"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 713

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Wrinklechops Supposedly you're not supposed to use oiled filters on our car, period. You're not supposed to ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    Supposedly you're not supposed to use oiled filters on our car, period.
    You're not supposed to use Oiled FOAM intake filters on ANY car period. They're great on dirt bikes, ATVS, etc... but not on a non-rally car.

Any car with a MAF is susceptible to getting an oily MAF from an OVEROILED air filter. Every car since the advent of fuel injection has had a MAF... and how many cars has K&N made an air filter for that had MAFs? If they were detrimental, you'd think the number one name in air filters would have changed their design a lot time ago. In addition... there are several car manufacturers that use their panel filters and cone filters as OEM parts.... with a MAF... with Oiled Filters.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I STOPPED LOL!!!

i'm gonna do what i said in a previous post...

"cool. so for now i'm gonna delete that airbox silencer bullcrap, and stick with a stock bpv!!! i think thats the best route for me to take right now without spending money on a k&n intake system

does this sound correct guys???
    thanx 4 all the help "

^^^ that

done deal thanx guys!!! woo!
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI alpine white

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    A/O Sep - all the high HP Subarus I know are running them.
    And there is a pretty big debate running right now about Air / Oil separators...

supposedly, condensation can form, and drain along with the oil back into the crank case... which isn't a big deal on a track car that gets oil changes more than a baby changes diapers... but on a daily driven car water in oil for a 5,000 mile interval could = a big problemo.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    And there is a pretty big debate running right now about Air / Oil separators...

supposedly, condensation can form, and drain along with the oil back into the crank case... which isn't a big deal on a track car that gets oil changes more than a baby changes diapers... but on a daily driven car water in oil for a 5,000 mile interval could = a big problemo.
    PM me a link
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    PM me a link
    remind me, and I'll find it. I'm outtie for the night.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    What the hell are you talking about...

There is no gas return line into a turbo.

Are you referring to the hose from the Recirculating Bypass Valve into the Turbo Inlet Hose?
    Yep, the EGR hose (exhaust gas return)...

the crap valves on eBay all come with a plug for it. i plugged mine with my thumb to see what it would do... chizzoke!

nothing good comes from plugging that... and a lot of good blow off valves instruct the installer to do the same. it's dumb, ain't it?

no caps, I am tired... and no, this thread is unkillable. We will try.

Clean whatever gun, and aim it at this thread. Please.

K&N intake with an HKS filter head FTW! NO oil, you can clean the sponge element, and it's cool looking, and nothing else sounds as cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Stopp STOPP STOP!!!

OP... Don't get one of these. Your ECU works fine with the one you have right now. You don't have to tune your stock one. You're not over 20lbs of boost. There is absolutely no reason to blow money on something as moot as this.

Impreza2.0 is just trying to make himself feel good for purchasing something that he didn't need... and trying to make himself feel like he didn't waste money. But he did.

If you like to waste money... go for it.

Otherwise... "If it ain't broke, Don't Fix It!!"
    He said it should be considered if you want the looks along with the sound, and if you're planning on going big later down the line. Sounds reasonable to me..
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    Yep, the EGR hose (exhaust gas return)...
    uhh....what?
    Quote Originally Posted by koogxone View Post
    He said it should be considered if you want the looks along with the sound, and if you're planning on going big later down the line. Sounds reasonable to me..
    sarcasm, right?
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

Oh, snap... so you are saying that after cleaning out the engine bay, replacing the struts with coilovers and a strut brace, the hoses with silicone, the intake with a mandrel bent piece of Al, and a bunch of other FAR better looking parts, Optima battery, CircleEarth ground kit, alternator and radiator shrouds, etc.,etc., that that OEM bypass valve on a freshly polished and cleaned intercooler looks like anything less than junk? It really does.

I know it was a "waste of money" as far as the performance of the car is concerned, but it is adjustable, convertible, and can be reused throughout any mod I feel I would like. It was spendy, cost more than my intake... but it did solve a problem. The previous owner of my car never cleaned anything in the engine bay, it was gray from corrosion (We are in Maine by the ocean, and it is salty here), so I figured billet was a good solution, and everything under my hood is still shining after several weeks of driving.

It is a waste of money if you are trying to add power on a budget. It only looks nicer. It doesn't add a thing to how the car drives. If it is adjusted wrong, it fouls up shifts. Now that it is set correctly, it is perfectly identical to a stock BPV, but it isn't showing signs of corrosion, a concern I had.

You ought to see my manifold cover. It is like a box of Rice-Chex got in a fight with SuperGlue. When money allows, a header will replace that, but I have a lot to learn before I do that.

An intake is the way to go for the OP. That solves every problem mentioned. It gives the sound and power increase (though very small before tuning) he/she desires.

I do want to feel like I didn't waste my money, and once in a while I do, when someone at a shop or parts store asks to see the engine, it does make them fold their arms and stare. It's a chunk of billet, and a known brand... otherwise, it's a waste of money and you're right... g'dmnit....

