"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 790 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107507 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Actually let me make a small correction. The wastegate does not release "boost", only exhaust gasses however this has a ...

God
    Actually let me make a small correction. The wastegate does not release "boost", only exhaust gasses however this has a direct effect on how much boost you get from the turbo. A little different. One is relesing exhaust gas, one is releasing pressurized air. Your WRX comes with a bypass valve stock but what you hear on the street is probably the atmospheric ones which vent to atmosphere. They don't enhance performance really on a mild car but they sound nice and in my case it was necessary (front mount intercooler). It has no negative effect on the engine at all.
    Daniel Ponze, Lead Tuner Tuning Factory, Inc.
    PH: (248) 477-0700___FX: (248) 477-0701

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

phast,

nice explanation.

god,

nice clarification.

No Ticket Yet!,

Please search before posting.
    (sorry guys, THE SEARCH HITLER himself caught this one!)

I really have to get the FAQ page going ASAP!!

-Jim

The wastegate does not release "boost", only exhaust gasses however this has a direct effect on how much boost you get from the turbo. A little different. One is relesing exhaust gas, one is releasing pressurized air.
    thx god. a bit of a slip up there.

dR <-----needs to pay better attention to what he's typing.

You should get a CNC shop to make you some custom Greddy adapters so you can run a Greddy and have it reroute back in to the intake. It's been done before. I have one. Not for a WRX though. Greddy won't leak.

I just installed by TurboXS Type H last night and noticed the same thing (well not the drip - we're talking the car, right?). I also noticed a change in boost. I actually had to get the allen out and adjust my TurboXS HPBC down a quarter turn. You're right though, in between shifts I find myself looking in the rear view mirror looking for gear shrapnel.
    Platinum sedan with:
    TurboXS Stage II - TurboXS unichip and downpipe and catback, Godspeed uppipe, TurboXS Type H BOV, silencer removed, carbon fiber dash kit (real), H&R springs, 17" Prodrive P1's Anthracite, Foglight mod with no Daytime, and 20% tint

I have had my Turboxs Bov for about 9000 miles. I have never noticed a difference in driveabuility. I live in a cold climate and it doesn't make a difference on my car. As far as the excess buildup on the tail pipe, I do notice that. I will be running a cat less racing exhaust this summer so I'm not to worried about build up on the tail pipe. Good Luck to all.
    "Work All Day to Drive All Night"

02 WRB WRX Gone But Not Forgotten
    Injen CAI, Turboxs BOV and MBC, Whiteline Springs, 18" ADR rims, Clear Side Reflectors, Kartboy Short Shifter, KB bushings, KB shift knob, Reverse Indiglow Gauges, Carbon Fiber Boost Gauge and A/F, Push Start Ignition, Scooby Sport Down Pipe and Mid pipe, God Speed Uppipe, Turboxs custom unichip, Bosal Muffler

Registered User Quantum-Racing.com's Avatar
    IMHO, get a good recirc BOV (if you really gotta have one).
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Home of the Dynapack AWD Dyno
    Sales Email, Tech Email

great turbo reference page

Fellas,

When I had my turbo Eclipse I stumbled upon this page. Some guy put together a page with great tutorials for fixing up DSM rides. Along with it, he included this Reference section, which you can access by clicking the "Reference Material" link on the left. I've started reading it again and I really like the way things are explained. Maybe good for us newbies trying to learn how forced induction works. He also has some good theories on back pressure, and how that effects boost. Check it out and let me know what you think...

http://www.jumptronix.com/2g_go_faster/index.htm

Steve G

For Everyone With Just an MBC and No Engine Management

I read this on a thread on i-club written by Ken Cole (not to be confused with the shoemaker) of Rally Performance (http://www.rallyperformance.com). Given the number of people on ClubWRX.net who use MBCs only, I thought I'd point out that he strongly discourages the use of MBCs without engine management because he's witnessed many engine breakdowns.

