"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 689
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by TheJ Merged. You should explore this link....

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    Merged.
    You should explore this link.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dubrx05 View Post
    what is a good afetermaket bov for a wrx that wont make it run rich or anything and wont mess anything up?
    Your question is an oxymoron, kinda like Jumbo shrimp.

Stock BPV is the best, or if you had to have an aftermarket BOV, it would have to be 100% recirculating in order to not run rich, and that just defeats the purpose of wanting the awesome little pshhhh during shifts. And even then, an aftermarket BOV isn't necessary until you are running over 23-24psi of boost. And even then, you will not see that boost safely until you swap turbos.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Arrow BOV For 2004 Impreza WRX Sedan

I baught myself the 2004 Impreza WRX Sedan last month and i was really hoping to put in a BOV just for the sound, im not looking for much more power to add on at the moment. I asked around and a couple of people said that getting a BOV would be pointless...as a did a little more research it is of course NOT necessary at all to have a BOV but im looking for something which will give me a similiar sound. One of my friends said

"So I would not mount a BOV that vents to atmosphere on your car. The thing that people don't know is that all WRX's and STI's have a really efficient cold air intake and a good BOV from the factory that does not need to be changed till you are pushing over 350WHP so I would use the money elsewhere. A good BOV costs a couple hundred dollars and for that money, you could get a good set of springs or a short shifter and a rear sway bar. I guaranty they will make a much bigger difference in the way the car drives and feels in a positive way than a BOV. If you want a little more sound when you shift, try removing the intake scilencer in the fender. It's a little tricky to get to and looks like a big milk jug. It will increase the sound of the BOV and not effect anything negatively."

and another "Don't waste your money on a blow off valve just for the sound. Get an uppipe instead. Instead of buying an intake, check to see if there is an intake silencer in the front fender between the airbox and front inlet tube. Remove this and add a Perrin or K & N panel filter. This will give you more turbo spool noise and is much cheaper than an intake."

Any suggestions? Or advice on how to do this??
    You put a bunch of money into a raggedy ass car, in the end you got yourself an expensive raggedy ass car

Listen to your friends... + 1 on the UP springs rear sway bar and short ****ter
    MY Mods...
    2004 WRX OPB....58k...open source tuned...VF 39 Turbo...Pink 565cc injectors...Walbro FP... Godspeed FMIC...Turbo XS Stealthback Exhaust...Gimmik Turbo Inlet...Gimmik Rad. Hoses...COBB SF Intake...EXedy Lightweight Flywheel...F1 Racing Stage 2 Clutch...Perrin Crank Pulley...Perrin Afta-MAF Hose...HKS Up Pipe...Kartboy Short Shifter and Bushings....lots-o-suspention...

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Wheel hp has nothing to do with the when you need a BoV. You NEVER need a BoV. When you're running over a certan amount boost, you will however need to mod the stock BPV or buy an aftermarket BPV.

A VTA BoV will slow turbo spool, can potentially foul spark plugs, tend to leak, and will only attract positive attention from 14 yr old girls while everyone else rolls their eyes at you as you drive by.

OK your friend is completely right. Do not get a BOV it's pointless especially if your stock. Spend the money elsewhere. BOV's especially a VTA BOV will do nothing but make your car run rich. Spend the money on a new up pipe and a TBE Get your hands on a AccessPort and go from there. And for the silencer delete, lift your car up, Take your right wheel off, take out the plastic caps that keep your plastic wheel well piece off pull back the black plastic and it will be sitting right there its about the size of a milk jug, a little bigger. Unbolt it and wiggle it out and there you go. You will only hear the spool sound inside the car tho not outside.
    02PSMWRX VF39'd STI Killer
    Wingl3ssAlli@nce#27

Quote Originally Posted by gprwrx View Post
    And for the silencer delete, lift your car up, Take your right wheel off, take out the plastic caps that keep your plastic wheel well piece off pull back the black plastic and it will be sitting right there its about the size of a milk jug, a little bigger. Unbolt it and wiggle it out and there you go. You will only hear the spool sound inside the car tho not outside.
    And this is what my friend suggested as well? Semi, the same effects of a BOV? Does it have any negative effects on the car if i remove this "milk jug" I care much more about my cars performance the sound, but my little brother drives everyonce in a while and yes...wants to impress his friends, WITH MY car...
    You put a bunch of money into a raggedy ass car, in the end you got yourself an expensive raggedy ass car