Um, EGR tube... If you ever remove and reinstall the BPV on your car, there is an elbow on it. That elbow has a hose that goes under the IC to the inlet hose. It is the last and largest inlet on the inlet hose. That is an EGR hose. It means "exhaust gas return", and it allows a pressure equalization during shifts and release of pressure on the throttle so that the turbine does not stop rotation. This keeps oil from caking, allows it to remain in spool between shifts, and also keeps the bearings or turbine-axle bushes (depending on the turbo you have) from burning out prematurely.

It is proven that plugging this hose (as per the instructions which come with a few aftermarket BOVs) is a bad move without major tuning, and even then it is detrimental to overall performance, and negates any positive attribute one might find in a blow off type valve.

I love this thread. If you don't research it, we will do this.

Ding Ding..... round two!

"I heard about this thing, blow up valve? What is it and where can I get one?"

I Support ClubWRX
    With a short ram, you get even air flow, your air flow sensor has no problems, and you don't need a tune.
    This is false.For the frigg'n millionth time,just because you buy a short ram doesn't mean you don't need tune.It doesn't matter if you buy a short ram or CAI,the intake overall design will dictate if you require a tune or not.There are plenty of short rams that can cause false MAF readings due to the inner diameter size and the filter being to close to the MAF.This is that "bad info" thing I was talking about................

CobbTuning.com - Aftermarket Intakes

Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0
    Um, EGR tube... If you ever remove and reinstall the BPV on your car, there is an elbow on it. That elbow has a hose that goes under the IC to the inlet hose. It is the last and largest inlet on the inlet hose. That is an EGR hose. It means "exhaust gas return", and it allows a pressure equalization during shifts and release of pressure on the throttle so that the turbine does not stop rotation.
    Dude just stop posting.You have exhaust gas coming from your BOV/BPV?Really?You are not just slightly wrong on this,you are 100% WAY off.Why don't you Google search EGR and get back to me on what that really is.I will give you a hint,it comes out of your exhaust pipe and it has to do with emmisions.You do not have EGR gases coming from you BPV.Infact the WRX's don't even have an EGR valve/system.That is just an air return tube.And it has nothing to due with keeping your turbo from "caking".Once again here you are posting completely wrong and bad info............

Exhaust gas recirculation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Understanding Exhaust Gas Recirculation Systems
    Last edited by Donkey; 07-28-2009 at 08:38 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    the MAF is EXTREMELY sensitive to the air that flows through it. a year or so ago, I fought a stall/rough idle issue for a couple of months, after going to a 3" CAI on my GT32. I tried all sorts of things, and made sure the maf was in the stock distance from the turbo, etc.. it would run like a bat outa hell, but would stall when you let off the throttle, from just about ANY position..

as a last resort, I randomly moved the MAF sensor 16" upstream, to where it was roughly behind the pass. foglight area, just behind the filter.. low and behold - stumbles/stalls disappeared.. same diameter as it was downstream, same distance from bends, just a little different bend angle and all was good in the idling world..

Let me tell you THAT was a friggin headache to chase down..

Of course, I had to completely redo my tune, as a result of the move, as it threw everything else off.
    Last edited by Rogan; 07-28-2009 at 08:40 AM.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Wrinklechops
    Um, EGR tube...

This keeps oil from caking, allows it to remain in spool between shifts, and also keeps the bearings or turbine-axle bushes

turbine-axle bushes?

You've lost me...

I Support ClubWRX
    Um, EGR tube... If you ever remove and reinstall the BPV on your car, there is an elbow on it. That elbow has a hose that goes under the IC to the inlet hose. It is the last and largest inlet on the inlet hose. That is an EGR hose. It means "exhaust gas return", and it allows a pressure equalization during shifts and release of pressure on the throttle so that the turbine does not stop rotation. This keeps oil from caking, allows it to remain in spool between shifts, and also keeps the bearings or turbine-axle bushes (depending on the turbo you have) from burning out prematurely.

It is proven that plugging this hose (as per the instructions which come with a few aftermarket BOVs) is a bad move without major tuning, and even then it is detrimental to overall performance, and negates any positive attribute one might find in a blow off type valve.

I love this thread. If you don't research it, we will do this.

Ding Ding..... round two!

"I heard about this thing, blow up valve? What is it and where can I get one?"

Seriously. I appreciate how much time and effort you are putting into the forums, and how hard you're trying to help others... but you keep posting false information. It's making it extremely hard for new members to distinguish between fact and fiction.

We don't even have an EGR on our damned cars. Please start posting links with references to your information if you're going to post information.

Thanks
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Impreza2.0:

We have no direct rules regarding posting awful information or information that's not correct. So this means with no rules in place there is no way to give you points or ban you for giving awful information.

However from now on all your posts that are obviously wrong with be deleted.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"