"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 744
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; You aren't stalling because of the valve, you're stalling because of the giant vacuum leak you have created by leaving ...

You aren't stalling because of the valve, you're stalling because of the giant vacuum leak you have created by leaving that recirculating tube open. You could also be damaging your engine by running extremely lean by letting in all that unmetered air. At the very least, plug that tube up before you do further damage.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    You aren't stalling because of the valve, you're stalling because of the giant vacuum leak you have created by leaving that recirculating tube open. You could also be damaging your engine by running extremely lean by letting in all that unmetered air. At the very least, plug that tube up before you do further damage.
    This^
    lean A/F ratio + extra heat = Engine go boom
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #801
    The Impreza "this was repaired/replaced at what mileage" database (Please Contribute)
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...57#post2688257

Registered User GarrettKoonsman's Avatar
    I really hope this car doesnt get driven until this is fixed.....or else we might have a thread titled "help my motor died - what are my options"
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Sedan
    200.7 AWHP Protuned Stage 2 at 5400ft above sea level
    Bugeye Mafia Member #225
    Mods
    Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by spnkdrm View Post
    If your are looking for the vrrrooommmm PSH

Look at an intake or a snorkus delete. Much safer and you can tune for the intake....

Just my 2% of a dollar
    I was under the impression that the '08+ models didn't have a snorkus, otherwise I would have recommended that. Correct me if I'm wrong about that though.

To the OP: On the 2002-2007 cars for sure (maybe the later models as well), there is an intake silencer box located in the right front fender in the intake line. Removing this intake component provides much of the "woosh" sound people look for in a BOV, without the risk of engine damage.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

50/50 bov

hey i was looking into getting a 50/50 bov for my 02 wrx. looking for more noise, yeah i sound like a ricer idc. but i dont want to do more harm than good. i also saw somthing about removal of the intake resonator, but im concerned ill suck up water. any ideas?

Remove the air box resonator and replace it with a u tube, or you can mod your box just do a search or look in the DIY threads.

Use the search function, and stickies. BOVS are a bad plan. Sure, they sound "cool". They also release already measured air into the atmosphere, causing the engine to inject improper amounts of fuel, as it is the proper amount of fuel for if all that air was reaching the engine. Which it's not. So you tell me....if the noise still puts you 50/50 with that information, then feel free to install one, at your own risk. Messing with the a/f ratio is never a good thing. That's like getting an intake for a wrx. Why? Suck particulates into the engine, suck water into the engine, barely get any power gains....Just doesn't make sense why you'd mess with the a/f ratio for no benefit

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You can do an intake silencer delete. I've had mine for years with no issues

http://www.scoobymods.com/intake-sil...=&threadid=113

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    What modifications are done to the car? Going StageII+ with Speed Density (Group-N rom / UTEC) negates all the cons of an aftermarket valve (besides people thinking it's obnoxious) are negated.

Just be aware that it's not a plug-n-play, set & forget part. If you take the time to properly setup/maintain it, a quality valve shouldn't screw things up too badly on a MAF system (like stock).
    Last edited by EJ257; 04-27-2011 at 05:35 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Pylonpounder View Post
    That's like getting an intake for a wrx. Why? Suck particulates into the engine, suck water into the engine, barely get any power gains....Just doesn't make sense why you'd mess with the a/f ratio for no benefit
    You need to qualify this a bit. Your advice doesn't apply to anything other than an otherwise stock WRX, and doesn't apply to the latest models.
    1. Particulates will always increase versus a stock paper filter. I don't know of an aftermarket intake that filters the same or better. So that's true.
    2. Sucking water into the engine is an anomaly. It will only happen in rare circumstances if you hit a big pool of water, so just don't do that and you'll be fine.
    3. On older WRXs they didn't give much power, but on the newest models they seem to do a lot more.

And you forgot two of the big reasons people get them:
    1. Sound
    2. Dress up your engine bay (which I think is a stupid reason, but that's just me )
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

You're correct, the 2008+ models don't have the snorkus.

Damn that's a funny word.....
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post

Ok, I thought so. I remembered reading that when I removed the snorkus on my bugeye. Yes, yes it is a funny word. It sounds like some creature from Sesame Street.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

You need to qualify this a bit. Your advice doesn't apply to anything other than an otherwise stock WRX, and doesn't apply to the latest models.
    1. Particulates will always increase versus a stock paper filter. I don't know of an aftermarket intake that filters the same or better. So that's true.
    2. Sucking water into the engine is an anomaly. It will only happen in rare circumstances if you hit a big pool of water, so just don't do that and you'll be fine.
    3. On older WRXs they didn't give much power, but on the newest models they seem to do a lot more.

And you forgot two of the big reasons people get them:
    1. Sound
    2. Dress up your engine bay (which I think is a stupid reason, but that's just me )
    Is there anything that you dont think is stupid other then suspension upgrades?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Ok, I thought so. I remembered reading that when I removed the snorkus on my bugeye. Yes, yes it is a funny word. It sounds like some creature from Sesame Street.
    08 wrx intake silencer delete
    Others have found a similar solution

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sjcurtis
    Is there anything that you dont think is stupid other then suspension upgrades?
    Really? Let's keep things civil...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.