"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 699
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by jma_1000 might melt your bumper with a 5ft long fireball. it might be better if you could ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jma_1000 View Post
    might melt your bumper with a 5ft long fireball. it might be better if you could shorten it to like 3ft instead. install the spark plug further back, like where the o2 sensor usually goes in your dp. that should do the trick.

i like the breathing dragon idea. ooooo, i know. when you hit the dragon breathing nitrous switch, you should wire in a relay that flickers your hi-lows really quick. so it looks like the 'eyes' are glaring and stuff.
    and some LEDs right near the nitrous, so it looks like the smoke is red!!

Fast and furious really needs to give us a call...
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

no kidding. at least these ideas would work, instead of a fake perrin interfooler.

i guess in order to get the whole original cast, they had to cut the budget somewhere. performance of the cars is where it was obviously done.
    "I do well to be angry, even unto death."
    I ♥ rice

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    your last two posts are grounds for the banstik!
    no way! this is brainstorming, thinking outside the box. this is how innovation works!

ok, back on track: what is the loudest BOV?
    I ♥ rice

and neon lights in your wheel wells
    2007 WRB WRX Limited SOLD
    2008 QSM Legacy Spec.B

Quote Originally Posted by falkonsti View Post
    and neon lights in your wheel wells
    this was at a local meet one time:

holla!
    I ♥ rice

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Meh.

That's not true. There is nothing wrong with a good aftermarket intake and a BoV cannot tuned for. The rich problem isn't that bad. You may just wear down your cats or foul a plug. The biggest problems with BoVs is that most of them tend to leak, require maintance/setup, and they attract negative attention.
    if the aftermarket intake has larger piping or MAF sensor housing specs it will throw your readings off and could make you run lean without a tune. And a BOV is seriously a noob first mod, no disrespect. Our cars are tuned to the stock BPV, throwing a BOV on without supporting mods will make you run rich.
    How Fast Can You Afford To Go?

Quote Originally Posted by brfatal View Post
    Meh.

That's not true. There is nothing wrong with a good aftermarket intake and a BoV cannot tuned for. The rich problem isn't that bad. You may just wear down your cats or foul a plug. The biggest problems with BoVs is that most of them tend to leak, require maintance/setup, and they attract negative attention.

You have data logs to back up this statement, right.
    It is info like this that kills motors.
    VF30 powered 02 wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Black X Dahlia View Post
    if the aftermarket intake has larger piping or MAF sensor housing specs it will throw your readings off and could make you run lean without a tune. And a BOV is seriously a noob first mod, no disrespect. Our cars are tuned to the stock BPV, throwing a BOV on without supporting mods will make you run rich.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart Racer View Post
    You have data logs to back up this statement, right.
    It is info like this that kills motors.
    definitely a surprise coming out of brfatal... usually he's spot on, or close to spot on with his advice.. it's never delivered in the most cordial package, but it's 99% right! lmao
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

vta blowoff valve

i just put on a vta blowoff valve, and when i m in high rpm it back fires. what do i have to do to adjust it?

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no adjustment for it.........that is caused by the over rich condition of venting to atmosphere.Did you not research your purchase first?Pretty well know info...........read the stickies up top.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

BOV theory

"Proponent opinions notwithstanding, there is a small mechanical downside to having an after market BOV (VTA) on a stock WRX. The problem comes when releasing air to the atmosphere that has already been metered by the mass airflow sensor. When the BOV releases (blows off), the ECU will be injecting the wrong amount of fuel into the cylinders. The engine temporarily runs too rich (meaning too much fuel is injected into the cylinders). This temporary rich condition isnít typically THAT harmful, but it may cause bucking or hesitation on lift-throttle as well as some other concerns outlined in the links below. The rich condition can NOT be eliminated by engine management or tuning."

