"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 701

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; is there anyway to get the bov sound without running rich and everything. im not talking about a noise maker ...

is there anyway to get the bov sound without running rich and everything. im not talking about a noise maker though, like is there a legit bov that will only release some air, not all of it, so that i dont run rich, but i still get the sound. i know i cant tune for it, but i want the sound without the problems. any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by durbiwrx View Post
    is there anyway to get the bov sound without running rich and everything. im not talking about a noise maker though, like is there a legit bov that will only release some air, not all of it, so that i dont run rich, but i still get the sound. i know i cant tune for it, but i want the sound without the problems. any ideas?
    You can actually get the sound by getting a short-ram intake believe it or not!

I have the K&N typhoon, and all the time I get "Nice blow off valve", I just smile and say thanks.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Wrinklechops
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    You can actually get the sound by getting a short-ram intake believe it or not!

I have the K&N typhoon, and all the time I get "Nice blow off valve", I just smile and say thanks.
    Indeed. Even taking out the stock "snorkus" allows you to hear the stock bpv a little better... that's what I did. Supposedly better airflow too, but I don't know about all that.

whats a snorkus?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by durbiwrx View Post
    whats a snorkus?
    It has 2 purposes, one it helps in the even of water ingestion, and 2ndly as a silencer/resonator chamber for the intake.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    GP Moto Air Intake Silencer Delete Elbow for 02-07 Subaru WRX & STi - 11304

or

Intake Snorkus Remover - Intake

Either one of those can go where this big hunk of plastic that sits in your fender well is...

Stolen from fastwrx.com who stole it from subaru
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    And just because I'm feeling frisky....

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/int...=&threadid=113

That's how you do it!

Took me about 10 minutes to remove my snorkus.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    One last note... you HAVE to cover your intake with a plastic bag when you wash your car. I did read a story about water getting onto the stock air filter because the snorkus wasn't in place.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Wrinklechops
    One last note... you HAVE to cover your intake with a plastic bag when you wash your car. I did read a story about water getting onto the stock air filter because the snorkus wasn't in place.
    Found this one too How to: Air Box Silencer Delete but dang I better watch out for the water I've never had that problem yet...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lundholm08 View Post
    Found this one too How to: Air Box Silencer Delete but dang I better watch out for the water I've never had that problem yet...
    Did you notice there was stuff in the bottom of your snorkus? Well now all of that is going into your intake instead of down the snorkus. (Unless you didn't install an intake elbow)

My personal opinion is to do a short ram intake instead. The fear of water ingestion, is closer to 0.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Wrinklechops
    Did you notice there was stuff in the bottom of your snorkus? Well now all of that is going into your intake instead of down the snorkus. (Unless you didn't install an intake elbow)

My personal opinion is to do a short ram intake instead. The fear of water ingestion, is closer to 0.
    Si. I need to do a short ram like APS or K+N, I just wasn't sure how it would react to the Accessport. I took the elbow and everything out - like I was supposed to (??)... and yea, no problems over the last 6 months or so. Definitely need a SRI though.

I Support ClubWRX
    Si. I need to do a short ram like APS or K+N, I just wasn't sure how it would react to the Accessport. I took the elbow and everything out - like I was supposed to (??)... and yea, no problems over the last 6 months or so. Definitely need a SRI though.
    Cobb says that if you use their SRI there will be no problems... and there has been plenty of proof on nasioc that the KandN and SPTs are fine too... I'm assuming APS is fine because it's on Unabomber's Intake FAQ
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

I Support ClubWRX
    Supposedly better airflow too, but I don't know about all that.
    myth
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I Support ClubWRX

The stuff gets in the snorkus from the front air scoop.Now it will just get dumped into the fender well when you remove the snorkus.People with short rams constantly have problems with wet filters which in turn causes wet MAF sensors which in turn equals crappy running Subaru.It not just from washing their car.It's also from driving in rain with cars with poor hood seals.Same cars have problems from the filter getting wet with the car just sitting in a rain storm.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

not verbatim, but someone here said something like this once:

the ability for your air box to suck up water with a removed snorkus would be like trying to suck a beverage through a straw with your mouth hovering above the straw. theres no vaccum pull where any liquids are going to be.
    "I do well to be angry, even unto death."
    I ♥ rice