"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 668

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just dump the BOV and go back to the stock BPV. /thread....

  1. #10006
    Registered User teflon_jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    8000' up in Colorado
    Posts
    6,753
    Just dump the BOV and go back to the stock BPV.

    /thread.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #10007
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PA, Harrisburg area
    Posts
    95
    also every time im on the throttle n let off, the car jurks, and when i step back on it, it jerks again. can this be some how related?

  4. #10008
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PA, Harrisburg area
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Death To Ricers View Post
    You know about 1/234,843,764,101 of what testes knows about cars.

    Oh and *Pssssst* Catalitic Converters are located underneath your car
    thanks for ur 5 cents, but there is 3 of tham

  5. #10009
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    3,733
    Quote Originally Posted by leonwrx13 View Post
    also every time im on the throttle n let off, the car jurks, and when i step back on it, it jerks again. can this be some how related?
    that is more than likely related to the BOV.

    the only cat that will cause a cat inefficiency code is the 3rd one(the one in the midpipe). Many people gut the cats instead of buying aftermarket exhaust, not saying your's are done this way but there is a chance.
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

  6. #10010
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PA, Harrisburg area
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by testes1010 View Post
    that is more than likely related to the BOV. why do u say that?
    why u say its related n does anyonce alse car does this?


    Quote Originally Posted by testes1010 View Post
    the only cat that will cause a cat inefficiency code is the 3rd one(the one in the midpipe). Many people gut the cats instead of buying aftermarket exhaust, not saying your's are done this way but there is a chance

    i dont think it is because the car is not even that loud. plus the guy i bought it from wanted to do TDE too.

  7. #10011
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    3,733
    Quote Originally Posted by leonwrx13 View Post
    why u say its related n does anyonce alse car does this?
    As you've learned a BOV can cause rich conditions when letting off. Here's why, when letting off/shifting the BOV opens releasing MAF-metered air to atmosphere, the ecu has already added fuel for this air that is being released to atmosphere, the ecu was expecting the air to be recirc'd back to the inlet for consumption but instead it was released to atmosphere so you get a rich condition. Rich conditions can cause the car to buck, it can cause poor off to on throttle transitions, it can cause poor idle, etc.

    I suggest picking up a stock BPV from Ebay or the For sale section here or NASIOC for $20-25. You'll notice a great improvement in overall drivability of the car, specially when letting off & shifting.
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

  8. #10012
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PA, Harrisburg area
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by testes1010 View Post
    As you've learned a BOV can cause rich conditions when letting off. Here's why, when letting off/shifting the BOV opens releasing MAF-metered air to atmosphere, the ecu has already added fuel for this air that is being released to atmosphere, the ecu was expecting the air to be recirc'd back to the inlet for consumption but instead it was released to atmosphere so you get a rich condition. Rich conditions can cause the car to buck, it can cause poor off to on throttle transitions, it can cause poor idle, etc.

    I suggest picking up a stock BPV from Ebay or the For sale section here or NASIOC for $20-25. You'll notice a great improvement in overall drivability of the car, specially when letting off & shifting.
    oh ok, thank for ur help. n i think i will change the bov to a bpv for now untill i get it boosted higher n than use one lol

  9. #10013

  10. #10014
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PA, Harrisburg area
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Timdog1650 View Post
    Verb tense > leonwrx13
    ha?

  11. #10015
    Registered User JMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    335
    Wow...

    I just don't even know what to say...

    leonwrx13 - ditch the BOV and go stock BPV... Read the BOV posts and the BIG BOV THREAD. Also, you are correct that there are 3 Cats on your car; one in the UP-pipe, one in the DOWN-pipe, and the 3rd in the MID-pipe. You may be able to see the cat in the UP and DOWN pipes, but the MID pipe is under the cabin, so you cannot see all 3 from in the engine bay.

    Death To Ricers - he and you are both correct

    Back to the OP, just listen when you ask a question. Most of the people on this Board know ALOT about what they speak of. If you didn't like the answers that some gave, don't ask the question, it is a public board.

    OH... and being sarcastic isn't the best way to start in ANY forum...
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Winston Churchill

    Ah, the patter of little feet around the house. There's nothing like having a midget for a butler.

    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
    - W.C. Fields

  12. #10016
    Registered User joekerr59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    59

    18g swap, BOV?

    I have an 02 WRX and am about to upgrade to an 18g. So far Im planning on getting a FMI, 650cc injectors, and fuel pump. Im already at COBB stage 2 with full exhaust. Is there anything I might be forgeting? Ive already decided against a BOV.
    Last edited by joekerr59; 07-01-2008 at 08:12 PM.

  13. #10017
    Registered User Micah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ocean Grove, NJ
    Posts
    4,142
    Quote Originally Posted by joekerr59 View Post
    I have an 02 WRX and am about to upgrade to an 18g. So far Im planning on getting a FMI, 650cc injectors, and fuel pump. Im already at COBB stage 2 with full exhaust. Is there anything I might be forgeting? Ive already decided against a BOV.
    What mods are currently on the car? As long as you have an uppipe, you should be ok.... right up until the trans goes boom.
    Last edited by Micah; 07-01-2008 at 08:25 PM.
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

  14. #10018
    Registered User joekerr59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Chattanooga
    Posts
    59
    TXS exhaust, uppipe & downpipe, lightweight flywheel, and COBB AP V2 w/ a PDX map.

  15. #10019
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    24
    BOV?
    Think you should wait untill you get bigger numbers.
    Like say If you're running over 20psi then get an atmospheric bov but if you want that woshhhh sound realy bad then get like a 50/50 bov but I don't recomend it.
    And whats the point when you get a fmic? your hood scoop won't be any use.
    And you know why the evo's keep screwing up? cause of the fmic, bugs, rocks etc. gonna fly in to your intercooler and ruin it (remember it's aluminium not metal) then you gotta get a new but I do have to say it looks nice.

  16. #10020
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    24
    Tune it first and see the numbers and if the bov is leaking or causing any problems then thats your Q

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •