"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 705

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Too keep it short and simple, either buy a modified oem Bypass too support high boost pressures or keep your ...

Too keep it short and simple, either buy a modified oem Bypass too support high boost pressures or keep your stock, realistically a Blow off Valve should be your last investment or if your running 700+HP...
    My 440HP 2.9L Jetta VR6.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/858983

Infamous Quotes
    Horsepower sells parts. Torque wins races.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Best Blow Off Valve

Hey, i am gonna get a 2004-2005 wrx, and i was wondering what the best type of blow off valve would be, im looking for something that sounds good, but is also not to expensive
    Thanks

Stock Anything else is not recommended, unless you are doing a lot more mods and are getting tuned for it/them.
    My woman hates the money pit
    2002 WRX Hybrid 2.5L 16G

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    The stock one is the best one you can have until you're making more boost than most people will ever run. The best part: It's free.

I Support ClubWRX
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Laird92 View Post
    Hey, i am gonna get a 2004-2005 wrx, and i was wondering what the best type of blow off valve would be, im looking for something that sounds good, but is also not to expensive
    Thanks
    If you want the sound, get a K&N Short Ram Intake... No water injestion, or MAF problems, and it still gets you the PSHHH sound
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Well I have been on this thread before I thought I had a recirculating bov but its not just an atmosphere.... so I really want a stock one can anyone help it wont let me post on the wtb adds. So if anyone has one for sale

Quote Originally Posted by WrxLove02 View Post
    Well I have been on this thread before I thought I had a recirculating bov but its not just an atmosphere.... so I really want a stock one can anyone help it wont let me post on the wtb adds. So if anyone has one for sale
    Check on eBay, or NASIOC's classifieds, or maybe SubaruGenuineParts.com.. if all else fails try the stealership.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

Or you can purchase an aftermarket recirculating blowoff valve, which will essentially do the same thing the stock bypass valve does:
    WRX STi Blow off Valves: 02-09 WRX & 04-09 STi Specific Blow off Valves JSC Speed
    TurboXS RBV Recirculating Blow-off Valve or the Perrin Recirculating BOV are good choices.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

Blow Off Valves

I just got my 09 wrx wagon 2 days ago and I can't deny, I am already ready to start modding her.

One of the main things I am looking to do is replace the stock wastegate. I have read that this may cause the car to burn rich, is this true? I wan't my turbo to put off that amazing "pssshhh" sound.

If it does cause rich burning on the 09's, is there any alternative to get the same sound?

In addition to that, since the stock wastegate recirculates the air, what would i do to plug the hole that the air is recirculated into? Do after market BOVs come with plugs or anything to fill that?

Sorry for any dumb questions, this is my first subbie so I'm not used to them quite yet. I have spent most of my time around srt-4's so I have never had a car with the recirculating BOV.

Thanks

Edit:
    I found a nice sounding video on youtube for the Synapse BOV that is for recirculating systems. Here is the youtube link:
    youtube.com/watch?v=Ffj01k64AZI

This really appeals to me, has anyone installed this valve? If so, can you give me an estimated install time?
    Last edited by psi_guy; 06-21-2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Found some info

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    How does a wastegate cause a car to run rich? And since when does a wastegate recirculate air? I don't think you know what a wastegate is.

Quote Originally Posted by psi_guy View Post
    Sorry for any dumb questions, this is my first subbie so I'm not used to them quite yet. I have spent most of my time around srt-4's so I have never had a car with the recirculating BOV.
    That's about to change; we are here to get you settled in from hanging around the ricers in the tuner world to someone who actually does stuff correctly. WRXs shouldn't run anything that doesn't recirculate. Keep your stock bypass valve. Until you're running more boost than it will hold, it is the best performing one. Even then, unless you're running speed density you really should stick to recirculating ones.

And for the record, true auto enthusiasts roll their eyes at people as they sound off their blow off valve. It's just so gaudy.
    Last edited by brfatal; 06-21-2009 at 10:48 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    See the "Big BOV Thread" but in general this is considered almost pointless. Expelling metered air isn't a terrific idea, particularly if done solely for the sound, and recirculating metered air is accomplished fine by the stock valve at reasonable boost levels anyway. There are "50/50" solutions that only expel some of the metered air but again, IMO this isn't where to look for fun or even for neat sounds.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    How does a wastegate cause a car to run rich? And since when does a wastegate recirculate air? I don't think you know what a wastegate is
    I used the wrong word, but I bet you knew what I was trying to say. Part of joining forums is to learn more, so I'm trying.

I used the word wastegate because I didn't think it was technically a blow off valve if it wasn't putting air back into the atmosphere.

From going to different car shows and meets I have learned that the BOV noises are either love or hate. For me, it is love. I respect anyone that doesn't want one on their car, but for me it's a must.

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by psi_guy View Post
    gaudy maybe, but it is a sound that brings a smile to my face.

I used the word wastegate because i didn't think it was still a blow off valve if it wasn't pumping into the atmosphere. my bad.

the youtube link i put has one that claims to be good for any boost level, and allows the user to keep the recirculating air.
    Which Youtube link?

Maybe it didn't show because of my post count.

youtube . com /watch?v=Ffj01k64AZI

If that doesn't work, look up syNapse synchronic sb001 wrx on youtube. the video i am talking about is on synapse's youtube front page