"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 667
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ahhhh thanks for clearing that all up. Screw getting that cat delete pipe and new rims, I need to start ...

Ahhhh thanks for clearing that all up. Screw getting that cat delete pipe and new rims, I need to start boosting 30 psi! itz mad tyte yo!

My g/f doesn't like my car anyways. It's not "cute" enough. She likes the 350z, tt, solstice, and (suprisingly) the saturn sky. They're more, and I quote, "woosh and less blah."

O well, she likes to ride on the motorcycle so I guess I'll put up with her.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    do you also like releasing air into the atmosphere thats already been metered and making your ECU inject the wrong amount of fuel into your cylinders?
    Yes. Without question, yes. Nothing makes me happier, in fact.

It's almost like inhaling, but instead of going into your lungs half or all of it gets diverted back out of you. No matter how hard you try breathing, you can't seem to get enough air. You eventually die.

Now, change "your lungs" to "engine" and "you" to "your engine." You wouldn't like not being able to breathe, so why would you make it so something else couldn't breathe properly.

(And yes, I realize the grammar isnt perfect.)

Quote Originally Posted by WRXDrummer View Post
    It's almost like inhaling, but instead of going into your lungs half or all of it gets diverted back out of you. No matter how hard you try breathing, you can't seem to get enough air. You eventually die.

Now, change "your lungs" to "engine" and "you" to "your engine." You wouldn't like not being able to breathe, so why would you make it so something else couldn't breathe properly.

(And yes, I realize the grammar isnt perfect.)
    Cliff Notes: BOV's make you fart/give you asthma.

hang out with your wang out - when in doubt whip it out

Quote Originally Posted by WRXDrummer View Post
    O yeah, I forgot shoot.

To change the topic, I was thinking about wasting my money on this part that makes my car run like crap but sound soooooo cool. It will help inflate my ego and make me think i can finally pick up that cute girl at that place.

What do i doooooooooooo?
    be a man
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

what bov is loud thats a 50/50. this has prob been asked but i read the first two pages and i dont think im gonna read the next 600

carbon build up from bov

i been reading about bov on this forum n its sad that they cause carbon build up in the cat. my engine light was on the other day n i got it scanned n it said i have carbon build up in one of the cats.
    1. now do bov only cause build up in the cats or in the engine too?
    2. and if I get a TBE with no cats will it build up again sense there is no cats?
    3. and does the build up slow the car down?

Quote Originally Posted by leonwrx13 View Post
    i been reading about bov on this forum n its sad that they cause carbon build up in the cat. my engine light was on the other day n i got it scanned n it said i have carbon build up in one of the cats.
    1. now do bov only cause build up in the cats or in the engine too? yes on the spark plugs
    2. and if I get a TBE with no cats will it build up again sense there is no cats? no cats means no carbon build up on the cats>3. and does the build up slow the car down?yes it makes ur car run worse. take off the vta bov, put on stock
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

The carbon build up is due to the BOV's ability to make the engine run rich in between shifts. Running rich means the engine can't burn the fuel as efficiently, creating carbon build up on the first cat (if you have a 02-05 wrx the first cat is in the Uppipe before the Turbo). If this condition continues long enough the Cat can actually be damaged, and in the case of 02-05 WRX's can damage the Turbo as well.

Please read this
    Blow Off Valve FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

If you had no cats, the extra fuel will be Exhausted and burn up in the exhaust system. This can cause fire to shoot out of the tail pipe, melt your bumper, or even ignite near by combustible materials.

Having cats with this build up causes them to work less efficiently, slowing you car down.

my engine light was on the other day n i got it scanned n it said i have carbon build up in one of the cats.
    what specific code was it?

what are your other mods?
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

Quote Originally Posted by testes1010 View Post
    what specific code was it?

what are your other mods?
    idk the code it just said carbon build up in the cat

i got the car with a bigger TMI and a BOV

idk the code it just said carbon build up in the cat
    FACT: there is no code that says 'carbon build up on cat'.

There is a cat inefficiency code but that can be caused by many things. I highly doubt your cat is built up with carbon enough to cause the code. More than likely you have a catless downpipe on the car & you don't know it & that will cause the inefficiency code to be thrown.
    1988 Celica Alltrac
    Hallman Pro, 15x7.5 +20mm Rota Slipstreams
    2005 LGT 315whp/340wtq@21psi - Sold
    VF52, Crucial P&P&C Manifolds, UP, DP, RP, Magnaflow CBE, Hallman PRO, ROMRaider
    2003 WRX 371whp/355wtq@24psi - Sold
    TD05H-20G-38mm Tial, Meth Injection, Hyperflow TMIC, ROMRaider
    Dyno Chart METH vs 93 oct

Quote Originally Posted by testes1010 View Post
    FACT: there is no code that says 'carbon build up on cat'.

There is a cat inefficiency code but that can be caused by many things. I highly doubt your cat is built up with carbon enough to cause the code. More than likely you have a catless downpipe on the car & you don't know it & that will cause the inefficiency code to be thrown.

i can see the cat by looking under the hood

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy96gase View Post
    If you had no cats, the extra fuel will be Exhausted and burn up in the exhaust system. This can cause fire to shoot out of the tail pipe, melt your bumper, or even ignite near by combustible materials.
    SWEET

Registered User Death To Ricers's Avatar
    i can see the cat by looking under the hood
    You know about 1/234,843,764,101 of what testes knows about cars.

Oh and *Pssssst* Catalitic Converters are located underneath your car
    2006 WRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You could vote to fix me a sammich.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.