"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 733

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by EJ257 That's because the SSQV sounds like a squeeling fart Besides, the HKS valves are notorious for ...

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    That's because the SSQV sounds like a squeeling fart

Besides, the HKS valves are notorious for leaking.
    95% of the people that hear mine say it sounds like a falcon, or a bird. My recirculated greddy rs sounded terrible compared to it, but yes hks are definately not the best made aftermarket bov. That being said, i have yet to hear a better sounding one, under low boost they dont chirp loud, just sound perfect. This is all just IMO, if your considering one listen to youtube vids.

Chris

P.s. Sounds like your bov is leaking somewhere dan.
    Chris
    02 Camaro z28 T-Tops, m6 49k miles
    Bolt ons and tuned - 349rwhp/362rwtq
    02 Ws6 T-Top,m6 80k miles
    Bolt ons/Cam/tune - 436rwhp/424rwtq

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004wrxkid View Post
    hey whats up,
    so ive got a 2004 wrx and i just the put a samco intercooler kit on it. everything works great except the blow off valve makes a sort of flutter when i let go of the gas. mostly in second gear and third. also when the car is idleing there is a sort of sqealing sound that seems to be coming form the bov. please, any help would be appreciated.
    dan

Start by reading this thread. Yes, all of it. It's very repetitive, and yet still full of info.

But let me help you.

The flutter means the BOV is doing what it's designed to do, and that's VENT the pressure away from the throttle plate.. Spring pressure causes the fluttering, as the BOV is opening, then slamming shut, only at a very rapid rate.

The 'squealing' you hear at idle, is the BOV screwing up your air/fuel ratio by leaps and bounds, as the vacuum holds the BOV open, allowing unmetered air to enter the intake channel, effing the ECU's thought process, and making it work way harder than it needs to.

If it's a stock TMIC and BOV, then it's a BPV (not bov), and you've most likely got a leak somewhere..

Check your work.. Twice.
    Last edited by Rogan; 05-13-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: I was a little harsh
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

thanks for the info. but no leaks in the garage what so ever. not sure about when driving on the road though. anyway to check? also, could i have put my clamps on too tight for my intercooler and bov hoses

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 2004wrxkid View Post
    thanks for the info. but no leaks in the garage what so ever. not sure about when driving on the road though. anyway to check? also, could i have put my clamps on too tight for my intercooler and bov hoses
    or not tight enough. you'll need to pressurize the intake system to thoroughly check for leaks, though. do a little research, and you can find how to make a device for this type of testing, for a couple dollars in Home Depot products.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Hey guys! I'm new on this forum and I read like 50 pages of this thread...look I have a 08 WRX (with the 225hp, not the 265hp) and I wanted to put a BOV on it...like my friend got a skyline with a HKS SSQV on it so i thought damn it's nice! The problem is I know that the car would run rich (only when I shift or when we hear pshshshs?) but will it affect the ECU? I mean I don't want to void de warranty....also could a BOV could cause problems for my turbo? I want so badly a BOV lol but i'm just too scared to break my turbo or anything....I don't know mechanics...finally is it easy to remove/install?

Thanks a lot

I have a Short ram intake and I put on a perrin turbo inlet and the perrin recirc valve and it pretty much sounds like I have a bov even though its just recirculating the air!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Perrin BOV

Hey guys, just bought myself an 02 wrx wagon. Coming off of an 87 4runner, I am shell shocked at how much fun I'm having driving! I have just been scanning some of these threads, which I imagine I will be hanging out in a lot, but just wanted to repeat a few questions. My car came with a few mods, one being a perrin BOV. This is my first turboed car and so obviously I have been loving the sound that I am getting from the BOV, but I wouldn't say I'm against taking it off either. Just wondering how hard it is to take off or if it's worth just leaving on... again, just bought this car, so there are a lot of things I'm still learning, but I've got to tell you, I'm crazy excited to be diving into this engine !

