"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 669

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Oh and I forgot, when you get your fmic, your pipe for the cai is gonna be right above your ...

Oh and I forgot, when you get your fmic, your pipe for the cai is gonna be right above your turbo, when the heat touches the pipe, it won't be cold anymore.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_kwon89 View Post
    BOV?
    Think you should wait untill you get bigger numbers.
    Like say If you're running over 20psi then get an atmospheric bov but if you want that woshhhh sound realy bad then get like a 50/50 bov but I don't recomend it.
    And whats the point when you get a fmic? your hood scoop won't be any use.
    And you know why the evo's keep screwing up? cause of the fmic, bugs, rocks etc. gonna fly in to your intercooler and ruin it (remember it's aluminium not metal) then you gotta get a new but I do have to say it looks nice.

You have got to be kidding me? I am sorry, but a fmic is not going to ruin anything. I have had one for over three years and it is fine. Since when is aluminum not a metal? Guess what? Your engine is made out of aluminum. That hood that you slam shut is made out of what? Aluminum. It is a metal, not paper.

And as far as the turbo heating up the ic pipes, the air is moving through the pipe so fast it doesn't have time to heat up.
    The reason people get an fmic anyway is because the stock intercooler is parked where? You guessed it, right on top of the turbo.

For the OP: If you do decide to get an fmic, check to see if you have to get a flange welded onto it or if it has one already. some kits have no flange. You would have to supply a bov and flange and take it to a shop and get it welded on.
    Last edited by rickyh; 07-01-2008 at 10:52 PM.

(remember it's aluminium not metal)

Oh and I forgot, when you get your fmic, your pipe for the cai is gonna be right above your turbo, when the heat touches the pipe, it won't be cold anymore.
    i dont get it....how will he CAI be right above the turbo.

for OP, i've seen a crushed stock BOV handle up to about 22psi so you shouldn't need to upgrade for an 18g.
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE #524
    "Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away"

He is possibly talking about the return pipe on the cold side of the fmic.

my understanding is that due to the location of the FMIC, it brings in cooler air and brings it in faster than the TMIC which would result in better performance. Is this wrong?
    Last edited by joekerr59; 07-02-2008 at 01:05 PM.

It will bring in cooler air, but it will induce some lag due to the large amount of piping involved. You will hear people say anywhere from 200-1000rpms. I can testify that my generic ebay fmic created minimal lag.

Which 18g and fmic are you considering?

$0.02

I'd sooner put a meth injection kit on the car instead of a FMIC to drop intake temps.

That being said, I have a TMIC from a 2006 STI and it has worked fine so far. Though on really hot days, and most of the summer I drive my 350z instead of my WRX. An Aquamist kit(and another protune) will likely be the next performance mod on my car.

I personally don't like FMIC since they are very likely to be damaged in even a small accident. Hell any j/o can kick a FMIC while walking by a car in a parking lot. Like most of us, I don't insure my mods, so I'd rather not pay for it twice. A large TMIC such as Spearco/Perrin/APS should be fine for most people. If you really want to drop intake temps, look into an Aquamist kit.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by joekerr59 View Post
    my understanding is that due to the location of the FMIC, it brings in cooler air and brings it in faster than the TMIC which would result in better performance. Is this wrong?
    Cooler - yes
    Faster - no

TMIC has much less piping involved, and thus a shorter path for the air to follow. Cooler air is more dense though, and that's really more important.

Oh, and REGARDLESS of how much boost you are running - A BOV WILL CAUSE ISSUES. The only way to avoid those issues is to change the car over from MAF based to MAP based. There's a link in my sig that links to a PM discussion going over this.
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."

the turbo Im thinking about is an FP 18G TD06SL2-7cm2. I would pair it with either a TXS front or top mount intercooler.

WOA WOA WOA!!!!!Cool down everyone!!Jesus! I heard it from one of the guy from harmanmotive thats all so I thought I would pass the suggestion around Damn!! common now....I didn't sucker punch anybody here and you guys are freaking out.If I'm wrong I'm wrong If I'm right I'm right.You guys don't have to give an attitude to me like I'm some retarded ****er.

Man...I'm outta here

no worries man... it's my thread and I appreciate all opinions, right or wrong, Im not a retard either and I can decide for myself after hearing all sides.... anyways, the BOV question is mainly because Forced Performance recomends using this turbo at at least 20psi as do most for the 18g and I have read that the BOV is pointless unless you are running over 20psi. Ive sent a message to PDX who will be making a new map for me to use to see what they recomend but any other opinions are welcome. Also, still undecided on the intercooler... I would like minimal lag but if it will make a significant power difference, I might still go with the FMI. Is there a big difference between the TXS TMI and an STI TMI?
    Last edited by joekerr59; 07-03-2008 at 01:46 PM.

WOA WOA WOA!!!!!Cool down everyone!!Jesus! I heard it from one of the guy from harmanmotive thats all so I thought I would pass the suggestion around Damn!! common now....I didn't sucker punch anybody here and you guys are freaking out.If I'm wrong I'm wrong If I'm right I'm right.You guys don't have to give an attitude to me like I'm some retarded ****er.

Man...I'm outta here
    if you were referring to my comment then sorry. it was just a slight question that i was confused on. once again i am sorry.
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE #524
    "Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away"

no worries man... it's my thread and I appreciate all opinions, right or wrong, Im not a retard either and I can decide for myself after hearing all sides.... anyways, the BOV question is mainly because Forced Performance recomends using this turbo at at least 20psi as do most for the 18g and I have read that the BOV is pointless unless you are running over 20psi. Ive sent a message to PDX who will be making a new map for me to use to see what they recomend but any other opinions are welcome. Also, still undecided on the intercooler... I would like minimal lag but if it will make a significant power difference, I might still go with the FMI. Is there a big difference between the TXS TMI and an STI TMI?
    i dont know if you would notice any difference from the STi TMIC vs the TXS TMIC. the TXS core size is a bit larger at 19"x8"x4.5" vs STi TMIC at 19"x7"x3.5".
    BLOBEYE SYNDICATE #524

Go with a BPV instead of a BOV. And I'd be very wary of any shop that recommends using a BOV while the car is still tuned based on the MAF. At the very least I would hope they would mention the stuttering and stalling. If they were really forthcoming then they would also tell you about increased cylinder temps/friction due to oil consumption.

Don't half-ass it, if you want to put a BOV on the car, have the car tuned with MAP instead of MAF.