"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 684

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; That would be a bloww off valve (aka; BOV). Please explore the lred ink in my signature to learn more ...

I Support ClubWRX
    That would be a bloww off valve (aka; BOV). Please explore the lred ink in my signature to learn more about them.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

M16
    Sweet thanks

M16
    OH so if I add a BOV then it would consume more fuel, damn thats not a good idea, the gas prices are kinda high.

Quote Originally Posted by M16 View Post
    I have seen those WRX's with those loud turbo noises when they change gears, and was wondering what mods would make my turbo sound like that, or do i just need a bigger turbo?
    it was the driver farting coz the clutch was too stiff.

just kidding

yeah, that's BOV. its used to get attention and unwanted engine problems down the line. the kid inside me wants me to have one coz of the "pppssshhh". but i'd rather be more mature and logical about it.

besides, if i really want a cool noise, a loud exhaust should amplify the boxer sound. lol.

if i were you, i'd spend the money somewhere else... like a bottle of hennessy.

M16
    Damn im 17, so i guess id just save up the money for like an SPT exhaust

BOV question

how do u know when ur BOV is adjusted right? i have a greddy one n i can adjust it to harder or softer.....

Quote Originally Posted by 04chrisWRX View Post
    how do u know when ur BOV is adjusted right? i have a greddy one n i can adjust it to harder or softer.....
    Well I hope it is a Recirculating BOV as if it is venting to the atmosphere that is very bad for the engine unless tuned for.

As for adjusting it...in my experience (I have a perrin Recirculating BOV) I just play around with it harder or softer and see which way the engine likes it best (keeping a close eye on my A/F ratio and how the car feels) and go from there.

But, if you have no experience with it I suggest taking it to a tuner or going back to the stock BPV.

Read this: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ov-thread.html

Also, are you running any form of engine management? and what part of FL are you at?
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 10-17-2008 at 07:39 AM.

nah not yet i wanna get the cobb ecu eventually. idk to much about cars but at the same time im not in the dark bout it. but my bov makes the psshhh noise sooo idk if that means its recirculating or not........ i live in naples..wbu?

Quote Originally Posted by c2bcoolwrx View Post
    Well I hope it is a Recirculating BOV as if it is venting to the atmosphere that is very bad for the engine unless tuned for.

As for adjusting it...in my experience (I have a perrin Recirculating BOV) I just play around with it harder or softer and see which way the engine likes it best (keeping a close eye on my A/F ratio and how the car feels) and go from there.

But, if you have no experience with it I suggest taking it to a tuner or going back to the stock BPV.

Read this: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ov-thread.html

Also, are you running any form of engine management? and what part of FL are you at?

100$ atomospheric
    MY Mods...
    2004 WRX OPB....58k...open source tuned...VF 39 Turbo...Pink 565cc injectors...Walbro FP... Godspeed FMIC...Turbo XS Stealthback Exhaust...Gimmik Turbo Inlet...Gimmik Rad. Hoses...COBB SF Intake...EXedy Lightweight Flywheel...F1 Racing Stage 2 Clutch...Perrin Crank Pulley...Perrin Afta-MAF Hose...HKS Up Pipe...Kartboy Short Shifter and Bushings....lots-o-suspention...

Quote Originally Posted by 04chrisWRX View Post
    nah not yet i wanna get the cobb ecu eventually. idk to much about cars but at the same time im not in the dark bout it. but my bov makes the psshhh noise sooo idk if that means its recirculating or not........ i live in naples..wbu?
    How loud is the noise?...b/c most likely its VTA (venting to the Atmosphere) and that is bad. Whats the Model number of your Greddy BOV (does it have that metal tube that recirculates back?)

Does it look like this: GReddy Type RS Recirculating BOV Kit for 02-07 WRX & 04-09 STi, WRX Blow off Valve from JSC Speed

You should get some EM before any serious mods such as Downpipe or Uppipe.

I live in Cooper City/Ft. Lauderdale.

Also, I noticed from your profile you have a Cold Air Intake/CAI. That is also bad with out tuning/EM as it will cause you to run lean. You are probably running way lean and that can and will hurt your engine. You either need to get tuned for the CAI and BOV or better yet put back on the stock airbox and BPV.

WRXs are not like a POS civic which you can just put on a CAI and run with it. Due to the compression and sensitivity of our turbo engines the A/F can really be thrown off by a VTA BOV and CAIs.

PLEASE READ: Engine Performance FAQ [[[READ ME]]]

and: Unabomber's Manifesto - NASIOC
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 10-17-2008 at 08:19 AM.

Question bov`s?

im tryn to figure out which bov would be right for my car ive got an 02 wrx with a top mount intercooler. if you have the same setup let me know which one would be best for me. and about how much should it be for installation and parts?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    your stock BPV is fine.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ov-thread.html

read
    enjoy
    soak up the information
    keep your car happy.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    your stock BPV is fine.
    +1

you'll probably loose performance as well

Clarksville TN, about 30 mins from Nashville.

TurboXS BOV vs. HKS SSQV BOV

I would just like to get some opinions and some Info. about which of these two BOV's is the better one, what are each of there down falls, and perks as well.

DUB