I Support ClubWRX
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Uhmm...

?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by promted View Post
    Hey guys, just bought myself an 02 wrx wagon. Coming off of an 87 4runner, I am shell shocked at how much fun I'm having driving! I have just been scanning some of these threads, which I imagine I will be hanging out in a lot, but just wanted to repeat a few questions. My car came with a few mods, one being a perrin BOV. This is my first turboed car and so obviously I have been loving the sound that I am getting from the BOV, but I wouldn't say I'm against taking it off either. Just wondering how hard it is to take off or if it's worth just leaving on... again, just bought this car, so there are a lot of things I'm still learning, but I've got to tell you, I'm crazy excited to be diving into this engine !

Shouldn't hurt much to leave it on. You should also explore the links in my signature.

Welcome to the club too. You should introduce yourself here.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Question:

I have a 03 wrx and I am purchasing a TMIC from a younger STI, couldn't my stock BOV/BPV (not sure what i have doesn't really make sound when i shift gear so i was thinking bpv) be used for both?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstorybro
    Question:

I have a 03 wrx and I am purchasing a TMIC from a younger STI, couldn't my stock BOV/BPV (not sure what i have doesn't really make sound when i shift gear so i was thinking bpv) be used for both?
    It's the same valve, so yes
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    It's the same valve, so yes
    ahh=] i knew he was pullin my chain trying to get me to buy the valve with it=], seeing as how you answer all my questions (thanks btw) are bpvs almost silent?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstorybro
    ahh=] i knew he was pullin my chain trying to get me to buy the valve with it=], seeing as how you answer all my questions (thanks btw) are bpvs almost silent?
    Bypass valves recirculate the air instead of venting to atmosphere, so they are quieter than the blowoff valve counterparts. Most of the people I know with aftermarket valves, have VTA ones, so I don't have enough experience with recirculation valves to answer your question definitively.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I have a 50/50 as they are usually called... it is a valve which has two outlet ports and a second valve which allows the use of one, both, or again only one vent, and I have mine set up with a trumpet and a return J pipe ala Samco kit. The valve is set to recirculate 95 percent to the return pipe, 5 percent to atmosphere, so the shift sound is something I can duplicate once I know I have it clean. I used to have it at 75 percent and 25 to atmosphere, and I feel more confident about shifting during higher boost take-offs so I quieted it. If you have an aftermarket intake, and have none of the original components, you get the VTA sound, and if you get rid of the "snorkus" in your fender on a standard OEM intake, it is a bit more noticeable. It is not so great for our cars to over-lean a stage one or untuned engine (untuned electronically, yes, that intake makes 3 or 4 hp to the wheels, but not the 15 you were promised, you need electronic management...)

The BPV side is very quiet, like EJ said. VTA/BOV side is POWWWWW-SHHHhhhh!!

If you have it and the engine tuned correctly... it will increase rate of discharge at shift points, and smooth your clutching, but experienced drivers with BPV are as fast. Most keep the stock piece, some hit 'em w/ a hammer... they claim it will take more boost, but it sounds off to me.

I'm using a really ancient Apex'i design that somone copied, thankfully, since APex'i 50/50 BOVs didn't stay in production long. Mine's an "OBX" (about a 100 dollar unit)... kinda knockoffish background, but decent materials... I stripped it, cleaned it, polished it, and pray the castings are strong. It hasn't leaked, so my fingers are crossed... I only hit 17psi max boost through to 130mph. I could set to run 150s, but I need more hardware... my lil intercooler (cough cough)...

I had an RS (Greddy, not a 2 door), and regret removing it now that I am down to the setting I am on with this "training valve" as I have learned that the trunpet is only good for teaching you how to shift without driving too fast. It stinks of fuel during shifts, and it is obnoxious.

anyway, if you could have gotten a bov, tell us what kind it is... pic?
    Last edited by Impreza2.0; 06-18-2010 at 04:00 AM.