"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 661
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by 02wrxdude This is pure speculation, and is based on my basic knowledge of the intake side of ...

Quote Originally Posted by 02wrxdude View Post
    This is pure speculation, and is based on my basic knowledge of the intake side of an engine, so go easy. My theory is that if the MAF is placed closer to the engine, and the BOV is placed before the MAF, wouldn't this help compensate for the incorrect signal being sent by the MAF? I was laying in bed contemplating this because as ricer as it sounds, I do like the sound of a BOV but I am completely unwilling to sacrifice performance for simply a sound. Feel free to point out the flaws in this argument.

With a custom tune, possibly. Basically what everyone is saying in different ways is that the ECU has a "preset" amount of air that it assumes is going back into the Intake from the BPV. As the MAF is BEFORE the BPV, this has to be the case. When you vent your excess boost pressure to the atmosphere (via BOV), you are fux0ring your intake and motor out of the air that the ECU is assuming is there.

CLIF NOTES:

BOV's are bad... UNLESS you have the supporting tuning for the ECU to adjust for all of the changes you are making to the car.

BOV's are NOT PnP on Subies
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Winston Churchill

Ah, the patter of little feet around the house. There's nothing like having a midget for a butler.

I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.
    - W.C. Fields

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the solution

This is simple; you must find a compromise between sound and performance. Yes there are bovs that are purely sound (for example HKS sequential, Turboxs Supersonic ex.), all of these create the problem of back flow and fail to release pressure at low psi. These are only smart to have on a largely modified system (500hp +) or to quickly install before a race because they work great at max boost. But as a daily driver big sound bovs can ruin your car, not to mention you want to kill your self after a couple hours of stop go traffic every 10ft hearing a PSH!!!!!!! Sound at 6am. That is why you have to go for a more performance oriented bov. I had the Supersonic bov and it caused low idle, backfiring, condensation, and with the massive loss of pressure each time a jerky ride (kinda like slamming the breaks each time you let off the gas.) Now I have an aps dual vent bov and it is perfect. No idle problems, no lagging, no condensation, no problems. It works just as it should, releasing pressure when itís supposed to, even at low psi. It isnít nearly as loud as the old supersonic (rfl) but when racing it is loud enough to turn heads.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 02wrxdude View Post
    This is pure speculation, and is based on my basic knowledge of the intake side of an engine, so go easy. My theory is that if the MAF is placed closer to the engine, and the BOV is placed before the MAF, wouldn't this help compensate for the incorrect signal being sent by the MAF?
    Yes,search "blow thru MAF" or "blow through MAF" on any Subaru site or Google it .This method is used on most MAF based cars.The other option is to switch to a "speed density" setup that uses MAP based fueling.
    Last edited by Donkey; 06-04-2008 at 06:52 AM.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i have the I//S delete and it IS louder than stock. you will definitely recognize it.

i've said this plenty of times though.

*what is more important to you?*

having a PSHHH sound? or the longevity/performance of your car?

the serious effect of a BOV is basically this: your ECU will be injecting the WRONG AMOUNT OF FUEL into your cylinders. this can cause bucking and can even cause your spark plugs to foul. aside from that, it can CLOG your cat and cause it to even melt.

so you chose.

are you going to be dumb and put your cars health at risk just for a SOUND?

seems pretty silly to fuccck up a 25,000 car (or a 30K+ if you have an STi) just for PSHHHHH
    +gospel

If you want to put a BOV on the car, then go with a standalone engine management system and tune the car by MAP instead of MAF. That would be the right way to do it. However, most people can't justify that kind of expense, until they are highly modded.

Hell, I'll admit that I have considered picking up a BOV that is adjustable to full recirc just to play with it. But the device isn't going to add ANY functionality or benefit over the stock BPV, other than a PSSH sound.

Hell, I can make that sound on my own - watch.

Waste money on the BOV??? PSSSH!
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

Parts Question

Does anyone know what makes the wrx make the pssss sound when you shift? What would you have to do to make your car make that sound?

Short Ram Intake
    Bugeye Mafia #141 Military Militia #007 Hawkeye Alliance #126 The Stink-Eye Mob #92
    03 WRB WRX - Sold
    07 WRB STi - Sold
    11 SWP WRX - Current

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    its called a BOV and you DO NOT WANT ONE.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/engine...ov-thread.html

you can get a similar sound by doing an intake silencer delete. do a search to find out more info on it.

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tay115
    Does anyone know what makes the wrx make the pssss sound when you shift? What would you have to do to make your car make that sound?
    OEM BPV

Search for "silencer delete"

That process will safely allow you to get that sound (for free)
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

thanks.
    so does anyone know what you must do to the car in order to get the sound? Can i do it myself?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Tay115 View Post
    thanks.
    so does anyone know what you must do to the car in order to get the sound? Can i do it myself?
    ------->>
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB007 View Post
    Short Ram Intake
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    you can get a similar sound by doing an intake silencer delete. do a search to find out more info on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by idipskoalmint View Post
    OEM BPV

Search for "silencer delete"

desiree

I Support ClubWRX
    Can i do it myself?
    Yes, but only the passengers inside the car will be able to hear you unless you use a megaphone.

Have a close look at the links provided by the previous posters, all the info is there.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

DUB
    It's refreshing to see such an extreme level of n00bness. I fondly remember back to when I had to search for what a BOV was. Tay115; you have a long and exciting journey of knowledge ahead of you.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Yes, but only the passengers inside the car will be able to hear you unless you use a megaphone.

Have a close look at the links provided by the previous posters, all the info is there.
    +1

Definitely read the BOV thread (above). Says everything you prob want to know. The rich condition may make your plugs foul faster. And you'll def experience a lot of afterfire when running hard. Incidentally, you'll want to be running catless exhaust.

Yes, read that 660 page long thread.

Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    someone should go through and delete all the BS posts and try to ORGANIZE EVERYTHING

i love ORGANIZING. someone make me a mod of this thread only and give me supa powaaa's
    Last edited by wrxtreme06; 06-05-2008 at 08:39 AM.

desiree

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.