic may get close to the Veyron after all! (Joking)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    Atmospheric valves may even end up illegal.
    I have never seen one that is legal anywhere in the US.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    My Forge 100% recirculating BPV is plenty loud, it's not as high pitched as the HKS SSQV, but it's easily as loud as the TurboSmart atmospheric BOV that was on the car when I bought it.
    A 100% recirc as loud as the TurboSmart VTA BOV? Wow that sounds too good to be true but I am willing to give that one a try. Where did you order yours from? Oh and what are your mods?

I have a Cobb XLE currently set to 50/50, but I am going back to recirculating because it's very laggy...and rich...
    Bugeye Mafia #213
    Kevin
    2002 Midnight Black Pearl WRX (Traded In!)

2012 Ice Silver Metallic STi Sedan