"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 700
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by jeremy96gase Incorrect. Loosing that small amount of air does, in fact, make a big difference. Yes, that's ...

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    Incorrect. Loosing that small amount of air does, in fact, make a big difference.
    Yes, that's what I was saying... with the STOCK tune, it probably presents problems. Sorry I wasn't very clear on that.
    2009 DGM WRX 5-door w/ STI short shifter. Stock...for now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicatrize View Post
    Yes, that's what I was saying... with the STOCK tune, it probably presents problems. Sorry I wasn't very clear on that.
    You cannot tune for a blow-off valve.

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    You cannot tune for a blow-off valve.
    You can adjust fuel.

I Support ClubWRX
    You can adjust fuel.
    When? Based on clutch disengagement? Do you have such a map handy?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    You can adjust fuel.
    Not in this case. The ECU would need a trigger to see the need to adjust fuel. Since it is seeing an measured air flow that doesn't exist, how could you then tell it to reduce fuel only at this specific point? Not to mention, the amount to be adjusted would have to be balance across the whole throttle position. Don't think it can be done. It would be easier to change the flow sensor type from MAF to MAP.
    tEh PriUs=teH faSTah!@@!
    08 Audi S5 Black Diamond edition
    SOLD: 05 SWP Legacy GT Limited 5MT, 13.3ish@105 (stage 2) crappy stock clutch
    SOLD: 04 MPS/SW WRX Sti. 12.971 @ 103.97 (stock)
    278 AWHP/283 AWT, Catback exhaust
    306 AWHP/341 AWT, Stage 2
    (Scott) Moderator-STi, Drag Racing, Car Purchasing, and Tutorial Forums

Quote Originally Posted by YBNormal07 View Post
    Not in this case. The ECU would need a trigger to see the need to adjust fuel. Since it is seeing an measured air flow that doesn't exist, how could you then tell it to reduce fuel only at this specific point? Not to mention, the amount to be adjusted would have to be balance across the whole throttle position. Don't think it can be done. It would be easier to change the flow sensor type from MAF to MAP.
    Aye. My bad. I'm new to this turbo game. I figured the ability would be built into the ECU to handle it.

I Support ClubWRX
    This has been asked, answered, debated, and answered again. No need for another post here about it.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

I Support ClubWRX
    merge-o-rama
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

so i haven't searched through this 700 pg thread but... just looking for a simple answer to a question. i have a hks ssqv for my speed3... and would like to put it onto my brothers 06' wrx. if i were to just buy a 06' wrx flange for the bov it'd work for his car right? and IF it was run in recirculating mode it'd be fine and hopefully not run rich because it wouldn't be VTA!? any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by fvMS3 View Post
    so i haven't searched through this 700 pg thread but... just looking for a simple answer to a question. i have a hks ssqv for my speed3... and would like to put it onto my brothers 06' wrx. if i were to just buy a 06' wrx flange for the bov it'd work for his car right? and IF it was run in recirculating mode it'd be fine and hopefully not run rich because it wouldn't be VTA!? any help would be appreciated.
    Yes, you can mount it with right flange. Is it a good idea, no.
    The only reason to swap the stock BPV is if it leaks, most will hold 20psi with out a problem.
    The only way to tell if it "will be fine" is to data log.
    In a nut shell BOV and intakes are bad for Subarus.
    A lot answers can be found here, Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
    VF30 powered 02 wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    I figured the ability would be built into the ECU to handle it.
    Why would it be?The car comes with a BPV not a BOV from the factory.Just assuming the car has such an abilit instead of knowing generally gets people into trouble (intakes,TGV deletes,bigger turbos with no EM.....)
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart Racer View Post
    Yes, you can mount it with right flange. Is it a good idea, no.
    The only reason to swap the stock BPV is if it leaks, most will hold 20psi with out a problem.
    I wouldn't say it's a 'bad' idea, or a 'good' one, since the recirc BOV (wouldn't it be a BPV at that point? ) would do the same thing the stocker does?

Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

thanks for the info oldfart! and rogan i was thinking the same thing... if its run in recirc. mode it'd be a bpv? iono i could totally be wrong... but i also have the newest version hks which is auto adjusting... not sure if that matters or not. just thought i'd help my bro out and pass my bov/bpv to him as i wont be needed it anymore and will be getting another bov for my speed3 that is more stock-like because the hks hits the hood on the speed3.

Pay attention to what you're posting and where you're posting it.
    Last edited by Rogan; 04-12-2009 at 04:38 AM. Reason: This is not a wheel/tire thread

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by joshwrx88 View Post
    quick question i was wondering if you could give me some advice i am looking to purchase 18 inch rims for my 2003 wrx and i was curious if they are too big and should just stick to 17 inch. i dont want to mess up the smooth ride

Start a new thread pal. You're in the Blow Off Valve thread.
    And depending on the offset and width you can put 18" wheels on your wrx
    Last edited by Sinister; 04-11-2009 at 07:38 PM.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.