"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 635

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I know I know I know, do not replace the stock BOV Unless your pushing over 20 pounds of boost. ...

BOV for my Turbo Upgrade

I know I know I know, do not replace the stock BOV Unless your pushing over 20 pounds of boost.

WELL .... I am in the process of purchasing my turbo upgrade and all the parts that are needed. Within a month this will be my setup:

2004 Subaru WRX
    2.0L Boxer Engine (38,000 Miles)
    Stock Transmission (38,000 Miles)
    16G Deadbolt Turbo
    DeatchWerks 565cc Injectors
    Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
    STI Top Mount Intercooler
    Invidia Up-Pipe
    Invidia Catless Downpipe
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    SPT Short Ram Intake
    SPT Light Main Pulley
    Protuned Engine Management by Injection-Connection.com

So what BOV do you guys suggest as I will be pushing over 20 pounds of boost. As of right now this is the one I am leaning towards...let me know if I am smart or just crazy.

http://www.thekingofparts.com/servlet/Detail?no=190
    Previous Subarus:
    2004 Subaru WRX, 18G Deadbolt Zilla setup w/ Supporting Mods
    2009 Subaru WRX Hatchback Stock!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ask your tuner
    2005 WRB WRX "was" STAGE 2

yeah that turbo XS one sounds sooo sick.....i have the HKS ssq....but my buddy has the RFL and i want the RFL....real ******* loud
    MY Mods...
    2004 WRX OPB....58k...open source tuned...VF 39 Turbo...Pink 565cc injectors...Walbro FP... Godspeed FMIC...Turbo XS Stealthback Exhaust...Gimmik Turbo Inlet...Gimmik Rad. Hoses...COBB SF Intake...EXedy Lightweight Flywheel...F1 Racing Stage 2 Clutch...Perrin Crank Pulley...Perrin Afta-MAF Hose...HKS Up Pipe...Kartboy Short Shifter and Bushings....lots-o-suspention...

Quote Originally Posted by jpjester View Post
    I know I know I know, do not replace the stock BOV Unless your pushing over 20 pounds of boost.

WELL .... I am in the process of purchasing my turbo upgrade and all the parts that are needed. Within a month this will be my setup:

2004 Subaru WRX
    2.0L Boxer Engine (38,000 Miles)
    Stock Transmission (38,000 Miles)
    16G Deadbolt Turbo
    DeatchWerks 565cc Injectors
    Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
    STI Top Mount Intercooler
    Invidia Up-Pipe
    Invidia Catless Downpipe
    Invidia G200 Exhaust
    SPT Short Ram Intake
    SPT Light Main Pulley
    Protuned Engine Management by Injection-Connection.com

So what BOV do you guys suggest as I will be pushing over 20 pounds of boost. As of right now this is the one I am leaning towards...let me know if I am smart or just crazy.

http://www.thekingofparts.com/servlet/Detail?no=190
    well personally i'm friends with a lot of kids that are in tech schools....their working on cars ranging from 600whp to 1000whp.....most of them suggest the greddy type r or hks SSQV

i have a greddy type rs which was a very nice one but died after 40,000 miles...

turbo xs makes very nice parts...i would go for that if you really want it

another consideration is going wiht a 50/50 setup....like the one i have now....its an APS bpv which has dual ports....one for atmospheric and one to recirculate....under low boost it reciurculates and under high boost it both recirculates and vents to atmospheric

good luck deceiding
    05 OBP WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I am willing to trade my first born child as well... if the first born is not of the gender that you prefer, I will be more than happy to continue trying with the woman until you get the gender you prefer (I personally like the act of "Trying")

Would Never, Ever Say Something Bad About an Admin's Mom SonicWagon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhbamby View Post
    yeah that turbo XS one sounds sooo sick.....i have the HKS ssq....but my buddy has the RFL and i want the RFL....real ******* loud
    But why? why not focus on what will help you car not shorten is life...
    "It is at our most challenging times that we must cheat our very hardest" - Eric Theodore Cartman
    Quote Originally Posted by Weasel 555 View Post
    so whose up for been banned?
    Quote Originally Posted by RayfieldsWRX View Post
    I is teh b1ggest douche evarrrr!~

