"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 683

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; its 50/50.... has a small piston inside of it which has to have a certain amount of boost to open ...

its 50/50.... has a small piston inside of it which has to have a certain amount of boost to open it up and allow air to blow out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STi-Guy85 View Post
    but, performance-wise, it reduces boost lag like crazy...
    Any hard data to back that up or are you just going by your butt dyno?Read the BOV link in my sigature.......
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

nah theres nothing to really back it up....its a "feel" thing... haha

anyone know where i can buy a recirculation kit for a HKS ssqv my 02 wrx.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've posted this before..

go to google, and input 'hks ssq bov recirculation kit', and viola!

Here, I'll do the hard work for you

HKS SSQ BOV Recirculation Kit :: Universal Blow Off Valve Accessories :: Blow Off Valve :: Turbo Wholesale Distribution
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    I've posted this before..

go to google, and input 'hks ssq bov recirculation kit', and viola!
    Viola?

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens dont wear hats" -Ying

now i understand that when you put on a atmo. bov in can cause you to run rich between shifts. now i live about a mile up,,,,will i even notice that cause the the extra fuel will make up for the lower oxygen?

Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon89 View Post
    now i understand that when you put on a atmo. bov in can cause you to run rich between shifts. now i live about a mile up,,,,will i even notice that cause the the extra fuel will make up for the lower oxygen?
    This might actually be the first legit good question I have ever heard having to do with BOVs

Sadly...I am stumped and don't have an answer for you really on this one. I imagine that its still pretty similar for cars in your area as it is for the lower lying areas though...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens dont wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon89 View Post
    how does extra fuel make up for less oxygen? wouldn't that make it "more" rich?
    Rogan o_0

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Viola?

voil (vw-l')

interj.
    Used to call attention to or express satisfaction with a thing shown or accomplished: Mix the ingredients, chill, andvoil!a light, tasty dessert.
    Rogan o_0

see when you cant supply enough fuel for the amount of oxygen
    in the combustion chamber you will run lean and very hot. this could cause cylinder head damage and many other problems. when you run to rich you have to much fuel in the chamber. this is usally set on purpose at high boost levels to protect the motor. well because of my elevation i have less oxygen. i belive it 3% for every 1000ft. im not postive on that so you can correct me. but because i have less onygen the extra fuel will help cool the motor down and might get it close to running normal or at sea level.

I Support ClubWRX
    Or because your already running factory ECU programming or a conservative tune the extra fuel from the BOV is causing "cylinder wash" and you are causing more harm than good.Too much fuel washes the oil away on the cylinder bores and ends up in the crankcase contaminating the rest of your oil.TONS of people have notice the smell of fuel when changing there oil.Plus the factory programing does have altitude compensation to some degree.More so for boost control but there is:
    *front oxygen sensor scaling compensation (closedloop)
    *CL/OL delay compensation atmospheric threshold
    *wastegate duty cycle compensation atmosheric

Less dense air = less oxygen molecules = running much richer at WOT/Openloop
    Last edited by Donkey; 10-08-2008 at 08:31 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    voil (vw-l')

interj.
    Used to call attention to or express satisfaction with a thing shown or accomplished: Mix the ingredients, chill, andvoil!a light, tasty dessert.
    yes I know Rick...I was just being my usual jackass self

For everyone out there thinking about getting a bov for there subi dont do it, its not worth it. I just bought my 02 wrx and I just replaced my turbosmart adjustable bov with the stock bypass instant 3+ mpg!! It did take about 20 mins to get used not hearing it, but I would rather have preformance then the potiental puss from the hookers on the side of the road...
    **subarublue**

M16

Noob Q!!

I have seen those WRX's with those loud turbo noises when they change gears, and was wondering what mods would make my turbo sound like that, or do i just need a bigger turbo?