"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 660
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Rogan what's the APS one like? pic?? It's one of the better BOV's. Dual vent means it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    what's the APS one like?
    pic??
    It's one of the better BOV's. Dual vent means it recircs at low pressure but on WOT runs it goes atmospheric (I believe). I have driven a stage 2 car with an APS BOV and it doesn't do the annoying stuff normal BOV's do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Hmm.. I might try one...

{googles}

BAH... only slip-fits or subaru-flanged... I need something like Tial-flanged v'band..
    Last edited by Rogan; 05-22-2008 at 05:16 PM.
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

BOV-BPV problem

I just switched over from a BOV (on the car when I bought it and pro-tuned for it) to a stock BPV. After installing it all I took it out, but the turbo never seemed to kick in. It would get up to about .5 bar but it never felt like the turbo kicked in. I thought about boost leak, but the lines looked connected correctly, but would boost leak cause it to never FEEL like the turbo kicks in? It is the only thing I've done today, I've messed with nothing else. I'm debating putting the bpv on to see if it will feel right, but it was a lot of work to switch it by myself. I didn't hear anything to make me worry so I'm a little confused. thanks for any help you can give me or any direction you can point me in!

Quote Originally Posted by losinspace View Post
    I just switched over from a BOV (on the car when I bought it and pro-tuned for it) to a stock BPV. After installing it all I took it out, but the turbo never seemed to kick in. It would get up to about .5 bar but it never felt like the turbo kicked in. I thought about boost leak, but the lines looked connected correctly, but would boost leak cause it to never FEEL like the turbo kicks in? It is the only thing I've done today, I've messed with nothing else. I'm debating putting the bpv on to see if it will feel right, but it was a lot of work to switch it by myself. I didn't hear anything to make me worry so I'm a little confused. thanks for any help you can give me or any direction you can point me in!

What BOV was on there originally? If you don't know, can you post a cellphone pic or something? Did you plumb the recirculation hose back into the stock turbo inlet pipe? Is it a known good stock BPV or did you just buy a junker from the classifieds?

Here is a link on how to install an aftermarket BOV. It shows some pictures of removing the stock BPV...those might help you to double check your install job. You may have to register to see the pictures. Trust me, it's worth it, scoobymods is the best "how to" site on the web.

TurboXS Type H BOV Installation - ScoobyMods
    Last edited by Timdog1650; 05-24-2008 at 11:22 AM.

Another BOV Question

Hey everyone. Just joined on here but have been reading numerous threads the past couple of days. I'm gonna be getting a WRX in the next month or so.

When I get it I plan on doing some aftermarket exhaust work, a new intake and a BOV.

I've read many threads on BOV's and how they can make your engine run too rich on the stock turbo. I really want a atmospheric BOV for the psh sound but don't want to run rich.

Would a good intake make up for the air lost or would this not even effect it at all. Sorry, I know many there are a lot of BOV threads but I was wondering if an intake can make up for the lost air.

Thanks again,
    Steven

well there is a lot of people that say bov are bad. they do make ur car run rich when you shift gears. if you want that air psssh sound then go with the silencer delete kit. and a k+n drop in filter. but if you are guna get a bov i always wanted the perrin bov.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

Quote Originally Posted by justin.jordan2 View Post
    well there is a lot of people that say bov are bad. they do make ur car run rich when you shift gears. if you want that air psssh sound then go with the silencer delete kit. and a k+n drop in filter. but if you are guna get a bov i always wanted the perrin bov.
    Alright. I looked up the silencer delete kit and people said some good things about it and how the turbo spooled up a little quicker. It's cheaper and I guess it has a plus on performance.
    Have you done this yourself? If yes, does it sound noticable? I really love the sound of BOV's.
    Thank you for your input though