Quote Originally Posted by SonicWagon View Post
    But why? why not focus on what will help you car not shorten is life...

if hes running a EM he'll be fine and it won't hurt his engine....EMs are setup to not run recirculation
    05 OBP WRX

I am willing to trade my first born child as well... if the first born is not of the gender that you prefer, I will be more than happy to continue trying with the woman until you get the gender you prefer (I personally like the act of "Trying")

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhbamby View Post
    You should've bought an SRT4. Don't you know they are Teh Fasssstar!
    Quote Originally Posted by vcustoms View Post
    if hes running a EM he'll be fine and it won't hurt his engine....EMs are setup to not run recirculation
    Oh really? Explain,...
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

sry i had to do it
    05 OBP WRX

EMs like Element Tuning Hydra

Running High Boost:

The factory WRX MAP sensor is really only accurate to about 22 psi so included is a built-in 3 bar map sensor that allows tuning for up to 35psi.

Atmospheric Blow-Off Valves:

The Element ECU converts your MAF sensor metering system to speed density which uses MAP and IAT compensation for its tuning platform allowing you to run vent to atmosphere blow-off valves without the bucking, part throttle hesitation, and rich conditions associated with MAF sensor controlled engine management systems.

this is directly off the Element tuning hydra site
    05 OBP WRX

Is in Love With the Admins Here 20WRX04's Avatar
    Interesting,....
    The first rule of the Faction is...DO NOT TALK ABOUT THE FACTION.
    NY GIANTS
    Hybrid Faction #19
    Blobeye Syndicate #19
    Mods

Running High Boost:

The factory WRX MAP sensor is really only accurate to about 22 psi so included is a built-in 3 bar map sensor that allows tuning for up to 35psi.

Atmospheric Blow-Off Valves:

The Element ECU converts your MAF sensor metering system to speed density which uses MAP and IAT compensation for its tuning platform allowing you to run vent to atmosphere blow-off valves without the bucking, part throttle hesitation, and rich conditions associated with MAF sensor controlled engine management systems.

this is directly off the Element tuning hydra site
    I've been quiet and lurking this thread recently...and a lot of poor and misunderstood information is going around.

I'll start with VCustom's info up there^^

-For one...Hydra costs $2000+ and its a stand-alone engine management system that can have every aspect of it fine tuned per application. It is SOOO FAR from your everyday Accessport, Utec, and Open Source tuning. Unless you have a completely built race engine...you wouldn't be using Hydra.

...you can not effectively tune for having a Blow Off Valve. It just can't be done...unless you could somehow tune down the AFRs at the exact points of when you are shifting...however...you don't shift perfectly at the same place every single time. I think I've only ever known 2 or 3 people to run Hydra or AEM engine management in the 2 years I've been lurking on this forum, IWSTI, and a couple other places. Plus...you can tune and tune and tune, but you are still using an MAF sensor which uses predetermined amounts of air to provide the base for how much fuel to get injected. Unless you do a MAP conversion (such as what the Hydra EM does), tuning for a BOV won't happen.

Not calling anyone out of course, as I realize you are just trying to help others by giving them information. Thats awesome and obviously the point of this entire forum...just be careful and be sure of what information you are giving people
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

well i guess it might be b/c i dont have any friends that own subies....all my friends have over 500whp....turbo is300, a couple supras and some other cars.....

they've all recommended Stand Alone....and their all in tech school working on cars well over 700whp....some of which are subies....so i guess its the set up your going with
    05 OBP WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

Not calling anyone out of course, as I realize you are just trying to help others by giving them information. Thats awesome and obviously the point of this entire forum...just be careful and be sure of what information you are giving people
    Kind of like the time I told everyone Ray was gay.

Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I need your advice. I own a 04 Wrx Sti. I have a brand new 'HKS Super SQV' blow-off valve that was given to me.