Score!!!

when searching on craigslist i came across a greddy BOV.. i meet up w/ the dude and he doesn't have the adapter.. so instead of $100, i get it for $80.. then changing my mind, i bring it back to him and he says he doesn't need it so i can keep it for $20 and i get $60 back.. I ordered the adapter online and it came to $50 after shipping.. so basically its a $70 bov, sweeet. the only question i have w/ about it though, is it hybrid or full? and can i mod it into hybrid? pic attached.

and my buddy called me and said he knows someone selling a blitz nurspec catback exhaust for $250.. does that sound reasonable? i heard it makes car alarms go off if you really rip on it does that price sound reasonable? anyone have input on these exhausts?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1227081648.jpg  
    Last edited by habitatxskate; 12-27-2008 at 01:54 PM.

Dang that guy is nice! I would've told you final sale, no refunds! (in a nice way of course)

btw Price on the Blitz sounds resonable to be and yes it is loud. If that's what you want then go for it.
    08 STi DGM

Quote Originally Posted by dforce View Post
    Dang that guy is nice! I would've told you final sale, no refunds! (in a nice way of course)

btw Price on the Blitz sounds resonable to be and yes it is loud. If that's what you want then go for it.
    i woulda kicked his ****ing ass.. he said it was ready to bolt on yet it was never on his car.. i think its an ebay special to be honest since it was purple and silver and had zero serial numbers or anything identifying the brand.. i had taken it apart to paint it and everything seems pretty solid.. i attached a pic, its all black now

and he said he got it at straus auto, so i stopped in the nearby one, and was asking for adapters, the guys didn't know what a BOV was, explained it, and i'm pretty sure they were still trying to figure out what a turbo even was (besides the crazy NOS setups in their civics)
    Last edited by habitatxskate; 12-27-2008 at 01:59 PM.

get rid of the bov. and thats a decent pric for the blitz cb but is it in good condition?

my HKS hipower tbe makes car alrams go off. and the blitz is louder then the HKS.
    03 WRB WRX STAGE II
    STi COMING SOON

BUGEYE MAFIA #199

LET ME QUOTE THE LATE COLONEL SANDERS " I'M TO DRUNK TO TASTE THIS CHICKEN . . ."

damnn im kinda afraid, lmao i mean i have tints, you're from nj i see, and well cops just love pulling you over for them.. hmm, i guess if i don't like it i could sell it.. i'll be putting it on at that kids house..

oh, and i never owned a turboed car until now but after staring at the BOV next to my BPV i'm pretty sure i understand how to do it..

obviously mount the adapter to the BOV, then to the wastegate.. disconnect that hose. that hose goes onto the BOV and that means it'll be setup like a hybrid and will recirculate back into the intake.. and the top nut is to adjust when it releases; if it is at too high of an RPM i have to loosen it, and if it lets out too soon i have to tighten it (and would also cause me to stall?) correct me if i'm wrong, but i think i'm pretty close.

Dude your not even close... That's 100% atmosphere it sucks Alot.... I had he same one and it's terrible.... Sell that head lice
    MY Mods...
    2004 WRX OPB....58k...open source tuned...VF 39 Turbo...Pink 565cc injectors...Walbro FP... Godspeed FMIC...Turbo XS Stealthback Exhaust...Gimmik Turbo Inlet...Gimmik Rad. Hoses...COBB SF Intake...EXedy Lightweight Flywheel...F1 Racing Stage 2 Clutch...Perrin Crank Pulley...Perrin Afta-MAF Hose...HKS Up Pipe...Kartboy Short Shifter and Bushings....lots-o-suspention...

w.e. 70 bucks for something to keep me entertained... but instead of saying i'm wrong.. explain it?

dhbamby.. this is a recirculating from what i've been reading..
    Last edited by habitatxskate; 12-27-2008 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubiccube View Post
    And this is what my friend suggested as well? Semi, the same effects of a BOV? Does it have any negative effects on the car if i remove this "milk jug" I care much more about my cars performance the sound, but my little brother drives everyonce in a while and yes...wants to impress his friends, WITH MY car...
    Nope no negative effects. I did this to my car like the 3rd day I bought it. Not one problem since. And PS. I wouldent let my little brother drive my wrx to impress his friends. Bad things happen that way.
    02PSMWRX VF39'd STI Killer
    Wingl3ssAlli@nce#27

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.