"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 704

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a HKS SSQV on my 02 WRX wagon, and i know they make recirculation kits for the BOV ...

I have a HKS SSQV on my 02 WRX wagon, and i know they make recirculation kits for the BOV but not for the car itself. I was wondering if anyone fooled around with a kit and made it work for the WRX. And another question, would recirculation help at all? Thanks
    2004 WRX (currently driving)
    2000 Audi S4 APR tuned (sold)
    2002 WRX wagon ( sold )
    1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxwagon2 View Post
    I have a HKS SSQV on my 02 WRX wagon, and i know they make recirculation kits for the BOV but not for the car itself. I was wondering if anyone fooled around with a kit and made it work for the WRX. And another question, would recirculation help at all? Thanks
    What's the point.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxwagon2 View Post
    And another question, would recirculation help at all? Thanks
    Considering the stock setup is 100% recirculation, my humble response would be YES.

does anybody make an adapter to use for fmic and stock bov, i currently have hks bov and not a big fan of hks bov i like stock bov

Does anyone know what tyoe of turbo the stock turbo is on a 04 wrx?

Does anyone know what type of turbo the stock turbo is on a 04 wrx?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tacomix View Post
    Does anyone know what tyoe of turbo the stock turbo is on a 04 wrx?
    Quote Originally Posted by tacomix View Post
    Does anyone know what type of turbo the stock turbo is on a 04 wrx?
    TD04-13T

Why the hell are you posting this in the BOV thread, and why did you do it twice?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    The stock BPV is stamped mild steel. Weight is not as much an issue to me as precision, and there's no argument about that. It is identical in behavior to the stock piece (the GReddy unit). I got no improvement, and no detrimental result, so it's a moot subject IMO, you get a recip or do nothing, unless you have a major rebuild under your hood.

Thanks for keeping the answers readable!

The IHI turbo I have is externally gated. I get 24psi without the egt sensor plug plugged in, but I get a CEL (evap sensor code). I get 14psi with the plug intact with wicked surging. I am thinking a resistor is my next purchase. I know I can fool the EGT into a median temp., and run an aftermarket gauge, but something tells me there is a program for this which will create a "fix", something on the Tactrix, maybe a complete reflash? I am waiting to get this stuff finished and go for that. I just bet it is possible to do better than to limp to the shop though...
    I bought the car with the EGT plug disconnected. No EGT probe. A HA!

So thanks for the input, I am now shopping for a nicer wastegate and some hoses/pipe... If it's gonna be a shiny bunch of jewelry under the hood, it's gonna be a shiny BUNCH of jewelry. I want it to look like MR. T lost his lunch in my engine compartment. If you work out daily, and you use any form of weight-gain supplement, I would be happy to take you to our local pawn shop for lunch, followed by a drinking contest in my Impreza EJ20 Wet Bar!
    Just install the resistor and move on. IMHO, a tune will not permanently solve the CEL unless someone using tatrix has discovered a way to raise the CEL initiation threshold for the evap sensor (egt). It's only a buck for like four of these from radio shack, and takes less then a minute to install. I had one on every modified Subaru I owned as the intermittent initiation of the CEL seemed to have no logic behind it. You know you don't need it with the EGT sensor gone, so just bypass it.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Are BOV's really that bad????

I have an 02 wrx that i just got it has some sti stuff on it like a body kit and the sprayers for the intercooler. I dont know what else. But the guy that had it before put an HKS recirculating BOV on it I have been told my car doesnt pull as hard as other base wrx's. Could this be my problem??? And if so how much is a stock onee and why is it so bad.

I Support ClubWRX
    "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged)

is where your answer lies...and where this thread will merge.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Are they THAT bad? No. BUT, many aftermarket BoVs and BPVs.(a rather large percentage, especially the SSQV V1) actually leak and the owners never notice because they don't data log. In addition, BoV/BPVs are not maintenance free like the stock BPV. Without this maintenance, they will eventually fail. In addition, you may likely experience bogging between shifts from the well known rich conditions due to the venting of metered air.

It doesn't help that BoVs are extremely obnoxious as well, and most auto enthusiasts just roll their eyes at you when you "psssh" at them.

What damage will a BoV do to your car? Probably not a whole lot. For most people they will have to replace their spark plugs earlier due to running rich when shifting. If you have a bad enough boost leak though, rich conditions can cause detonation.
    Last edited by brfatal; 06-04-2009 at 12:20 AM.

Registered User AllShallPerishJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WrxLove02 View Post
    I have an 02 wrx that i just got it has some sti stuff on it like a body kit and the sprayers for the intercooler. I dont know what else. But the guy that had it before put an HKS recirculating BOV on it I have been told my car doesnt pull as hard as other base wrx's. Could this be my problem??? And if so how much is a stock onee and why is it so bad.
    Define bad? "Bad" can mean any numerous speculative intensity's. To be completely honest, the BOV argument is very touchy...and frankly a lot of the hearsay and opinionated factual evidence is often blown way out of proportion. Do yourself a favor and check out this article...and if you're REALLY that into BOV's I suggest looking into the Go Fast Bits Stealth/Deceptor model. Fully adjustable setting for full VTA or Bypass.
    Learn stuff - BOV (Blow off valve) is it just performance noise? - RaceDotCom.com with SuspensionParts.info

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by AllShallPerishJ View Post
    and if you're REALLY that into BOV's I suggest looking into the Go Fast Bits
    GFB is one of the brands known to leak pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by WrxLove02 View Post
    Even if its recirculated, it may not function properly. Just sell the HKS and buy an oem bypass valve.
    --Justin

Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

Registered User AllShallPerishJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    GFB is one of the brands known to leak pretty bad.
    Just to play devils advocate, and to bring up a good point in the link I provided, here is this excerpt. But don't get me wrong, I am in no way and do not claim to be anything close to an expert on the topic of discussion.

"The term leak unfortunately does not in any way indicate a MAGNITUDE, and hence should be very carefully used. The pistons in your engine leak, but the engine still works. Your boost control solenoid leaks boost, but you donít see a drop in boost pressure because of it. The SIZE of a leak is very, very important. For you to see a loss of boost on a gauge or data log, it needs to be quite significant Ė consider the amount of air entering your engine at full boost.

For argumentís sake, letís assume your engine normally consumes 320CFM @ 14psi of boost. If the turbo does nothing to compensate for a leak (it will to a certain extent because of the nature of the wastegate system, but will be ignored for this example), and you see a boost loss of 2psi, for this to occur you would have to be losing 22CFM. The size of the leak would have to be the equivalent of an 8mm hole (derived from standard flow tables), which is pretty large.

So if you pull your aftermarket BOV off and find that putting a vacuum pump or compressor on it results in a few bubble coming out of it, you shouldnít immediately panic. As I mentioned before, your boost control solenoid leaks in order to control boost (which is approximately equivalent to a 1mm hole), and if the leak you find on a BOV is similar, then you can be pretty sure itís not costing you power. If on the other hand you could comfortably and constantly draw breath through it without suffocating, thatís a different story."