"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 694
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so the whole BOV BPV...stuff do it? dont do it!!! ive read and i know what you mean, usless if ...

question.

so the whole BOV BPV...stuff

do it? dont do it!!! ive read and i know what you mean, usless if your sticking with BPV. but i also see why alot of people ask questions cuz they like the sound of the BOV. now is there REALLY a bad effect on the car. yeah it causes popping. mybe a little throttle response issue. but i dont think you will HURT your car doing. it. so is BPV or BOV completly a personal issue? cuz thats what it sounds like to me. i was talking to a tech guy on the phone and knows people who have done both and have been running VTA and has had no problems. and has never heard of anyone hurting their car bye doing so. so could we technically close the issue as a personnal preferance?????? just wondering. not trying to sound like a snob or anything. but just throwing MY thoughts into this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by goat630 View Post
    so could we technically close the issue as a personnal preferance??????
    Sure. I don't know if that "closes" the issue though.

BTW, Welcome to the club. You should introduce yourself here.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    try it for yourself, and report back, then..

I know, from PERSONAL experience, that there is a very rich condition that occurs when the bov dumps.. think, technically, what is actually taking place within the ENTIRE engine management system.

My car would go REAL fat when it would dump. this creates something called 'cylinder wash', wiping the oil from the cylinder walls for an instant. do that 1000x and look at the effects..

can you run with a bov? sure. will you be 100% fine? highly doubtful over the long run. remember, we're probably talking anywhere from 3000-6500rpm when this occurs.

The system goes full rich, then you get back on the fuel, adding MORE fuel to the combustion chamber. the O2 sees this, and tries to compensate for pulling a ton of fuel out of the mix, now you've went from full rich, to lean with an instant or two of dry cylinder walls, then back to rich state as it tries to react to the acceleration request..

But this is just my thoughts and opinions. nevermind the fact that MANY people that have posted this type of information over and over again, are quite familiar with high-performance tuning, and building of these motors.
    The subaru, and most other 'metered-air' cars react this way.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

i have a hybrid BOV,not 100% theres a difference

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    try it for yourself, and report back, then..

I know, from PERSONAL experience, that there is a very rich condition that occurs when the bov dumps.. think, technically, what is actually taking place within the ENTIRE engine management system.

My car would go REAL fat when it would dump. this creates something called 'cylinder wash', wiping the oil from the cylinder walls for an instant. do that 1000x and look at the effects..

can you run with a bov? sure. will you be 100% fine? highly doubtful over the long run. remember, we're probably talking anywhere from 3000-6500rpm when this occurs.

The system goes full rich, then you get back on the fuel, adding MORE fuel to the combustion chamber. the O2 sees this, and tries to compensate for pulling a ton of fuel out of the mix, now you've went from full rich, to lean with an instant or two of dry cylinder walls, then back to rich state as it tries to react to the acceleration request..

But this is just my thoughts and opinions. nevermind the fact that MANY people that have posted this type of information over and over again, are quite familiar with high-performance tuning, and building of these motors.
    The subaru, and most other 'metered-air' cars react this way.

Return to Stock

I bought a 02 wrx wagon not to long ago and the original owner installed a BOV. After educating myself i want to return it to stock, I have what is needed but I'm unsure about the installation. All i really want to know is if it as easy as it looks, i don't have instructions but it looks like i just need to hook up the vacuum pipe and the bigger pipe(goes back to turbo?) then screw it in. Let me know what I am missing or if there is already a thread I have not found. Thanks in advance

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wertzbe View Post
    I bought a 02 wrx wagon not to long ago and the original owner installed a BOV. After educating myself i want to return it to stock, I have what is needed but I'm unsure about the installation. All i really want to know is if it as easy as it looks, i don't have instructions but it looks like i just need to hook up the vacuum pipe and the bigger pipe(goes back to turbo?) then screw it in. Let me know what I am missing or if there is already a thread I have not found. Thanks in advance
    It's pretty straight-forward.. two bolts to the intercooler, and the hose to the turbo inlet. Also, the vac. line to the top of the BPV.
    Rogan o_0

Question

i Installed a greddy BOV into my 02 wrx ,idk whats wrong but after i installed it it started smelling like gas when i start it up
    but only before its warmed up once it is the smell goes away but theres still a noticeable scent. Any ideas why its doing this???