question: does a stock wrx already come with a bov that recirculates the air? and if it does, then what is the difference between the stock one, and one that releases into the atomosphere? why would that cause your engine to run to rich with the only difference being where the air is blown off too? if someone could explain this, that would be awesome. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by durbiwrx View Post
    "Proponent opinions notwithstanding, there is a small mechanical downside to having an after market BOV (VTA) on a stock WRX. The problem comes when releasing air to the atmosphere that has already been metered by the mass airflow sensor. When the BOV releases (blows off), the ECU will be injecting the wrong amount of fuel into the cylinders. The engine temporarily runs too rich (meaning too much fuel is injected into the cylinders). This temporary rich condition isnít typically THAT harmful, but it may cause bucking or hesitation on lift-throttle as well as some other concerns outlined in the links below. The rich condition can NOT be eliminated by engine management or tuning."

question: does a stock wrx already come with a bov that recirculates the air? and if it does, then what is the difference between the stock one, and one that releases into the atomosphere? why would that cause your engine to run to rich with the only difference being where the air is blown off too? if someone could explain this, that would be awesome. thanks!
    Yes, it comes with a recirculating BOV. I'm not sure why it says that it would run rich, because if it did, it'd be so minor that it wouldn't even matter. The only thing I can think of is that with the stock tune, the engine thinks it's getting that little bit extra from the BOV into the cylinders, and supplies more fuel, but the BOV releases that air into the atmosphere.

Just a guess...
    2009 DGM WRX 5-door w/ STI short shifter. Stock...for now.

I Support ClubWRX
    "A stock WRX/STi comes with a BPV (Bypass valve) which is a vacuum-actuated valve designed to release pressure in the intake system when the throttle is lifted or closed. This air pressure is re-circulated back into the non-pressurized end of the intake before the turbo.

An after market blowoff valve (VTA) does basically the same thing BUT unlike the stock unit it releases air to the atmosphere (giving you the loud sound)."

"The problem comes when releasing air to the atmosphere that has already been metered by the mass airflow sensor. When the BOV releases (blows off), the ECU will be injecting the wrong amount of fuel into the cylinders. The engine temporarily runs too rich (meaning too much fuel is injected into the cylinders). This temporary rich condition isn’t typically THAT harmful, but it may cause bucking or hesitation on lift-throttle as well as some other concerns outlined in the links below. The rich condition can NOT be eliminated by engine management or tuning."

durbiwrx, Thank you for reading the FAQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Cicatrize View Post
    Yes, it comes with a recirculating BOV. I'm not sure why it says that it would run rich, because if it did, it'd be so minor that it wouldn't even matter. The only thing I can think of is that with the stock tune, the engine thinks it's getting that little bit extra from the BOV into the cylinders, and supplies more fuel, but the BOV releases that air into the atmosphere.

Just a guess...
    Incorrect. Loosing that small amount of air does, in fact, make a big difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ying View Post
    "A stock WRX/STi comes with a BPV (Bypass valve) which is a vacuum-actuated valve designed to release pressure in the intake system when the throttle is lifted or closed. This air pressure is re-circulated back into the non-pressurized end of the intake before the turbo.

An after market blowoff valve (VTA) does basically the same thing BUT unlike the stock unit it releases air to the atmosphere (giving you the loud sound)."

"The problem comes when releasing air to the atmosphere that has already been metered by the mass airflow sensor. When the BOV releases (blows off), the ECU will be injecting the wrong amount of fuel into the cylinders. The engine temporarily runs too rich (meaning too much fuel is injected into the cylinders). This temporary rich condition isn’t typically THAT harmful, but it may cause bucking or hesitation on lift-throttle as well as some other concerns outlined in the links below. The rich condition can NOT be eliminated by engine management or tuning."
    Correct.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by durbiwrx View Post

Good job...........http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...foramtion.html

Never mind that this has been discussed almost a millon times before.No offense,but newbie or not I find it hard to believe people just come on to these forums thinking there question is special has never been asked before.Look around...........
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.