"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 636
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Trainrex Kind of like the time I told everyone Ray was gay. Nice TR...love how you have ...

Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex View Post
    Kind of like the time I told everyone Ray was gay.

Nice TR...love how you have the gay smiley on hand too
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

Nice TR...love how you have the gay smiley on hand too
    I peeled it off the back of Ray's wagon and scanned it.

I Support ClubWRX

Not ALL are designed for it. For EMS that will utilize/accept external air venting, expect no less than $1000 spending time.

I run RomRaider EMS and external bov's are a total PITA
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

Exactly...racing setups
    actually the IS300 is a DD.....on 93 pump he runs around 450whp and on racegas he runs 550whp......he drives it pretty much everyday...

05 OBP WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I am willing to trade my first born child as well... if the first born is not of the gender that you prefer, I will be more than happy to continue trying with the woman until you get the gender you prefer (I personally like the act of "Trying")

I Support ClubWRX
    Kind of like the time I told everyone Ray was gay.
    I peeled it off the back of Ray's wagon and scanned it.
    You butthead.
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by vcustoms View Post
    actually the IS300 is a DD.....on 93 pump he runs around 450whp and on racegas he runs 550whp......he drives it pretty much everyday...

Ohhh shut up already.

Its not a WRX, is it?

You have any pics of your buddy's car? I LOVE IS300s...always wanted one, but never found one when I was car shopping, and then when I was...I wanted an STI first
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    You butthead.

heres some pics of it from the outside....i don't have any of the engine....well when it was done...i have some when he blew a piston apart...

hes done all the work himself.....cept for the jdm 1jze tranny swap.....

sry had to take them down...forgot to get rid of the license plates
    Last edited by vcustoms; 03-04-2008 at 08:23 AM.
    05 OBP WRX

I am willing to trade my first born child as well... if the first born is not of the gender that you prefer, I will be more than happy to continue trying with the woman until you get the gender you prefer (I personally like the act of "Trying")

^^^Me likey

Thats a great color and damn that thing sits low. How does he DD something that low without destroying the Fiberglass (or Urethane) work?

i have no idea!!! idk if its becasuse of the lowness but he has a JDM front bumper for it now as u can see in the pics.....

to go over our speed humps (thanks to his speeding they installed them all up and down our streets)...he has to stop at them and slowly go over them)...for me i can go over them doing 15mph....lol i really need to get coilovers....but first a garage...my driveway won't allow me to low the car even a half inch
    05 OBP WRX

So many people rant and rave in this thread "BOVs are Horrible!!! NOOO!!!! DON'T PUT IT ON!!! YOU'RE GONNA BLOW YOUR ENGINE UP!!!" and such antics as that...but many of these people just follow suit to what others say and jump on a band wagon. I guess it is better to have more people without them, than with them. The problems with BOVs usually aren't that dramatic. Of course there will always be the issues at both ends of the spectrum.

Simply...BOVs aren't necessary as I stated above, UNLESS you plan on running more than 20psi. Usually a good number for an aftermarket BOV is 22psi. Thats about the max capacity the stocker can hold boost. Otherwise you could run into boost leakage and compressor surge back into the intake tract. Even then, a Recirculating BOV is a better choice for your ECU and engine in general.

However, if one does decide to pursue a BOV...and gets a Vent-to-atmosphere type...some problems MIGHT arise. I have known more people who don't have problems than with. I've never actually met face-to-face, a person who has had a problem. The most common problems as people mention on here, are that idle problems and stalling out can occur as well as a rich running condition. The rich condition occurs when the BOV vents all the excess boost to the atmosphere during a shift, and the ECU still injects the same amount of fuel thinking that it has the excess boost going back into the intake tract.

So, you get more fuel than air. The main problem with this is that you get a lot of unburnt fuel back into your exhaust tract and a possible fire hazard and destruction of your catalyst (if you have one). This can mess with the O2 censors which can cause idling/stalling problems. This can also cause for a lot of carbon deposits and such within the engine block and exhaust tract.

Not to say that these conditions will always happen and always mess up your car...but it could, especially in the long run. There is the potential that it will mess up the car from the second you put it on...every case is different. So do you want to risk long term possibility of damage just for a sound or not? Do you actually NEED the BOV? Are you upgrading the actual boost and performance of your car now or in the future? Ask yourself these questions and it should open your eyes to some real answers. Each scenario has its own set of parameters so each car and situation will be different.

With this said...I have a buddy running a Stage 2 STI with an FMIC and an HKS SSQV and it runs perfectly fine. No bucking, no hesitation, and no stalling/idle issues. He pulls hard in every gear, to redline. Not even protuned. My situation: I am running protuned Stage 2 at 21.5psi on the stock BPV, perfectly fine. I don't have any boost leak, but I do think I get a little compressor surge here and there, but thats to be determined...so I may get a BOV in the near future. But I would most likely get a 50/50 hybrid.

Thanks for reading my $0.02...
    +1, I've been telling them that it won't cause any huge drastic motor-jeopardizing problems, but it will decrease driveability a little by causing the bucking and rough idle issues.

You're such a big help mikie i wuv you
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

To the member who was shopping around for a BOV for his 16g, try the HKS SSQV over the turboXS - I think it sounds better many tuners also seem to like using them for high-boost and high-hp applications.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126

Quote Originally Posted by koogxone View Post
    +1, I've been telling them that it won't cause any huge drastic motor-jeopardizing problems, but it will decrease driveability a little by causing the bucking and rough idle issues.

You're such a big help mikie i wuv you
    Woot! You're so schweet!!!

I just want people to have as much information as they can get about anything, so that an informed decision can be made

To the member who was shopping around for a BOV for his 16g, try the HKS SSQV over the turboXS - I think it sounds better many tuners also seem to like using them for high-boost and high-hp applications.
    +1

HKS SSQVs have been noted to hold boost the best. So mechanically, they are very quality pieces.

Best brands for BOVs include: HKS, TXS, Worx Tuning, Go Fast Bits, and Tial...

When I look for one in the near future...I most likely will be going for a Worx Tuning in Crinkle red, so it can match my intake manifold

+1

HKS SSQVs have been noted to hold boost the best. So mechanically, they are very quality pieces.

Best brands for BOVs include: HKS, TXS, Worx Tuning, Go Fast Bits, and Tial...

When I look for one in the near future...I most likely will be going for a Worx Tuning in Crinkle red, so it can match my intake manifold
    Wow, totally forgot about TiAL. Get a TiAL! Most badass BOVs ever
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Wow, totally forgot about TiAL. Get a TiAL! Most badass BOVs ever
    +1. A buddy of mine had one on his Eclipse. That thing was stought.
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.