Here are my questions:

1. If you were me would you install this valve onto my Sti or should i just keep the stock valve on there?
    Right now, stay stock. In the future, if you are going to get tuned, turbo upgrade, increase boost at all...an aftermarket would be necessary as the stocker becomes unreliable at holding boost in many cases, above 20psi. Not saying that its definite...but most likely. Best option is to get a recirculating BOV or a 50/50 hybrid or adjustable BOV

2. Will my car lose any power whatsoever?
    More than likely not...but the driveability could *POSSIBLY* change...I'll get to that more in a minute...

3. Will my car gain any power whatsoever (no, from what i've been told, but maybe you can tell me different?)?
    No. No power will be gained at all.

4. Will it 100% work on my car or will it effect the perfect running of my car?
    It will work yes...but the affects of it can be varied both positively and negatively. It might affect the driveability some or it might now. Will it do its job as a BOV? Yes...more on this in a minute again.

5. How bigger sound difference will there be? Drastic?
    Sound will be very different and very drastic. The HKS SSQV BOV is one of the louder and definitely more unique sounding BOVs. Personally it sounds good IMO. Instead of a loud whoosh or PSHHHH sound...it kind of has a little ring or a chime in it, because of the way the vent is set up. Obviously you know you can only hear a slight whooosh sound stock...prepare for not-so-stock sounds when you shift.

Sorry about all the questions, it's just i don't want to ruin my car over putting this thing on. But obviously if it would work perfectly and not effect the running performance whatsoever, then i'd like to put it on.

Your advice would be much appreciated.
    So many people rant and rave in this thread "BOVs are Horrible!!! NOOO!!!! DON'T PUT IT ON!!! YOU'RE GONNA BLOW YOUR ENGINE UP!!!" and such antics as that...but many of these people just follow suit to what others say and jump on a band wagon. I guess it is better to have more people without them, than with them. The problems with BOVs usually aren't that dramatic. Of course there will always be the issues at both ends of the spectrum.

Simply...BOVs aren't necessary as I stated above, UNLESS you plan on running more than 20psi. Usually a good number for an aftermarket BOV is 22psi. Thats about the max capacity the stocker can hold boost. Otherwise you could run into boost leakage and compressor surge back into the intake tract. Even then, a Recirculating BOV is a better choice for your ECU and engine in general.

However, if one does decide to pursue a BOV...and gets a Vent-to-atmosphere type...some problems MIGHT arise. I have known more people who don't have problems than with. I've never actually met face-to-face, a person who has had a problem. The most common problems as people mention on here, are that idle problems and stalling out can occur as well as a rich running condition. The rich condition occurs when the BOV vents all the excess boost to the atmosphere during a shift, and the ECU still injects the same amount of fuel thinking that it has the excess boost going back into the intake tract.

So, you get more fuel than air. The main problem with this is that you get a lot of unburnt fuel back into your exhaust tract and a possible fire hazard and destruction of your catalyst (if you have one). This can mess with the O2 censors which can cause idling/stalling problems. This can also cause for a lot of carbon deposits and such within the engine block and exhaust tract.

Not to say that these conditions will always happen and always mess up your car...but it could, especially in the long run. There is the potential that it will mess up the car from the second you put it on...every case is different. So do you want to risk long term possibility of damage just for a sound or not? Do you actually NEED the BOV? Are you upgrading the actual boost and performance of your car now or in the future? Ask yourself these questions and it should open your eyes to some real answers. Each scenario has its own set of parameters so each car and situation will be different.

With this said...I have a buddy running a Stage 2 STI with an FMIC and an HKS SSQV and it runs perfectly fine. No bucking, no hesitation, and no stalling/idle issues. He pulls hard in every gear, to redline. Not even protuned. My situation: I am running protuned Stage 2 at 21.5psi on the stock BPV, perfectly fine. I don't have any boost leak, but I do think I get a little compressor surge here and there, but thats to be determined...so I may get a BOV in the near future. But I would most likely get a 50/50 hybrid.

Thanks for reading my $0.02...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

well i guess it might be b/c i dont have any friends that own subies....all my friends have over 500whp....turbo is300, a couple supras and some other cars.....

they've all recommended Stand Alone....and their all in tech school working on cars well over 700whp....some of which are subies....so i guess its the set up your going with
    Exactly...racing setups