"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 703

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 As for the aftermarket MAF adapters you are showing me, I can guess (please correct me ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0 View Post
    As for the aftermarket MAF adapters you are showing me, I can guess (please correct me if I am wrong) that those require a retune. I was able to bolt the WR intake on and go, no tuning required (might be smart to do anyway).
    Well what parameters for an intake constitute a retune?Are you just guessing blindly or do you know? I know what they are but what I'm getting to is why just guess?Your guessing those intakes need a retune and your guessing that the Weapon-R doesn't.I have a laptop with a datalogging/tuning programs and a wideband AFR sensor.I know when something needs to be changed,I don't guess.That is the difference between us right know.Knowing and guessing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impreza2.0
    I am really done with my intake, it works perfectly. I can see how the air charge may be a bit hotter at idle
    Your sitting in traffic on a hot summer day.Your underhood temps are elevated.There is a cute girl next to at the light with her boyfriend in a Corvette.Light turns green and you just want him to get a good look at your tail lights and stretch the Subies legs alittle.You get heavy into the gas and all of a sudden boost drops to 8psi and your CEL is on and the cruiselight is flashing.You "knocked" or "detonated" because of the high intake air temps not having a chance to cool down before you rompted on the throttle.Your not moving fast enough for the intercooler to work efficiently nor for the hot underhood air to be displaced.This happens all the time with WRX's and STI's at the dragstrip who don't pop the hood between runs or cool down the IC and intake.Happens on the street too.
    I am really interested in an answer to my question about aftermarket recirc. BPV. How can it not improve response during shifts? A lightweight precision CNC machined piston has to be faster than a stamped steel one... Adjustability seems wise too, if other upgrades are made more easily tuned-for.
    Has more to do with spring pressure than piston design in my opinion.I moddified my stock BPV to hold more boost pressure.Two ways to do this:crush the top of the BPV slightly to increase spring presure(old DSM mod) or reroute the BPV signal line.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It seems boost cut is initiated early.
    This has to do with the setting in the ECU.Has nothing to do with the BPV.
    I don't want to know how to tune the BPV, I want to know if replacing it with a nicely machined one is going to make any difference in reaction time during shifts. It's a bypass valve, not a blow-off valve, I do know better, and no: until I have deeper understanding of the systems, and have the mods that require it, I will avoid the BOV.I just wonder if a fully recirc BPV is a good upgrade, the one in question is a Greddy RS.
    Like I said,these things do not come "pretuned" for you.They are not even always preset from the factory the same.Same as an adjustable FPR.They have no idea what fuel pressure you need.It's adjustable for a reason,so you can adjust it to your needs(and they don't know what that is).People ALL the time slap these on and now the car won't idle or they have way to much compressor surge.Is it going to make a difference in between shifts?Depends on if it is set right or not.....do you see where I'm going here?It possibly can but your driving skills will make more of a difference then the BPV.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Pshhhhh
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Wink I wish I was drunk?

Thank you Sinister, that was the kind of answer I was looking for. An intelligent one with an explanation. I am going to go ahead and bolt this thing on and see what happens.

I'll let you know if I get handed a graduation certificate from BOV University.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thank you Sinister, that was the kind of answer I was looking for. An intelligent one with an explanation. I am going to go ahead and bolt this thing on and see what happens.

I'll let you know if I get handed a graduation certificate from BOV University.
    I thought Donkey had thrown a quality answer out there, and I felt like wh0ring

Good luck with the RBV Mods!
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

thanks!

That's exactly what it feels like bolting something like this onto my car. Prostitution. I know all I am going to have from now on is something shiny that makes mechanics wonder if there is a nightmare behind it... It works fine. Actually, it sounds identical to the stock BPV, and the car drives absolutely the same way. The plug won't clear the CEL unless I get an EGT node put in.

The answers have all been intelligent, and I am glad this lil' bit o' discipline exists, or I would have ruined my car by now.

Thanks guys!

=)

I just bolted on a go fast bits WRX Hybrid for my MY06 the other day and i reckon its a great product! makes wikid noise and was so easy to install!! took me 15-20 mins cus everything jus bolted straight on, i currently have it set on 50/50 and its loud enough for me, a big woosh! after 3000rpm, but its good how below 3000rpm its quite because the police here are hell fussy...

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I thought Donkey had thrown a quality answer out there, and I felt like wh0ring
    Very quality. I pulled a because it was odd to see someone giving a quality answer that really helps, as opposed to flaming the hell out of someone.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yessir!

The stock BPV is stamped mild steel. Weight is not as much an issue to me as precision, and there's no argument about that. It is identical in behavior to the stock piece (the GReddy unit). I got no improvement, and no detrimental result, so it's a moot subject IMO, you get a recip or do nothing, unless you have a major rebuild under your hood.

Thanks for keeping the answers readable!

The IHI turbo I have is externally gated. I get 24psi without the egt sensor plug plugged in, but I get a CEL (evap sensor code). I get 14psi with the plug intact with wicked surging. I am thinking a resistor is my next purchase. I know I can fool the EGT into a median temp., and run an aftermarket gauge, but something tells me there is a program for this which will create a "fix", something on the Tactrix, maybe a complete reflash? I am waiting to get this stuff finished and go for that. I just bet it is possible to do better than to limp to the shop though...
    I bought the car with the EGT plug disconnected. No EGT probe. A HA!

So thanks for the input, I am now shopping for a nicer wastegate and some hoses/pipe... If it's gonna be a shiny bunch of jewelry under the hood, it's gonna be a shiny BUNCH of jewelry. I want it to look like MR. T lost his lunch in my engine compartment. If you work out daily, and you use any form of weight-gain supplement, I would be happy to take you to our local pawn shop for lunch, followed by a drinking contest in my Impreza EJ20 Wet Bar!

I Support ClubWRX
    The IHI turbo I have is externally gated.
    Thought you said you had a Td05.......which is a Mitsubishi turbo.

So far I have a ported TD05
    Last edited by Donkey; 05-05-2009 at 06:45 AM.
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

BOV and intake questoin

What are the pros and cons of a blitz blow off valve, and what is the pros and cons of an after market intake

Both really good questions. I hope someone knows.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Princess Moderator

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    Both really good questions. I hope someone knows.
    hahahahahaha

Here you go, Happy reading!

"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged)
    Jennifer - "Consigliere" for the Bugeye Mafia
    ScoobyDMCtt - Blobeye Syndicate #007
    04 STi ECU - with Protune - FSTi Garrett GT40 -- 422whp-more to come... 12.86 @ 105

BoBBy TuNED@ preracing.com --- DIFFERENT STROKES

questions about some BoV's

a few friends said get a rfl and a few said get a ssqv.....personally i love the rfl sound but i hear they leak a make boost fluctulate a bit and i want no leak at all i was wondering if this is true and if so im going to get a ssqv

Quote Originally Posted by scuba stev3 View Post
    a few friends said get a rfl and a few said get a ssqv.....personally i love the rfl sound but i hear they leak a make boost fluctulate a bit and i want no leak at all i was wondering if this is true and if so im going to get a ssqv
    Check the link in my sig...info there, and ALL over the thread that your BOV post was merged with.

Save your money for some worthwhile mods and don't get one, since its not necessary for Subarus
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying