"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 730

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Would swapping from a BOV to a hybrid 50/50 recirculating mitigate a lot of the back fire I am getting ...

Hybrid BOV

Would swapping from a BOV to a hybrid 50/50 recirculating mitigate a lot of the back fire I am getting after shifts?
    2004 Impreza Outback Sport - Sold
    2004 WRB WRX - Sold
    2006 SGM WRX - 400AWHP - Mods

My 2006 Build

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Not really. If you have a catless exhaust or even one with a high flowing cat,you will always get some afterfire.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by itWRXjustfine
    Would swapping from a BOV to a hybrid 50/50 recirculating mitigate a lot of the afterfire I am getting after shifts?
    It won't get rid of it completely, but the hybrid BOV may probably help a little bit. Many of the hybrids are designed to recirc under light boost, so in those cases, afterfire occurrences would be similar to an OEM valve. Under high/full boost, it will probably have a similar amount of afterfire as a full-VTA valve.
    Last edited by EJ257; 12-01-2009 at 04:52 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I doubt I will see much out of it then, even my VTA does not vent under light boost. It is very easy to get no vent out of it just driving around town.
    2004 Impreza Outback Sport - Sold
    2004 WRB WRX - Sold
    2006 SGM WRX - 400AWHP - Mods

My 2006 Build

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Not really. If you have a catless exhaust or even one with a high flowing cat,you will always get some afterfire.
    i never do and im catless, even when i had the straight pipe on there
    bugeye maffia member #304 l http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_fonseca/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma View Post
    It doesn't always have to be a huge explosion. Most of mine is just burbling. Half the time I don't even hear it over my radio or with the windows up.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    It doesn't always have to be a huge explosion. Most of mine is just burbling. Half the time I don't even hear it over my radio or with the windows up.
    Damn and when I was catless and protuned on the stock BPV...I shot flames like a muddafakka! Guaranteed 5ft flame out of the tailpipe pretty much whenever I wanted to (Rev up to 5k rpm or higher and watch it light up a dark underpass ) That was for fun, but even just getting on it and shifting at high revs would cause the shotgun bang and a flame
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13
    Damn and when I was catless and protuned on the stock BPV...I shot flames like a muddafakka! Guaranteed 5ft flame out of the tailpipe pretty much whenever I wanted to (Rev up to 5k rpm or higher and watch it light up a dark underpass ) That was for fun, but even just getting on it and shifting at high revs would cause the shotgun bang and a flame
    Who did your tune?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Who did your tune?
    Hill from Agile down in Maryland.

Odd as it was...my AFRs were perfect across the board, especially under WOT.

I mean the car ran absolutely perfectly. Never seen a powerband so smooth.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

idk, when i had the straight pipe id get the lil pops, but never any actual flame-age. i went on a lot of cruises with my buddies this past summer and always lead the way and they woulda told me if i did. who knows.
    bugeye maffia member #304 l http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_fonseca/

Quote Originally Posted by Si2WRX View Post
    Yes. The car already has a bypass valve which can be replaced with an aftermarket valve (either bypass or blowoff type).

The differences are bypass vents back to intake and is generally pretty quiet. Blowoff vents to atmosphere and is generally louder.

BPV keeps stock design. BOV isn't like stock. Word is some BOVs can cause CEL. BPVs will not.

I have the Forge BPV.

I just bought my car and it happened to come with the Forge BPV as well. The thing is, you mentioned that some BOV's can cause the CEL to appear. Could this also be the case for BPV's as well? Just a random question. Because whenever I get on it a little, and by little I mean to 5K RPM average, the CEL comes on with a blinking cruise control light. It's confusing. I'm going to run a diagnostic scan to see what code it could be but for craps and giggles, I figured I might as well ask.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 05AspenWhite View Post
    I just bought my car and it happened to come with the Forge BPV as well. The thing is, you mentioned that some BOV's can cause the CEL to appear. Could this also be the case for BPV's as well? Just a random question. Because whenever I get on it a little, and by little I mean to 5K RPM average, the CEL comes on with a blinking cruise control light. It's confusing. I'm going to run a diagnostic scan to see what code it could be but for craps and giggles, I figured I might as well ask.
    that's a misfire, IIRC.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma View Post
    I'm catless with a full recirc BPV and I experience loads of afterfire near everytime I drive the car. It doesn't have to send a 3 ft flame out the back.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    I'm catless with a full recirc BPV and I experience loads of afterfire near everytime I drive the car. It doesn't have to send a 3 ft flame out the back.
    It keeps everyone off your ass though, thats for sure

if you get a blow off valve get a dual vented one. it still gives you that signature sound but also keeps some boost into the engine