Quote Originally Posted by Steven360 View Post
    Alright. I looked up the silencer delete kit and people said some good things about it and how the turbo spooled up a little quicker. It's cheaper and I guess it has a plus on performance.
    Have you done this yourself? If yes, does it sound noticable? I really love the sound of BOV's.
    Thank you for your input though
    yea i have done this theres no noticable power. dont know where you heard that but thats false. but yes you can hear the bov a lil more.. it;s a pretty simple mod.
    COBB FLASHED STAGE 2, UPPIPE, DOWNPIPE WITH HIGH FLOW CAT, AND FULL 3 INCH CAT BACK, 160 CRUCIAL RACING THERMOSTAT, K&N FILTER. TRACK: 1/4 MILE 13.66 102.7 MPH ON THE COBB OTS MAP

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i have the I//S delete and it IS louder than stock. you will definitely recognize it.

i've said this plenty of times though.

*what is more important to you?*

having a PSHHH sound? or the longevity/performance of your car?

the serious effect of a BOV is basically this: your ECU will be injecting the WRONG AMOUNT OF FUEL into your cylinders. this can cause bucking and can even cause your spark plugs to foul. aside from that, it can CLOG your cat and cause it to even melt.

so you chose.

are you going to be dumb and put your cars health at risk just for a SOUND?

seems pretty silly to fuccck up a 25,000 car (or a 30K+ if you have an STi) just for PSHHHHH

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    i have the I//S delete and it IS louder than stock. you will definitely recognize it.

i've said this plenty of times though.

*what is more important to you?*

having a PSHHH sound? or the longevity/performance of your car?

the serious effect of a BOV is basically this: your ECU will be injecting the WRONG AMOUNT OF FUEL into your cylinders. this can cause bucking and can even cause your spark plugs to foul. aside from that, it can CLOG your cat and cause it to even melt.

so you chose.

are you going to be dumb and put your cars health at risk just for a SOUND?

seems pretty silly to fuccck up a 25,000 car (or a 30K+ if you have an STi) just for PSHHHHH
    and that's the truth ruth
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    she's so hot, when she talks technical
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

The longevity of the car at the end of the day is the top dog, obviously cause if you got a bov on a car that dont start then you wont be hearing the pssshhhh!....However in the defense of the BOV/BOV sound...i do believe that there are many people who buy these cars thinking they can get that sound, and there are many people who like that sound...which is why posts like these are prolly the most common on any Sooby fourm.
    And I understand the math behind the incorrect cal by the ecu, however before people start jumping down the throats of ppl who want to hear that sound, let me just say I personally know, and I have seen other fourms were using certain types of 50/50's and BOV's are accepted and used. And out of the 5 or so people i know with them, they have had no problems, and the people i know with them have all had it for more then a year.
    Both sides of this argument need to be respected i see way too muuch bashing on people who like the PSSHHHH sound....obviously if theres so many people who want to hear it or like it then they have a legit argument. I absolutly love that sound...I have dont the scilencer delete (sounds good in the car...cant hear much outside), then did the SPT intake...(also sounded nice)...now at stage 2, that sound is pretty drowned out. And as much as i love the sound i like most wouldnt put my car at risk....However, whenever i do goto the VF34/39 there will be a 50/50 ajustable so i can hear the sound for an hr a week

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister1rg View Post
    The longevity of the car at the end of the day is the top dog, obviously cause if you got a bov on a car that dont start then you wont be hearing the pssshhhh!....However in the defense of the BOV/BOV sound...i do believe that there are many people who buy these cars thinking they can get that sound, and there are many people who like that sound...which is why posts like these are prolly the most common on any Sooby fourm.
    And I understand the math behind the incorrect cal by the ecu, however before people start jumping down the throats of ppl who want to hear that sound, let me just say I personally know, and I have seen other fourms were using certain types of 50/50's and BOV's are accepted and used. And out of the 5 or so people i know with them, they have had no problems, and the people i know with them have all had it for more then a year.
    Both sides of this argument need to be respected i see way too muuch bashing on people who like the PSSHHHH sound....obviously if theres so many people who want to hear it or like it then they have a legit argument. I absolutly love that sound...I have dont the scilencer delete (sounds good in the car...cant hear much outside), then did the SPT intake...(also sounded nice)...now at stage 2, that sound is pretty drowned out. And as much as i love the sound i like most wouldnt put my car at risk....However, whenever i do goto the VF34/39 there will be a 50/50 ajustable so i can hear the sound for an hr a week
    There is a big difference between knowing 100% you don't have a problem and just assuming you don't have a problem:
    "I have an intake,atmospheric BOV and an MBC.My car has been running fine for years!"

