"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 711

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; SO................. over the last 7+ years of this thread going on WHAT have we determined about running a BOV on ...

SO................. over the last 7+ years of this thread going on WHAT have we determined about running a BOV on your Subaru???

i've read they are OK, i've read they are BAD......

I'd like a little noise when i'm changing gears to let people know what i got... but at the same time i only want the VERY BEST for my motor and air/fuel ratio and etc...

from what i've learned i'm thinking a 50/50 valve would be best... but even these? do they mess up the air/fuel ratio when they do open all the way and bleed air out both paths???

THANX GUYS
    2006 Subaru Impreza WRX STI alpine white

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mrkenny View Post
    SO................. over the last 7+ years of this thread going on WHAT have we determined about running a BOV on your Subaru???

i've read they are OK, i've read they are BAD......

I'd like a little noise when i'm changing gears to let people know what i got... but at the same time i only want the VERY BEST for my motor and air/fuel ratio and etc...

from what i've learned i'm thinking a 50/50 valve would be best... but even these? do they mess up the air/fuel ratio when they do open all the way and bleed air out both paths???

THANX GUYS
    If you've "read they are OK," it was most likely a forum member inexperienced in the ways of t3h Subaru. They are bad unless you are running huge amounts of boost. Your stock one will be just fine, no need for a 50/50 recirc. If you wanna "let people know what you got" you can just get an intake or delete the silencer in your stock airbox, and the stock BPV will sound awesome.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

honestly, i'v heard they are ok depending on where they are mounted, what type, amount of boost, and if it is properly tuned for it. But even with all those things i would still go stock.
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

ok now we are talkin... this silencer in the stock airbox... how do i delete it? and do i need to order a part to complete the intake system after i delete it???

i read about that somewhere but probably skipped over where they talked about it big time!!! this thread is 700+ pages lol!!!

i think you can just take it out. my friend did it a while ago to his and didnt order anything. you could search it. or you could get a new intake, but that would cost way more.
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

NEW INTAKE??? from what i've read so far i'm not suppose to get any intake... that the subaru one is enough for the stock turbo setup!!!

does anyone know of a link to a write up on taking the silencer out? i wanna make sure i'm deleting the right part!!! lol

I Support ClubWRX
    NEW INTAKE??? from what i've read so far i'm not suppose to get any intake... that the subaru one is enough for the stock turbo setup!!!

does anyone know of a link to a write up on taking the silencer out? i wanna make sure i'm deleting the right part!!! lol
    Get a K&N Short Ram Intake. It is safe... it'll give you power... and it'll sound like you have a blow off valve.

/thread
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Buck View Post
    honestly, i'v heard they are ok depending on where they are mounted, what type, amount of boost, and if it is properly tuned for it. But even with all those things i would still go stock.
    Then you've HEARD wrong...

You can't tune for air lost during a shift.

Period

End of story bucky.

The only way to "Tune" for any lost air is with a Hydra or Autronics engine management system.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella View Post
    Get a K&N Short Ram Intake. It is safe... it'll give you power... and it'll sound like you have a blow off valve.

/thread
    You're supposed to be cleaning guns

I Support ClubWRX
    I'll post this again ...

BOV FAQ: The REAL dirt on BOVs. Ups AND downs. Lets dispell some myths. - NASIOC

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    Then you've HEARD wrong...

You can't tune for air lost during a shift.

Period

End of story bucky.

The only way to "Tune" for any lost air is with a Hydra or Autronics engine management system.
    Unless of course you relocate the MAF sensor

Quote Originally Posted by mrkenny
    Remove the passenger wheel. Open up the fender lining in the front part of that wheel well. There's a black thing in the fender between you and the light. Remove that.

To get it out, remove the scoop from the front part of the engine bay. There should be a screw on the passenger side of the engine compartment between the two holes (where the scoop goes and where the OEM intake goes). Once that screw is taken off, the silencer should slide out the fender liner.

Finally, put everything else back as it was. Voila!

If you decide to use one of the GPMoto (I believe that's the brand) elbows, make sure you drill a hole in the bottom of it to allow water to drain - there's a reason the OEM silencer has one
    Last edited by EJ257; 07-27-2009 at 06:51 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

You can search for it, I know for sure there's DIYs for a silencer delete. However, you can get a K&N short ram, like Kevin said below you, or the short ram intake manufactured by Subaru's SPT. They'll be safe to run without a tune. I think the BPV will sound better with an aftermarket intake than with a stock airbox with a silencer delete.. or do they sound the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post

/thread
    You know this thread will never be over neva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva eva
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post

/thread
    And it'll jack up your MAF with all that oil

Just be sure to keep the MAF clean I guess. That is, unless you have a freak Subaru like me

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    And it'll jack up your MAF with all that oil

Just be sure to keep the MAF clean I guess. That is, unless you have a freak Subaru like me
    Oil isn't a problem if you oil it properly. Over oiling can happen on any intake filter.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Unless of course you relocate the MAF sensor
    Correct.. relocation of the MAF sensor after the BOV will be tunable... BUT with high horsepower setups the MAF will max out. Then again it is possible to convert from MAF to MAP and tune for that with a BOV because you're detecting volume and pressure in the manifold instead of air flow in the tube.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrinklechops View Post
    You're supposed to be cleaning guns
    Bout to head out of here. What're you doin?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister
    BUT with high horsepower setups the MAF will max out. Then again it is possible to convert from MAF to MAP and tune for that with a BOV because you're detecting volume and pressure in the manifold instead of air flow in the tube.
    Are you talking about maxing out the MAF voltage?
    Last edited by EJ257; 07-27-2009 at 06:59 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Are you talking about maxing out the MAF sensor limit?
    Yes... only on large turbos tho, and it depends on the diameter of the intercooler piping that you'll be putting the MAF in. The smaller the piping, the more flow rate, and the higher the MAF voltage is going to be.

But also... more importantly... oil blow by. You'll be cleaning your MAF sensor a lot more frequently because the PCV system is dumping in front of the MAF now, and turbos are always blowing by small amounts of oil.

I wouldn't move a MAF sensor just for a "pshhh".
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