"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 706
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by psi_guy Maybe it didn't show because of my post count. youtube . com /watch?v=Ffj01k64AZI If that doesn't ...

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by psi_guy View Post
    Maybe it didn't show because of my post count.

youtube . com /watch?v=Ffj01k64AZI

If that doesn't work, look up syNapse synchronic sb001 wrx on youtube. the video i am talking about is on synapse's youtube front page

So the fraudulent BoV company then. That video of the blue STI is a fake. That driver has a Tial 50mm alright. The reason it was surging was because it was adjusted for higher spring pressure because he had a GT40 setup. It's supposed to surge at low boost when it's adjusted like that, it's not opening enough at those boost levels. The rest of those clips (Synapse and "brand x") were audio dubs over the exact same clip from the Tial surging. The author found out that someone used his video unauthorized and posted the original clip on NASIOC a while back to shoot them down.

You are giving into their fabricated sales pitches, not proven fact.
    Last edited by brfatal; 06-22-2009 at 12:46 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The reason i am so determined to get a blow off valve like that is because i test drove a 06 WRX that had exhaust and a BOV that sounded really nice and drove pretty well.

Well, I guess the BOV is something for many HP and PSI down the road... I am willing to wait.

I Support ClubWRX
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

just cut out your silencer and you can hear the bpv, it sounds similar

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ajtoce View Post
    just cut out your silencer and you can hear the bpv, it sounds similar
    the 08 & 09s do not have a silencer

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

yea they do. on the bottom of the airbox, you have to cut it out i did it on my 08.

I Support ClubWRX
    i am aware you can cut the bottom of the box (theres info on it here
    (08 wrx intake silencer delete)
    but i dont think anyone is referring to that as the actual intake silencer

desiree

Wrinklechops
    There was a guy over on ProjectWRX a while back if I remember correctly who gutted his WRX box:

ProjectWRX -A Subaru WRX enthusiast site - Content

Quote Originally Posted by psi_guy View Post
    From going to different car shows and meets I have learned that the BOV noises are either love or hate. For me, it is love. I respect anyone that doesn't want one on their car, but for me it's a must.
    Is it really a must? Must you have that sound so badly that you wish to run super rich between shifts and potentially cause problems for your car down the line?

Stick with the stock BPV. Foreal.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by koogxone
    Must you have that sound so badly that you wish to run super rich between shifts and potentially cause problems for your car down the line?
    A quality valve that's properly installed will not do his vehicle any harm, with the exception of if he intends to run catalytic converters. The issue comes from people who get a crappy valve (see: ones that leak), or don't take the time to install / set it up properly.

Will it benefit a vehicle at a low power level? No. To me, it's wasted money, but it's his car, and if that's what he wants to do, let him do it.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

ok i did not kno that catalytic converters or running rich made a difference. so if i have no catalytic converters and am running rich right now (idk how rich all i kno is black soot collects on my bumper) Does that make a BOV a better or worse idea. i dont really want one im just wondering i guess.
    <------------ Pure unfiltered joy... 04 wrx stage III ** The Blobeye Syndicate **... #39----------------------------------->

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Buck View Post
    ok i did not kno that catalytic converters or running rich made a difference. so if i have no catalytic converters and am running rich right now (idk how rich all i kno is black soot collects on my bumper) Does that make a BOV a better or worse idea. i dont really want one im just wondering i guess.
    Jesus.........no sounds like a great frigg'n idea.Seriously people,use your head and some common sense and actually try READING some of the info in this thread.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Arghh... I second Donkey, read this whole thread. It takes days. It is worth it. You will understand valves completely if you take the time to just read all of it. So many parts will be boring arguments about what is failed, and what is the best.

I use a GReddy Type RS, it is fully reciprocal, I can hardly hear it, but it is safe at 24PSI, it is adjustable, it looks 10X better than the OEM part, but it added ZERO horsepower, does not "sound cooler" and attracts no attention whatsoever from the local police.

I am not trying to be an example to you, I just know that based on the many ways to tune a Subaru engine, I have not harmed it's lifespan, and I have improved it's overall quality of construction. I am not making 400hp at the wheels, but I have a 5 speed, and transmission comes first in a car with power like that.

In Japan, you will find the best tuners (They got the Impreza before we did) do not go for drag power in a drift car. They also are not nearly as interested in what noise the engine makes as they are interested in what power and for how long. If you use this example, you will find that there are a hundred other uses for your money than a valve, uses which will really add power and handling to your car. A $200 BOV will be $200 less than you had to use on say... a turbine inlet hardpipe... or an up/downpipe... or a shift kit... or swaybar... etc., etc..

I am sure you get my point.

If you have a stock engine (gray, looks like a junkyard after two weeks of driving), a beautiful piece of billet jewelry in the middle of everything is just going to look refrikkindiculous.

Until you are seriously studying boost, and know that you are at the point of needing more capacity in your valve (when you begin to approach 25PSI), use your money where it will count in the "butt dyno", or you will come back to this thread saying that BOVs are 'dumb', 'pointless', or some such other insult to a useful tool when used correctly.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    In Japan, you will find the best tuners (They got the Impreza before we did) do not go for drag power in a drift car. They also are not nearly as interested in what noise the engine makes as they are interested in what power and for how long.
    I am sure you get my point..
    In response, I've seen 20+ JDM swaps come here to the states (through my hands, or my buddy's), for everything from Skylines, to Subarus, to Hondas, and more. 99.9% of them have a big friggin BOV on them

But I get your rant/point, and I agree with it, whole-heartedly. The downside to your long-winded post, is, that within the week, someone else will post in here, asking the same thing, and not have read hardly anything of the previous 600+ posts in here..

Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX
    someone should give me mod status for a few hours just so i can clean up this thread. people probably see the 80239840 pages and say "HELL NO! im not reading that" hence all the BOV questions.. even though this thread exists.

desiree

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.