Oh really?And you know this because you have logged the car along with wideband data?

"Whats a wideband?Datawho?I don't need that stuff.I can tell just by how the car drives."

Oh,I see.You invested in a highly calibrated butt-dyno....

Read the links in my signature.There is also a performance benifit of the stock BPV.Maybe you buddies are running catless and are not worried about wasting gas or performance.Is it going to kill your car?Maybe,maybe not depending if your catless or not.Is it going to effect performance?Yes,yes it will.If you want to buy one go for it.It's your car.Just remeber,these things are not always "plug and play".If you have never had to adjust an atmospheric BOV before on a MAF based fueled car your in for a treat.Especially when you can't even keep it idling the minute you bolt it on.It absolutley happens.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Steven360 View Post

Would a good intake make up for the air lost or would this not even effect it at all. Sorry, I know many there are a lot of BOV threads but I was wondering if an intake can make up for the lost air.

We have a hotwire style MAF sensor in our cars. You can learn what that means here:

Mass flow sensor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No matter how much air you are ingesting, it will never "compensate" for the air you lose via the BOV. This is because the air is metered BEFORE the BOV. The computer decides how much fuel it is going to use before it ever reaches the bov, so if a better intake brings in more air then the computer will add more fuel to account for the additional air, it won't compensate for the BOV.

In my opinion, there is no "safe" way to run an atmospheric BOV on our cars without tuning. When people run aftermarket BOV's on big turbo setups, they have the fuel map adjusted to account for this AND they accept a certain loss of driveability in exchange for the power increase. If you want to hear your turbo and your stock bypass pressure valve (BPV) I recommend the following mod paths

-APS CAI + custom tuned ECU (Cobb, OpenECU, EcuTek, Utec, etc)
    -Injen CAI + Custom tuned ECU (see above*)
    -Stock airbox with silencer delete + stock ecu
    -SPT short ram intake + stock ecu

Both the CAI's I mentioned have been dyno proven to produce power and with a custom tune designed specifically for your car are totally safe to use. Remember though, they are not Plug and Play. You cannot install them and drive around for 1,000 miles without a dyno tune. You should install them and have them custom tuned within a week. The other two options will be cheaper and don't require custom tuning, although the SPT short ram sucks air from the engine bay which is warmer than where the other options suck air from (fender well).

I personally have the stock airbox, silencer delete, stock BPV and I can hear my BPV when I get on the gas. It uses the stock system, which is very good at filtering the air as well as keeping the engine running smoothly. It has a very high resistance to ingesting water (some intakes can suck up h2o if you drive through a huge puddle), and was basically free with a little bit of DIY know-how. 99% of stage 2 or lower cars will run better with the stock airbox. If you do this mod and decide you still don't have enough BOV sound, time to re-evaluate why it is you own a turbo Subaru...for the performance, reliability, fun of driving or for the whiz-bang noise it makes when you rev next to an SRT-4 at a traffic light.

~Tim
    Last edited by Timdog1650; 05-25-2008 at 08:00 AM.

This is pure speculation, and is based on my basic knowledge of the intake side of an engine, so go easy. My theory is that if the MAF is placed closer to the engine, and the BOV is placed before the MAF, wouldn't this help compensate for the incorrect signal being sent by the MAF? I was laying in bed contemplating this because as ricer as it sounds, I do like the sound of a BOV but I am completely unwilling to sacrifice performance for simply a sound. Feel free to point out the flaws in this argument.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.