Quote Originally Posted by Skoobie Doo View Post
    i Installed a greddy BOV into my 02 wrx ,idk whats wrong but after i installed it it started smelling like gas when i start it up
    but only before its warmed up once it is the smell goes away but theres still a noticeable scent. Any ideas why its doing this???
    Ahhh the smell of running rich at idle...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Ahhh the smell of running rich at idle...
    is the BOV slightly open when idling? I'd bet it is, causing the ecu to freak with the fuel mixture and give you the "fuel" smell you're experiencing.
    Rogan o_0

i have a 02 and i found that i had a fuel leak on the fuel line (small leak)on the passenger side and it smelld really strong before i warmed my car up. go pick up the part from subaru dealership it bout 80-90 bucks (if u dont know what your doing your going to have to pay for labor as well) it is a fuel line and your going to need intake gaskets ill have the part numbers posted in the next few days

Quote Originally Posted by luvly lucy View Post
    i have a 02 and i found that i had a fuel leak on the fuel line (small leak)on the passenger side and it smelld really strong before i warmed my car up. go pick up the part from subaru dealership it bout 80-90 bucks (if u dont know what your doing your going to have to pay for labor as well) it is a fuel line and your going to need intake gaskets ill have the part numbers posted in the next few days
    Same car, different day, I think alot of people are interested in a louder wastegate? Your BPV is not going to do much for sound unless you have a short ram with a fairly open filter. As for that PSSSH sound, our wastegates are really not the finest quality, nor are our BPVs. If you want to upgrade, use a billet unit witht he closest manufacturing similarities you can to our stock units. The control rod on the wastegate can get sticky, and that can cause a little residual buildup, and when it gets evacuated, it is noticeable as a smell, like old burning oil (which is what that is). The oil/fuel mixture is volatile, usually burns before a risk is inherent, but can create detonation in parts of the engine not made to recieve such forces.

Stock is pretty darned perfect. If you keep after it like you are it's babysitter... otherwise, if you like pretty stuff that is a little more aggressive sounding than stock without calling the Sherriff to see your pretty dragster, a few competing companies make components that are better performing, and looking, than our stock units. Whether they are going to shave seconds off your 1/4 ets, I wouldn't bet.

You get the peace of mind of knowing someone painstakingly machined your parts, rather than a robot slamming a piston into a sleeve, then passing it to the next arm to have the control rod screwed in, and passed on, and on, until someone who sees a thousand valves per shift at work looks at it, and throws it in a box of passed, inspected parts. About $3 in materials and $5 in labor to make our BPV. A billet piece takes about as long to make, but tooling is obviously much more involved. It also has a precision to it that nothing can best.

IMO, $300 for a crate of polishing compound is as good an investment in the latest "synchonic sequencing split chamber silence shattering snoot canister". It is viable that an engine properly built with a name brand BOV or BPV will perform more smoothly. It supports the industry to buy it. Most of them are a temptation which ultimately results in the sale of a slightly used, but very attractive piece of high-grade metal with a very sexy shape, and a penchant for causing piston glazing and cylinder wall incineration. It beats buying knock-offs, a no-no... but it probably isn't going to be the thing that gets you first place at Hot Import Nights.

new wrx owner

well i just bought a 2003 wrx

i just got a greddy bov that i wanted to install, but just found out i might need a new turbo downpipe, because the one i have is a little dent ( car was salvage )

should i replace the downpipe first, or not worry about it?

also, this whole thing about bov being bad for the car, is it really? i kinda was going just for the noise itself, and i also heard it helps with the turbo lag... any advice?

thanks...

^^^ replace the dp first. if your just going for the sound then knock yourself out but the bov itself is going to do absolutley nothing but make a sound. its not going to any major damage to your car but its also not going to do it any good.
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

LOL cool thanks!

hello

Quote Originally Posted by JDMbob View Post
    well i just bought a 2003 wrx

i just got a greddy bov that i wanted to install, but just found out i might need a new turbo downpipe, because the one i have is a little dent ( car was salvage )

should i replace the downpipe first, or not worry about it?

also, this whole thing about bov being bad for the car, is it really? i kinda was going just for the noise itself, and i also heard it helps with the turbo lag... any advice?

thanks...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.