"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 723

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Donkey Creating an intake on a turbocharged car is very different than a N/A car. The only ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Creating an intake on a turbocharged car is very different than a N/A car. The only thing an intake effects is the MAF signal.....and that is not going to effect how a BPV/BOV operates or compressor surge or wastegate flutter.
    Ding Ding Ding

That's what I was hoping you would come to realize impreza2.0...
    The issue is wastegate flutter and or compressor surge.... not the intake. Since the turbo is in between the intake and the BOV/BPV/RBV/CBV, etc... its length, airflow, etc wouldn't have ANYTHING at all to do with the functionality of the BPV
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Silversubie05 View Post
    Yes, this is when it occurs, and I'm 99% sure its coming from the BPV and not the wastegate, I can hear it pretty much directly in front of me to the center of the car, if it were the wastegate I'd be hearing it off to the passenger side by the turbo right? I'll try to get a video clip of it tomorrow, hopefully my camera can hear it.

And as a side note, I'm looking at getting a stock airbox because I've already spent too much money lately, I found one that looks good, does $65 shipped from the east coast to the west coast sound reasonable for the complete setup? It only has about 10,000 miles on it, and its off an 07, that will fit my 05 right? Sorry to change the subject, I know this is a BOV thread.
    the location is deceiving... the wastegate flutter sounds like it's coming from the same place as the BOV.

If it's actually "fluttering" between shifts... and it's the stock RBV(recirculating bypass valve)... then there's 2 possibilities...
    (1) The "crush mod" was done, and you're hearing compressor surge at low boost only
    or
    (2) The stock RBV piston is sticking, the vacuum signal line is missing, or some other form of failure, and it may need replaced.

are you 100% that it's the stock valve?

(donkey... it's not possible to adjust the stock valve is it?)
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I just did a search on the crush mod and found two different things people have done.

#1: the $.16 mod, tap and plug the vacuum hole inside the BPV and then drill another hole on the outside of the BPV. I checked for this and it has not been done on mine so thats off the list.

#2: the crush mod, basically crush the outside of the BPV with a hammer/vice. The few pictures I could find of people who had done this showed a very obvious large dent in the front of the BPV, which I don't have; however when I looked closely at mine from the side, there is a very very small indent in it, but I mean very small, this wouldn't be enough to do anything would it? I took a pic but I'm at school so I can't upload it til later.

As for your question about whether it is 100% for sure the stock BPV, I am not 100%. I bought it off a guy on NASIOC, he said it was the stock BPV and he was pretty sure it was off an '03 wrx, he had a 2.5RS so I'm guessing he had done an engine swap or added a turbo to his RS or something along those lines and ended up with it.

Another question, wow this is turning into a long post! If my BPV were not working correctly would I be seeing a spike in pressure on my stock boost gauge when I let off the gas, or would it not be able to pick that up? Because when I let off the gas my boost pressure goes down.

EDIT: My vacuum line is hooked up so that shouldn't be the problem. Could it be that the BPV is off an STI and not a WRX? I have read that the STI ones are slightly different and hold more pressure, but I'm not sure how to tell the difference by looking at them.
    Last edited by Silversubie05; 09-18-2009 at 02:58 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    snap a pic and we can tell you if it's the stocker or not.

As far as my understanding, the WRX and STi RBVs are the exact same
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Here it is

This is looking at it from the top, I was trying to get a pic of the small indent but you cant really see it in the pic (well you cant hardly see it in person either, I'm pretty sure its nothing) I outlined it in red in the middle pic. As you can see its pretty much flat on the front though, thats not crush modded is it?

I Support ClubWRX
    no, it's not
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Ha, ha,ha... that is in SOOO much better condition than my OEM valve was when I took it out... you don't have corrosion all over it, and the albow screws still have some shape to them... Mine... is trash which I use as a paperweight. It is on my home office desk, so it only gets one question, "When are you going to throw that ugly piece of metal away?".

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    Ha, ha,ha... that is in SOOO much better condition than my OEM valve was when I took it out... you don't have corrosion all over it, and the albow screws still have some shape to them... Mine... is trash which I use as a paperweight. It is on my home office desk, so it only gets one question, "When are you going to throw that ugly piece of metal away?".
    thats an awesome use for an old bpv i'd have to say
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

Hmm, well I don't know, maybe I'll take the recirc hose off and see if its letting air out. I guess as long as it's letting the excess pressure out I should be ok I would think. Or maybe my gasket is bad where it mounts to the intercooler, I didn't replace it, maybe it's leaking air out there.

What BOV to get...?

One of the wonderful things of having a turbocharged vehicle is the sound of the BOV when you shift. I said i wouldn't mod my car, but this is one thing i just want to have... my old 96 TSI AWD had an after market BOV it and i loved the sound. It was also an easy install with no probs.

Saw the Turbo XS Hybrid Blow Off Valve for the 08+ WRX. Any opinions? any recommendations or things to look out for. I have been out of the turbo charge vehicle community since 98 or so... any help would be great.

Thanks,
    -Aaron

09 WRX

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not a fan of TXS valves. I've owned 2 and both had problems.
    Last edited by brfatal; 09-20-2009 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    I'm not a fan of TXS valves. I've owned 2 and both had problems.
    +1

Just about everyone that replies will tell you to:

a. Use the search button. There are a lot of threads on why not to get one

2. BOV's, while some may say they sound nice, they get very annoying after a while.

d. if you really love your Subie, don't get one.

Did i miss anything?
    Bugeye Mafia Member #177
    New England F4
    VF43'd by Wicked Innovation

Facebook

If everyone on a forum searched, read and never posted. This forum would suck.

Also i did search, and i got an error after 2 tries. Forums have a wonderful way of getting rid of crappy posts... no one replies and they go away. I will attempt so save the internet trees by not posting and using internet paper.

Installing the BOV on my old TSI took maybe 30 mins... if the sound get old i can always take it off. I just like the sound, and i don't want to get some crappy BOV.

Any recommendations on other brands or types?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronacj View Post
    If everyone on a forum searched, read and never posted. This forum would suck.

Also i did search, and i got an error after 2 tries. Forums have a wonderful way of getting rid of crappy posts... no one replies and they go away. I will attempt so save the internet trees by not posting and using internet paper.

Installing the BOV on my old TSI took maybe 30 mins... if the sound get old i can always take it off. I just like the sound, and i don't want to get some crappy BOV.

Any recommendations on other brands or types?
    APS.

If you just want the sound... get a short ram intake. It'll give you the sound, without having the negative repercussions of a BOV. I'm not sure if you have found this yet, but because of the location of the MAF, using a Vent To Atmosphere BOV can cause several problems with your car.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I used to have a BOV on my car....I took it off...and since I have a SRI it still sounds like its pretty much on...get it? You don't really need a BOV to get the "cool" sound. I have the "cool" sound and I sure don't have a BOV. If you put on a SRI you will get all kinds of awesome new sounds!
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide