"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 709
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Sinister No.... No.. No.. Noooo..... He is dead wrong. If you convert your ECU to read MAP ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    No.... No.. No.. Noooo.....

He is dead wrong.

If you convert your ECU to read MAP instead of MAF... then you're fine. If you put the MAF AFTER the BOV, and get tuned for it.. you're fine.

If you keep the BOV and MAF in the same place... your WRX "Garage" is full of crap.
    alright thanx, i didnt think it could be that simple, im glad i didnt listen. i dont want one, im not even a fan of the sound but if someone does then i guess thats how it has to be done.
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

somewhere in the nowhere of somethings mind eye of a nothing
    i have an hks ssbv and i love it...

Quote Originally Posted by 03subiedude View Post
    Your car doesn't love you for it
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 03subiedude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by koogxone View Post
    Your car doesn't love you for it
    So true
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I use a GReddy RS Reciprocating BOV. It is exactly identical to the OEM bypass valve in every way except for looks and pressure capacity. It is rated to a higher PSI than the stock unit, otherwise it is absolutely a waste of money. I have a larger-than-stock turbo, and my mechanic suggested supporting it with stronger hardware, so it got everything I could throw at it.

Until you have a turbocharger on your desk that can create 30PSI constantly and reliably, don't bother.

The damage you can do is greater than the benefit you could reap. It is possible to have compressor surge or even leakage. This wears out and/or destroys turbos very quickly.

GReddy RS w/ recip kit is about $200 shipped, and does not add sound to the car.

What adds sound is an unsilenced piece of mandrel bent Aluminum with a high-flow air filter on it, instead of the very silenced plastic pieces that your car came with. In fact, it is this part which makes many new WRX owners believe that others with WRX and STi vehicles have upgraded their BPV to a BOV, when in fact, they are listening to the valve through a foam or even paper (ick!) filter.

My mechanic's opinion on WRX tuning is that first and foremost is exhaust, then intake and engine management SIMULTANEOUSLY (important!).

This is without consideration of internals, throttle, fuel delivery, suspension/brakes, etc.

If you add 15hp, upgrade your brakes.
    If you add 25hp, upgrade your suspension and brakes.
    If you add 35hp, upgrade your insurance.

I have no idea what I am talking about, so please flame this post.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    If you add 15hp, upgrade your brakes.
    If you add 25hp, upgrade your suspension and brakes.
    If you add 35hp, upgrade your insurance.
    What the hell are you talking about...
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

bov help

i was just wondering what i would have to do to run a bov on my 06 wrx. and does it need to be a recirculating bov? thanks for the advice.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #132

"buy it, ease it, brake it, fix it, trash it, change it now upgrade it."

"i can easily rip the spine out of cars, and watch their bodies fall into a sea of oil and metal"

I Support ClubWRX
    Yes... It needs to be recirculating.

Are you just wanting it for the sound?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Yes... It needs to be recirculating.

Are you just wanting it for the sound?
    yeah just for the sound. not trying to sound like a ricer just looking for a nice sound.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #132

"i can easily rip the spine out of cars, and watch their bodies fall into a sea of oil and metal"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sethbrown2007 View Post
    yeah just for the sound. not trying to sound like a ricer just looking for a nice sound.
    Stick with the stock one then. A recirculating BOV will sound the same as stock.

A K&N Short Ram Intake allows you to hear the whoosh of the air that's being recirculated. It sounds just like a BOV. I get asked all the time what brand of blow off valve I have, and I'm 100% stock.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Stick with the stock one then. A recirculating BOV will sound the same as stock.

A K&N Short Ram Intake allows you to hear the whoosh of the air that's being recirculated. It sounds just like a BOV. I get asked all the time what brand of blow off valve I have, and I'm 100% stock.
    alright thanks for the help.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #132

I Support ClubWRX
    alright thanks for the help.
    Sure. Another thing to note. The BOV will not add power, but a K&N short ram intake will give you a few hp, and later on in life as you keep modifying your car will keep adding more and more horsepower as you get tuned for your new modifications.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Sure. Another thing to note. The BOV will not add power, but a K&N short ram intake will give you a few hp, and later on in life as you keep modifying your car will keep adding more and more horsepower as you get tuned for your new modifications.
    yeah i know they don't add hp. what do you think about the perrin short ram intake? im looking into it because i can get it in black. and with my car color i don't want a red or polished intake.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #132

I Support ClubWRX
    yeah i know they don't add hp. what do you think about the perrin short ram intake? im looking into it because i can get it in black. and with my car color i don't want a red or polished intake.
    I wouldn't

The only 2 intakes that I would trust are K&N Typhoon Short Ram, or SPT Short Ram.

The SPT has a dark color to it, but a blue air filter. Also you absolutely HAVE to buy the heatshield for it to be worthwhile.

The K&N comes in a few colors.. and I got the silver-ish one. It matches well with the rest of the engine bay (especially the intake manifold), and comes with a black heatshield... It would probably match your car better with that combination because the cone isn't blue, it's a dark red.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX

That's the style I got and it matches the engine bay well.

The Perrin is known for not having a very good filter media.. Lots of oil blow by and it can screw up your Mass Airflow Sensor with all of that oil.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.