"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 737
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by MAD CRAZY STI bump Any reason why you want it closer to the MAF? It's not going ...

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD CRAZY STI View Post
    bump
    Any reason why you want it closer to the MAF? It's not going to do any good for you to have it closer to the MAF than the turbo, as long as it's not going BEFORE the MAF, you should be fine.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Any reason why you want it closer to the MAF? It's not going to do any good for you to have it closer to the MAF than the turbo, as long as it's not going BEFORE the MAF, you should be fine.
    No it's just that I have my recirculating hose come up to to aluminum part of the SPT short ram intake, drilled a hole and threaded it with a barbed fitting. It is about 3 or 4 inches past the MAF. the reason being that my inlet hose doesn't have a "T" for the recirculating hose and I won't cut into the rubber hose. I know I need to save up for a Perrin inlet hose

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD CRAZY STI View Post
    the reason being that my inlet hose doesn't have a "T" for the recirculating hose and I won't cut into the rubber hose. I know I need to save up for a Perrin inlet hose
    What inlet do you have? There is no "T" for the recirculation hose. Its the largest hose on the inlet so it has its own nipple to use.
    Last edited by Donkey; 08-09-2010 at 05:53 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper_WRX View Post
    I have the GFB and it is awesome. I originally had it on 100% vent and it sounded great. Then I tried it 50/50 and it sounds good as well. I'm still running 50/50 now. Check it out...Dan at Vivid is a great guy to deal with...really cool.
    SO. When you had it running at 50 50 did you find that the stalling/running lean problem wasn't as bad with half off the blow off going back in to the intake??

Question about bov

I got a turbo xs bov from my friend off his 02 wrx, and i put it on my 07 wrx. I know you should get your car tuned and everything however my car seems to be running/driving just fine. Do you think I still should get it tuned or would it be okay without a tune? and please I would appreciate if I didnt get negative responses for this. Thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zMcAspirE View Post
    I got a turbo xs bov from my friend off his 02 wrx, and i put it on my 07 wrx. I know you should get your car tuned and everything however my car seems to be running/driving just fine. Do you think I still should get it tuned or would it be okay without a tune? and please I would appreciate if I didnt get negative responses for this. Thanks.
    you can't really "tune" for a BOV. If this is the only thing you've done to your engine, then no, you don't need a tune.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Pardon my ignorance, I'm new to the turbo scene and just picked up my '11 wrx this weekend, but what is the advantage to adding an aftermarket BOV, besides the noise? I've seen 50-50 BOVs and 100% BOVs, is there an advantage to one over the other? Any help is appreciated!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, I'm new to the turbo scene and just picked up my '11 wrx this weekend, but what is the advantage to adding an aftermarket BOV, besides the noise? I've seen 50-50 BOVs and 100% BOVs, is there an advantage to one over the other? Any help is appreciated!
    until you're in the big HP ranges, and well over 20psi, there is absolutely no advantage.

Other than going to a full-metal/billet unit and removing a plastic POS one, there is none. Even then, though, it's really money that could be spent elsewhere for better usage.
    Rogan o_0

Hey everyone, i'm sure these questions have already been asked and i'm sorry if i'm repeating a question, but i didn't want to read through the 500+ pages to find it.

Are there any benefits to an aftermarket BPV? Or should i just stick with the stock one?

And if i do later do a turbo upgrade and get the higher pressure will i have to get a BOV or can i stick with the BPV(stock or aftermarket) and the EWG?

I really don't need the 'cool' noise. I just want my sexy machine to run at it's best without the lean situation. Which would lead me to another question of, does an EWG cause your vehicle to run lean since it's dumping the air?

Thanks a ton for any information!!
    2007 Satin White Pearl WRX TR
    1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/photog...ng-thread.html
    "big, healthy, husky, fluffy, DAYYUM, oh hell no"

Quote Originally Posted by 1speed...FAST! View Post
    Hey everyone, i'm sure these questions have already been asked and i'm sorry if i'm repeating a question, but i didn't want to read through the 500+ pages to find it.

Are there any benefits to an aftermarket BPV? Or should i just stick with the stock one?

And if i do later do a turbo upgrade and get the higher pressure will i have to get a BOV or can i stick with the BPV(stock or aftermarket) and the EWG?

I really don't need the 'cool' noise. I just want my sexy machine to run at it's best without the lean situation. Which would lead me to another question of, does an EWG cause your vehicle to run lean since it's dumping the air?

Thanks a ton for any information!!
    You won't need an aftermarket BPV until you get over (correct me if I'm wrong) 21 PSI. I have seen many people still using the stocker even with a bigger turbo. As for the EWG, you'll need a better tune than an OTS tune like the ones that come on the Cobb AP's.
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

Quote Originally Posted by benson156 View Post
    You won't need an aftermarket BPV until you get over (correct me if I'm wrong) 21 PSI. I have seen many people still using the stocker even with a bigger turbo. As for the EWG, you'll need a better tune than an OTS tune like the ones that come on the Cobb AP's.
    Thanks for the info! Anymore from others is gladly excepted

When i get around to doing this in the far future, I'll definitely be getting pro-tuned for a DD and Fun map. Which makes me think of another question(sorry i'll have hundreds to get my car done right). I'll have to get a Cobb AP to put the maps on won't i? or is there a different not so expensive application to put the maps in?
    1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine

Thanks for the info! Anymore from others is gladly excepted

When i get around to doing this in the far future, I'll definitely be getting pro-tuned for a DD and Fun map. Which makes me think of another question(sorry i'll have hundreds to get my car done right). I'll have to get a Cobb AP to put the maps on won't i? or is there a different not so expensive application to put the maps in?
    I looked into the BPV question you had earlier and found a post on NASIOC with some fella saying that he was running an FP Green turbo set @ 24 PSI and his stock BPV was still holding fine but I have seen others say that they replaced it once they got above 21 PSI so it kinda seems like it depends on who you talk to! Pro tune is the best way to go by far, OTS maps are not as reliable considering that they are made for all cars not taking into consideration altitude, ect... You don't necessarily have to get an AP, there are a few other options out there besides that, that can get you a better gain. Cobb's OTS maps are pretty good compared to others but are a no no when you start adding different parts like injectors and a bigger turbo, you'll really want to go get a custom tune when you start getting that far. You could go with a stand alone, piggyback, or a reflash of your stock ecu. They will cost about the same or more as the AP but you will see better gains and IMO better reliability as long as you go with a decent shop that know's what they are doing.
    Hawk-eye Alliance #156

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by benson156 View Post
    As for the EWG, you'll need a better tune than an OTS tune like the ones that come on the Cobb AP's.
    what?
    Rogan o_0

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    what?
    ????
    1983 Audi GT Coupe Sold
    They call me Sunshine

????
    Basically, an EWG (external waste gate) has nothing to do with a BOV. The EWG can be installed on the up pipe so that you no longer need to use the flapper style waste gate that's built into the turbo. The EWG dumps exhaust gases when the turbo is at its peak set PSI, it does not dump air.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.