"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 65
Page 65 of 788 FirstFirst ... 15555657585960616263646566676869707172737475115165565 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The worst that could happen if it stays open too much is that you run rich because it is letting ...

The worst that could happen if it stays open too much is that you run rich because it is letting out air that has been metered and fuel has been injected for.

Or maybe the really bad thing is that you run like cr@p

I have heard of this splutter noise(anthough he said mouse fart) from another user who decided to get rid of his.

Yours sounds particularly bad.

I would call TXS tomorrow - their tech support of their products is great. I'm sure they don't want you running like that!

Cheers,

Andrew

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Take it apart. Clean it thoroughly with WD-40. Lube it.

What you describe appears to be a common problem with the RFL as they come from TurboXS. Once cleaned up they reportedly work very well. It sounds as though yours got stuck 'open', so you may also need to increase the preload by adding a few packing washers.

-Pace

apart?

when looking at the piece, it looks like one solid rock. How do i take it apart?

also...

also, the preset boost level ended up being higher after it was put in. I'm guessing maybe one of the mechanics changed the boost, or is this normal? Do you think this is why the performance went so bad?

anyone?

add a couple washers to it also it may be to loose
    "Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left York at 6:36 p.m. travelling at 55mph, the other from Peterborough at 4:19 p.m.at a speed of 35mph."

Re: apart?

Originally posted by N8DOGG
    when looking at the piece, it looks like one solid rock. How do i take it apart?
    Check the instructions?

I only have experience with the Type-H on which you have to loosen some locking screws with an allen key, and then unscrew the 'top' off the BOV revealing the spring and plunger. I would imagine the RFL is somewhat similar...

A BOV will not change your boost peak in any way.

-Pace

GFB BOV Installed Today :)

I love this thing so far! I had installed the HKS SSQV BOV last weekend and it made my car run like crap. So I sold that one, and bought a new GFB from MastroWRX (blue, of course ). The installation kind of sucked. I went hybrid mode... That hose clamp owned me again. And the GFB unit IS huge, so I had a hard time getting the hoses all connected. I'd like to kill whoever decided to put the hose connection thingy on the WRONG side of the GFB!! I proceeded to break the T fitting for the boost gauge trying to pull the hose off, so had to go buy a new one (went with a metal one this time) ...

Anyhow, that being said, the car runs as good as with the stock bypass, but actually seems to perhaps be a little smoother. Also, the blowoff doesnt even seem to occur unless you really nail the gas and wind her up, which is fine with me. The sound is nowhere near as impressive as the HKS, but I did turn a head already, lol.
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

Yea I have the same in blue too and I love it, and I agree it was a big pain to put on. I lost two screws in my engine and a hex screwdriver while doing the install, luckly got one screw and the hex out. I like the sound but it is pretty quiet, I have heard it at 100% and it is damn loud but I don't want to take the chance of it running screwy.
    My woman hates the money pit
    2002 WRX Hybrid 2.5L 16G

Exhaust and BOV info

Hey, i am a pretty knew member on this site and i just wanted to ask a few questions about a couple of mods i was about to do on my rex. my first question was on the Greddy Evo exhaust, how do any of you feel negatively or positively about this system? i can get it for around $400 and i felt that was a good price. how about the sound quality, horsepower gain, and reliability, anyone want to tell me about any of these?

Also, i was wondering about the Turbo XS BOV, it sounds great, and is very reasonably priced. does anyone have any info on this BOV that they care to share, such as reliability again, easy installation. also, does this require any other parts to install it on your car, or is it just the BOV that goes on? do you need attachments or anything? thanks a lot!

-Matt

WRX
    I don't know of anyone who's gotten a GReddy exhaust on here. As far as a BOV you really don't need it unless you upgrade your turbo components. Even then, the stock one should suffice. It is a kick ass sound though.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

Get on-line and find the issue of "Sport Compact Car" which tests 12 or 13 cat-back exhausts on the WRX- price, decibels, dyno gains- both peak gain and most gain in a givenrpm range.

Unless I am imagining it, my GFB BOV running in hybrid mode actually made my car run better. It doesnt vent unless you really get into the throttle, and when it does its not extremely loud. I dont think it vents much if anything to the atmosphere under normal driving. Its prefect for me, I can gun it and cause the blowoff, but I dont have to hear it all the time. So far, I am very impressed with it. I tried the HKS 100% atmospheric value and my car lost power. The claims GFB makes about the hybrid valve in terms of drivability and performance seem totally true so far... MastroWRX.com hooked me up with the GFB...
    2003 WRX Sedan
    2004 Nissan Xterra SE 4x4

If you are going to get a BOV get one that does hybrid and not one that does 100% vent or your car might run funny. I agree with 2003WRX, the GFB BOV is great!
    I have heard the greddy is very quiet compared to other aftermarket exhaust but I have not heard it in person so that may not help.
    My woman hates the money pit
    2002 WRX Hybrid 2.5L 16G

my .02

If there is nothing wrong with your stock BOV, dont change it.

I had a RFL, and an HKS. The sounds are a nice touch, im 99% sure, we all got one for the sound, as it does nothing for performance.

I really dont care about running rich, in between shifts, I really dont understand why everyone uses that as the Anti-BOV suggestion. It made my shifts sluggish, so I switched back to stock, and it shifts like a dream again.

I also have the greddy, which I had fitment issues from day one. Out of the 4 or 5 other people here in the islands who have it, their greddy had no fitment issues. I probally got the lemon.

Assuming your stock, changing to the greddy catback, isnt going to do much for you. To me it's actually just as quite as stock. Take all your cats out, the sound goes up a bit. Nothing to call attention to yourself. It really is pretty quite.

Now when Is2scooby changed my turbo, for some reason, the sound level went up as well. To make a long story short, The greddy is QUITE compared to almost everything else that's out there. Other than a prodrive axle back. (but you cant really compare the 2)

Performance, hmm...hard to say, I dont buy into all the hoopla from others who change just their exhaust and notice immediate gains. I think it's all in your head. Anyhow, changing out the rest of your system, up/down pipe, gains are noticable from the butt dyno. At least for me.

Anyhow thats my .02