"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 637

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by 20WRX04 +1. A buddy of mine had one on his Eclipse. That thing was stought. Not only ...

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    +1. A buddy of mine had one on his Eclipse. That thing was stought.
    Not only stout.. it's a tial bro that thing can handle some gangster psi

-kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 20WRX04 View Post
    +1. A buddy of mine had one on his Eclipse. That thing was stought.
    Quote Originally Posted by koogxone View Post
    Not only stout.. it's a tial bro that thing can handle some gangster psi

+1

They're built nice. Same reason Tial EWGs are probably the most used out there

I still want a Worx Tuning Hybrid, as I've heard nothing but good things about them
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I was alluding to that "porsche gangster lane change" post earlier if you guys didn't catch it

Hahah yep, TiAL EWGs and BOVs. The flat-six motor STI that was formerly owned by Perrin is privately owned now and a customer at my tuner's shop.. he's running a TiAL BOV if it's good enough to hold enough psi to put down 700+ whp, it's probably pretty damn good
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126

TiAL now makes BOV's which can be recirculated as well. . . not sure if they are released yet, but they should be out within a few weeks if not.

+1, I've been telling them that it won't cause any huge drastic motor-jeopardizing problems, but it will decrease driveability a little by causing the bucking and rough idle issues
    Ditto. Both you and Mikie13 pretty much summed it up the best here.

Most people seem to rant and rave about them (BOV's) so much, a noob would prob. think their car would blow up on the mere sight of a BOV

I run the HKS SSQV (1st generation)..... works great.....some people like the sound, others don't

what would happen if you just used the stock bov and just plugged to hose that goes from the bov to the intake? feel stupid sayin this but dont have enough money for a nice bov yet and wanted to hear it..

Ok, i have another question (sorry, i'm new to this )

I've now sold the HKS BOV and now want to buy an intake.

I'd like to know which one would be the best to get.

Cobb Intake?

or

SPT Intake?

Whats the difference?

Will they both work on my Sti?

Which one would you go for?

Should i also purchase a Intake Heat Shield?

I'd much appreciate your help.
    pottsy

Quote Originally Posted by quintonius_123 View Post
    what would happen if you just used the stock bov and just plugged to hose that goes from the bov to the intake? feel stupid sayin this but dont have enough money for a nice bov yet and wanted to hear it..
    Assuming you mean unplug the hose from the BPV...you'd get a loud whoosh of air from the BPV upon shifting. And you'd be left with a hole in your intake tract sucking unfiltered air unless you plugged it. Somehow I just don't think its a good idea because its not what its made for...save up, and do things correctly
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Assuming you mean unplug the hose from the BPV...you'd get a loud whoosh of air from the BPV upon shifting. And you'd be left with a hole in your intake tract sucking unfiltered air unless you plugged it. Somehow I just don't think its a good idea because its not what its made for...save up, and do things correctly
    true true thanks for the opinion

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Ok, i have another question (sorry, i'm new to this )

I've now sold the HKS BOV and now want to buy an intake.

I'd like to know which one would be the best to get.

Cobb Intake?

or

SPT Intake?

Whats the difference?

Will they both work on my Sti?

Which one would you go for?

Should i also purchase a Intake Heat Shield?

I'd much appreciate your help.

New is ok, its why you are asking questions...you can check the link in my Sig referring to Intake information, but I'll sum it up quickly.

You have the two best choices for Short Ram Intakes for a WRX/STI. Both will work fine on an STI. I personally chose the SPT because its made by Subaru, for a Subaru and costs a little less. There isn't too much difference, I just think the intake pipe is a little bit longer on the SPT. But the MAF is located in the correct place with both brands, with correct diameter piping, which are the things to worry about.

Be aware that the filters are not washable/rechargeable like a K&N. Once its dirty and ready to be changed...you have to get a new one.

Heat Shield is optional...but functional. I don't have it, but I do recommend getting the heat shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by quintonius_123 View Post

true true thanks for the opinion
    Don't save up for a BOV, just keep the stock one on your car will praise you.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126

Quote Originally Posted by koogxone View Post
    Don't save up for a BOV, just keep the stock one on your car will praise you.
    Or that...thats my personal decision

But some people just want a BOV or an answer to their question...so I offered one

Blowoff valve questions

I was thinking about getting a blowoff valve for my turbo so I can have the cool "psssh" sound. Other than that is there any point to having one? What are the positives/negatives? Also are they pretty much generic to every turbo car or do you need to get one for your specific car? Ive got a 2008 WRX.
    Thanks for any help!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebus View Post
    Use the search button. It is located by pressing alt+f4 ok? If it doesn't work at first, just keep pressing it.
    Jebus you bastage. That doesn't work at all

IBTHEMERGE

you are about to get banned for be asking about BOVs in this forum....

everybody is gonna tell you that you should've done a SEARCH before posting and YES I'm gonna tell you the same... use the search button on the top....

Back to your question, BOVs are COOOOOL! but they ain't good for stock subies, it will only hurt your car in the long run and makes it run rich...but it's your car and if you feel that having the COOOOOL pshh sound it's what you want then go ahead and get one...

my 2 cents...

PS= sorry for the hard time but someone was gonna do it and I wanted to be the first
    05 White Ghost...

Quote Originally Posted by sorrowfulkiller View Post
    Nitrous, it's like a hot ass girl with std's you know that you wanna hit it but your afraid of the consequences.