"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 672

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Feezor If sound is all you want then why not just do the intake silencer delete? +1...

Admin - Scooby Hooligan

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Feezor View Post
    If sound is all you want then why not just do the intake silencer delete?
    +1
    ScoobyDMC #000,HawkEyeAlliance#000,Blobeye Syndicate #000, SQC-NY #009, "Dragon Slayer"
    "All We'll Drive"

I <3 boobies: rallyarmor/keepabreast/mud flaps limited edition

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Unhappy hks help please

ok so i got an hks ssqv kit for my 08wrx hatch i put it on blocked the hose with the plug and my car was fine then all of the sudden when i was driving it home it died but i restarted it??then i tried to figure out out how to run the recirc and now im really confused someone please help me out

I Support ClubWRX
    punctuation is your friend. use your friend.

HKS has a 'nipple' that can be purchased, that fits in the end of the BOV. install that, and connect it to the recirc hose.

took me 2 secs to google it.

HKS USA SSQV Recirculation Kit
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Quote Originally Posted by Feezor View Post
    If sound is all you want then why not just do the intake silencer delete?

What is the intake silencer delete?

I Support ClubWRX
    it's the piece inside the pass. fender, behind the bumper. I 'think' it's got one or two 10mm nuts that hold this huge plastic 'silencer' in place. it mates the airbox inlet to the front plastic scoop that bolts to the core support, and goes over to the pass. inner fender panel..
    Rogan o_0

ok we all know that bov r bad. so how come its ok to install tham after 20 psi?

so many people don't understand why BOV's are bad

Quote Originally Posted by leonwrx13 View Post
    ok we all know that bov r bad. so how come its ok to install tham after 20 psi?
    it's not - that's a misconception

The stock BPV is able to hold 20psi. After that, you'd want to either "crush-mod" the stock BPV or replace it with an aftermarket unit that can hold more pressure.

Our cars are tuned via MAF - and this doesn't work well with a BOV that vents to atmosphere as fuel is provided for air that isn't there. Air goes out, fuel goes in and mixes with the oil on the cylinder walls, stripping the oil off them and getting blown out in the exhaust stroke. Car stutters for a moment as cylinder friction and temps increase.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    it's not that it's "ok", it that the stock BPV doesn't flow enough, beyond 20. IOW, there's no real need for a BOV, up to 20psi.
    Rogan o_0

More boost w/ BOV!?!

So I bought a cheap BOV off ebay a while ago I installed it and bought a boost gauge a few weeks later. Well, today I put the stock bypass valve back on, realizing there is no reason for the BOV. With the BOV, I would get about 14 psi WOT in 2nd and 3rd and get there fairly quickly, but then drop a little. Well with the bypass valve back in, I'm only getting to about 12 psi (same conditions) and not as fast. All my connections are ok and there are no leaks? When i had both valves out, I checked the spring tension on both valves. The BOV was much easier to push in, so I figured it was bleeding off boost causing that little drop in pressure. IS it possible the gauge is wrong, and the BOV is causing more boost, and the stock valve is right? Should i keep running the BOV? Any input would be appreciated.
    Bugeye Mafia Member #177
    New England F4
    VF43'd by Wicked Innovation

Facebook

I Support ClubWRX
    The BOV is not the wastegate...dont confuse the two.

I'd double check your connections.
    0-60 faster then your first sexual experience.
    "You've come far, and though you're far from the end
    You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been"

Quote Originally Posted by 302@12psi View Post
    The BOV is not the wastegate...dont confuse the two..
    I am aware of that. But why then are the 2 showing completely different levels of boost? And furthermore, why is the cheap BOV showing better boost results?

I'd double check your connections.
    I will double check int the morning, but as far as I could tell everything was ok...
    Bugeye Mafia Member #177
    New England F4
    VF43'd by Wicked Innovation

Facebook

I have an ssqv BOV and my car keeps dying after i get on it, is there any way to fix it so it will not die?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    yes. put your stock bypass valve back on

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by DVSWReX View Post
    So I bought a cheap BOV off ebay a while ago I installed it and bought a boost gauge a few weeks later. Well, today I put the stock bypass valve back on, realizing there is no reason for the BOV. With the BOV, I would get about 14 psi WOT in 2nd and 3rd and get there fairly quickly, but then drop a little. Well with the bypass valve back in, I'm only getting to about 12 psi (same conditions) and not as fast. All my connections are ok and there are no leaks? When i had both valves out, I checked the spring tension on both valves. The BOV was much easier to push in, so I figured it was bleeding off boost causing that little drop in pressure. IS it possible the gauge is wrong, and the BOV is causing more boost, and the stock valve is right? Should i keep running the BOV? Any input would be appreciated.
    The consesus is 50/50 that the stock BPV leaks even @ PSI's less than 20. In theory the stock BPV is good up to 20psi but other people have noted that their BPV leaks @ less than 20psi.

If you have a leaky BPV and you install an aftermarket BPV (I wouldn't touch a BOV since you need to retune the car for those) then your system will be able to hold in PSI better and you will get more boost as you are seeing in your experiment.

The "stiffness" of the spring merely affects the responiveness of the BPV/BOV. I don't know what sort you have but if you look at your stock BPV there is a little hose that plugs into the top and what that hose does is to pressurive the top half of the BPV to the same pressure as the intake manifold past the throttle body. Then the other half of the BPV is pressurized underneath by the TMIC. Therefore both halves are at the same PSI and the spring retains the pressure in the system.

In theory it should not matter how stiff that spring is since both halves of the BPV are at the same PSI and the spring tips the balance of this equation to holding in pressure. The spring constant or "stiffness" merely affects the responsiveness of the BPV.... i.e. do you want the BPV to activate under lighter or heavier throttle inputs. Its safer to have the spring lightly loaded rather than heavier if you are unsure.

I'd throw that BOV you have away along with the stock BPV and buy a good aftermarket BPV. I myself just picked up a TurboXS BPV that I'm going to install this weekend. Hopefully it will help my boost a little bit and allow me to finally hit 17PSI which I should be seeing on my Perrin Stg1. Either way I suspect I'll need it once I install my new turboback and go Stg2.
    Last edited by Flanker; 07-14-2008 at 11:53 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    yes. Put your stock bypass valve back on
    +1k
    Rogan o_0