"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 676

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So i have been reading about 20 pages of the BOV thread.... getting mixed reviews but that happens everywhere.. So ...

1clean02_rex

need your guys opinion...

So i have been reading about 20 pages of the BOV thread.... getting mixed reviews but that happens everywhere.. So i'm guilty of buying a ebay bov, lol.. i know.. So i have been reading on how "Forge" is a great brand.. So i looked them up and found this....

**Subaru Impreza V5 Piston Ram Closed Loop Dump Valve (Flange Mounted)**

But what is the difference verse the stock BPV? Please all help will be great....

PS.. the stock BPV is back on too guys.. learned my lesson 1 day of driving on the ebay BOV... low idle and CEL....!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 1clean02_rex View Post
    So i have been reading about 20 pages of the BOV thread.... getting mixed reviews but that happens everywhere.. So i'm guilty of buying a ebay bov, lol.. i know.. So i have been reading on how "Forge" is a great brand.. So i looked them up and found this....

**Subaru Impreza V5 Piston Ram Closed Loop Dump Valve (Flange Mounted)**

But what is the difference verse the stock BPV? Please all help will be great....

PS.. the stock BPV is back on too guys.. learned my lesson 1 day of driving on the ebay BOV... low idle and CEL....!!
    At least you read some previous pages...so I'm pretty impressed and you've also listened to the good advice, so I'm further impressed

I know Forge does make quality pieces...but I'm not too sure of that particular one. But if it is recirculating, then it does nothing different than the stock BPV, other than probably having the ability of holding more boost. In that case, it isn't necessary to have something aftermarket unless you are running over 20psi's, which usually isn't attainable without a turbo swap of some sort.

If you'd like more info...check the link in my sig
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

The right BOV?

Hey Everyone,

I tried a search before I posted this, but i ran into some issues fully loading it. (I'm in the military, currently on deployment, internet is not flexible out in the ocean, lol) I got a WRX not too long ago and I want to get a good blow off valve, no cheap crap.

I want something good enough to hear, but nothing like that Turbo XS RFL that cops could probably here 3 miles away, lol. I heard a audio clip and it sounded nice, I just believe "too loud" is a understatement, might be a little much for what I want.

I'm basically just looking for BOV that puts out a decent sound, not really quite, and is also 50/50, I've heard problems with running too rich with 100% going out, plus only the really loud ones are 100 right? please correct me if I'm wrong. It's a bit hard trying to do research with the way my internet is sometimes.

off the topic, but any cold air intake's you would recommend as well?

Thanks,
    David
    Last edited by dlwn64_88; 07-30-2008 at 05:04 PM.

The best BOV is the stock one.
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ov-thread.html

As for intakes Cobb and SPT are the ones to get . However, they really don't do much, other than make the engine louder.

Money is better spent on Tuning the Computer, and Exhaust parts.

Ill sell you my GFB bov. Its blue and 50/50 and sounds good, and works well. 150.
    Bugeye Mafia #185
    Blobeye Syndicate #38
    San Remo Alliance............#002

Quote Originally Posted by c00lbeans View Post
    Ill sell you my GFB bov. Its blue and 50/50 and sounds good, and works well. 150.
    I sent you a message. Check it out.

Thanks

i will tell you what.. i have that turboxs blow off valve and i love the thing to death.. i really dont think it is that loud as long as you adjust it right. mine doesnt go off unless i get on it. i wish it was actually louder

HKS SSQV is my favorite personally. Its loud and got a great sound. If not go with the turboxs bov, i had that before its still a nice bov.

Ibt

Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by Az subie View Post
    HKS SSQV is my favorite personally. Its loud and got a great sound. If not go with the turboxs bov, i had that before its still a nice bov.

I'm trying to figure out why HKS and some of these other BOV companies don't even let you order the BOV from their own website, that doesn't make any sense, that's just lowering the ammount they can sell and making things harder.

I've had my WRX for a few months already, I know a good ammount about it, but it'd be easier to buy a BOV that's a bolt on. I'm reading stuff on that you have to weld the HKS bov on the wrx or something? Sorry I'm kind of new to this BOV thing, just need some help getting up to speed. Trying to make things easy as possible.

Thanks

Forge bpv, crush stocker, or synapse bov?

I'm getting retuned for an external gate, and equal length headers. It may be time to upgrade the stock bpv as I'm hitting 23 and 25 psi on pump and 100 octane currently and may up the boost more with this new tune. Havent had issues with the bpv, but it may be a good idea to get one before this upcoming tune. Whats my options and which is best?
    05 STi for sale, 400hp, 50k miles, only 17k

Bill,

when I had my Evo I had the forge bpv. I had it set at 24lb of boost, no leakage. Forge makes good product, no drivability issues.
    04 Blobeye wagon
    AFE Filter, ebay catback.
    03 RR Evo sold

HKS recirculationkit or a bypass?

I was wondering, I just bought myself a 07 WRX and it had a HKS BOV on it when I bought it. Question is, I don't want to ruin my car with atmospheric bov so it runs rich and stuff. Now, should I buy a recirculation kit for it or a bypass? Whats the different? With a recirculation kit on it, it wont run rich right?

Thanks / Tim

Correct. The HKS bov with the recirc kit will function just like a bypass valve...however if you can pick up a stock unit, that would be for the best. You can get a stock wrx bypass valve on the cheap and sell the HKS unit to somebody who wants to make some noise for a profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffbmx00 View Post
    nah i dont have a problem with spelling, i just play a lot of world of warcraft and thats how people type in that game.

More questions

So with the aftermarket BOV and a recirc kit, will there be more noise (cuz its sounds good) or will the recirc tubing totally muffle the sound? There by totally mitigating any difference between the two.
    ALSO... someone told me once that there is some kind of sound dampening material in the stock recirc tubing, True?