Here's the relevant extract:

I am a bit surprised at how many people go straight to boost first... maybe because it is a cheap mod, but heres the issue: We dont sell boost controllers and wont unless engine management is combined with it in a solid approach. Pete has about one car per week in the shop to get a new engine because of boost controllers. The typical conversation goes:

"I'd like to have you install a boost controller" "Actually, we dont sell these and dont recommend them short of a good engine management system working in concert with them. We've got other ways to get you the horsepower..." "Well, if I buy one, will you install it for me? " "Absolutely. Could we also get you on the calendar now for the engine replacement....?"

Let me reiterate that I am not throwing rocks at other shops or vendors, but I think that all the good ones might agree that to run out and make the first mod a boost controller will be very expensive in the long run.

Here's the thread.

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthr...hreadid=153104

Any thoughts?

Everything in moderation...

I would think there is a big difference (in terms of risk to your motor) between running 15psi using an MBC and running 17psi using an MBC. I'm also guessing that the difference in HP is not all that great - especially given that the ECU will pull timing after a point. It is a cheap and easy mod, and has good bang-for-the-buck so of course it's going to be very popular, especially with the younger, maybe more budget-conscious crowd.

It does seem like the initial temptation is for people to crank-up the boost as high as the ECU will tolerate. This fact is probably what has gained the MBC its stigma as indicated by some of the reputable tuning shops.

Mine is set at 15psi. I use it to help with getting a little higher boost in 1st and 2nd than stock, and because I have found that at this altitude it gives much more consistent boost than the oem boost control solenoid. In a few months I will fit a Unichip, but will likely keep running the MBC too.

Just my 2c.

-Pace

Perhaps one must consider the target audience once again. I must admit i'm one of those people that goes straight for boost b/c it is the cheapest way to gain hp and whoop some butt.

But if it's set at a moderate setting, it shouldn't break down the engine as quickly as stated by the posting. Of course you DO have morons that don't understand the concept of engine management and thus blow their engines by setting them at 17psi or even unrealistically higher settings.

*sigh* Always the few bad apples that spoils the barrel.

---RaCinWRX

Registered User Quantum-Racing.com's Avatar
    OK, lemme add what I think is part of the reasoning behind that and a big part of the EGT problem. The Subie uses different pressures in different gears. At cruise mode, it looks at the O2 sensor to make sure it adjusts for the right A/F ratio. Once you put your foot into it, at about 30% throttle, it throws the signals out the window and follows a preset table for fuel settings and runs it rich for more power (safely). If you add a boost controller, it is going to hit a higher pressure and still be using the same old fuel settings. You will get more power because you are running leaner (although still technically rich) and also hotter on top of simply more air. Add the stock up-pipe to the equation and you are asking for it.
    Am MBC is a great way to get more power...for a while.
    If you want to go with minimums, I wouldn't do less than up-pipe, EGT gauge, S-AFC and maybe an A/F ratiometer before playing with boost.
    That said, I think it is fine as long as you only use it for faster response and not higher pressure.
    Last edited by Quantum-Racing.com; 03-05-2002 at 06:56 AM.
    www.Quantum-Racing.com
    Home of the Dynapack AWD Dyno
    Sales Email, Tech Email

The same thing can be said for after market ECU's. These give you more power by leaning out the engine. If you go too far, you'll get into trouble.

If things are done in moderation, you shouldn't have any major problems.

Any mod for performance increases is bound to cause something to wear quicker and thus have a shorter life expectancy. I can personally live with this, but not financially (yet). Hence putting off the APS RT Spec kit for a while. :-(
    ---
    danwrxor
    Dark Blue MY01.
    No mods. (yet)

I have my Joe-P set at max 14.5 in 5th gear. I dont want to worry about running tooo much psi and encountering any problems later on.
    Still trying to figure out how to direct the air from the scoop to the turbo a little better!

My understanding with the TurboXS unichips (at least the later stages 3 and 4) are tuned with safety in mind and run more rich at the sacrifice of a little performance. MBCs work great with them. But of course everything has its limits.

Anyone that goes to have a shop install and mbc probably should be messing with boost control! Then they end up screwing with the boost, and pop.

So anyway, I prefer mbc to ebc.
    Erik
    '02 Subaru WRX
    12.73@108.32
    287whp/277wtq

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.