"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 682
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; the rfl bov do you guys think thats a good one?...

?

the rfl bov do you guys think thats a good one?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPimpin15 View Post
    the rfl bov do you guys think thats a good one?
    1) To my knowledge there are many manufactures that make an "RFL" blow off valve... Take your pick.

2) RFL generally stands for Really F'ing Loud. If people like a really friggin loud bov then yes, they will like it. Others will think it's ricey and annoying.

3) RFL BOVs will vent 100% to the atmosphere. Any BOV that vents to the atmosphere will give you issues that can not be simply tuned away.

4) A BOV won't give you any issues if it is a 100% recirculating model (like the stock bypass valve) but then you won't get any extra noise. So you have to decide how bad do you want the psssshht sound.

5) PLEASE read the links I provided previously.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Safe BOV?

Hey i just got a 2004 WRX and i love it. it has a turbo-back exhaust and some other good stuff. nothing too major but i was wondering if there is a BOV that is safe for WRXs and doesn't mess with the system and get it messed up.
    I don't know how to install them or what brands there are i've just heard its dangerous in the WRXs, given all air and pressure is supposed to be accounted for. So any body that has any info i'd love to hear from ya...

somebody its gonna say it so why not me...

USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

05 White Ghost...

Quote Originally Posted by sorrowfulkiller View Post
    Nitrous, it's like a hot ass girl with std's you know that you wanna hit it but your afraid of the consequences.

the safest BOV is the stock BOV...technically it's a BPV
    B.M.S #135 FTW!!

What about the aps 50/50?
    06 WRX VF39ED
    Wingl3ss @lliance #20
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by oriol View Post
    somebody its gonna say it so why not me...
    USE THE SEARCH BUTTON
    Let's make sure we are being helpful to new members. Just telling someone to search is not really being helpful.

OP, I assume you want a bov for the sound (one that vents to the atmospere rather then recirculates, like a stock by pass valve). However, there are no BOVs that I know of that will give you the sound (vent to thevatmosphere) that will not present a least some issues.

Please take some time to explore the links in my signature.
    -The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

Quote Originally Posted by 06hawkman View Post
    What about the aps 50/50?
    Use the search please........

The three best valves you can get are:
    1. Stock
    2. OEM
    3. Subaru
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Ok thanks, fair enough.

dude i have searched a billion threads. i have the stock unit because it is the best. but wouldn't the aps one prevent the problem for the most part and give you a good sound also?
    06 WRX VF39ED
    Wingl3ss @lliance #20
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #128

The problem occurs when air that the ECU is expecting is diverted away from the engine and to atmosphere. The "BOV" sound you hear is the sound of the air being diverted to atmosphere.

A 50/50 BOV is better than a 100% Atmospheric BOV because a measure of the air is passed back to the intake tract, however, this does not change the fact that the amount of fuel being provided by the ECU is still "rich" as compared to the air entering the engine.

There are tuning solutions that will allow you to have a BOV, do some research and you will find the options available. Most WRX owners turn their nose up at BOV's because we know the reasons they aren't considered a "worthwhile mod". A BPV with a short ram intake will yield some of the turbo noise that most "OMGiCANhasTURBO" people are looking to hear.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Micah View Post
    A BPV with a short ram intake will yield some of the turbo noise that most "OMGiCANhasTURBO" people are looking to hear.
    It's more than that, IMO. It's a desire to be loud, pure and simple. I have the stock BPV, but with an uppipe and downpipe it's clear (to gearheads) that I have a turbo from the spool-up whistle and the BPV sound.

Not that I care. I didn't buy/mod my car to show off, but to enjoy the driving experience. Honestly, some loud "OMG!PSHHH!!!" sound every time I shift would be amusing for about 2 days, and then begin to grate on my nerves.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    It's more than that, IMO. It's a desire to be loud, pure and simple. I have the stock BPV, but with an uppipe and downpipe it's clear (to gearheads) that I have a turbo from the spool-up whistle and the BPV sound.
    It is that sound that I enjoy more than any kind of blow off sound...the constant woosh and whistle that sound like a ton of air just being inhaled by an engine...that sounds awesome and like worthwhile performance to me
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

hawkman i have the aps bov... it is awesome, but if you are looking for that loud whooshing sound, its not for you.... while traveling through the gears agressively, you get no sound at all... you pretty much have to be balls to the wall to get any atmospheric venting from this thing.... but, performance-wise, it reduces boost lag like crazy... the car gets into the boost much faster after changing gears... a noticable difference... i tried the hks ssqv on my car, and it sucked... the car ran so inconsistantly.... sometimes it ran very strong, and sometimes just seemed like it didn't want to go b/c it was running so rich and bogging down.... bottom line, ***** that noisy sh*t, protect your car..

hey has any one run thegfb hybrid or stealth one. also sti-guy85 which aps bov do you have? is it a bpy or bov? thanks shawn

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.