"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 634

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by firedawgs2 I am running 20 psi in my sti, so I was thinking I am like right ...

  1. #9496
    Registered User koogxone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Best Coast
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by firedawgs2 View Post
    I am running 20 psi in my sti, so I was thinking I am like right in the edge of needing one. Even though I have the stock turbo and I am not running major power.
    You're boosting 20 pounds with a VF39?
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #9497
    Registered User Marco*06*TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    39

    Question

    Hey peeps i am pretty new at this i have had my 06 TR for about 6 months and i put a HKS ssbv on it cause i liked the sound...but after reading this i am pretty sure i am taking it off...should i or not becuase i am about to order abunch of parts for it...also should i go with a cold air intake or short ram intake...i have been looking at the INJEN cold air intake....any help would be great i really dont wont to waste money on parts that will just mess up my porformance

  4. #9498
    Registered User koogxone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Best Coast
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco*06*TR View Post
    Hey peeps i am pretty new at this i have had my 06 TR for about 6 months and i put a HKS ssbv on it cause i liked the sound...but after reading this i am pretty sure i am taking it off...should i or not becuase i am about to order abunch of parts for it...also should i go with a cold air intake or short ram intake...i have been looking at the INJEN cold air intake....any help would be great i really dont wont to waste money on parts that will just mess up my porformance
    Welcome to the community
    -take the SSQV off, it isn't helping your car.

    -either intake will be fine. One doesn't make more power than the other, so it's just preference. Some members will tell you that you run the risk of hydrolocking your motor by running a cold air intake, but don't be worried about this unless you live in a horribly flood-prone area. The intake is at least a foot above the ground, and needs to be completely or almost completely submerged to take in water. Just don't slowly drive through 2-foot deep puddles/floods and you'll be fine.

    -although either intake is okay, it won't help you at all for power. It'll just make your turbo spool louder, and you'll be able to hear the stock BPV more, which has a pretty nice loud sound inside the cabin anyway. I actually like the stock BPV's sound more than BOVs.

    -some intakes will also mess with MAF sensor readings a little bit; the Cobb short ram intake and the SPT short ram intake won't. I've heard that one line of Injen cold air intakes don't as well.

    -if you're just starting out on your mod path, look into getting a turboback exhaust (downpipe and catback exhaust) and some sort of tuning, like a Cobb Accessport or an open-source tune at a tuner's shop. That'll bring you to stage 2, with some decently formidable power levels (for your 06, probably ~240whp//270-280wtq. not bad, huh?). It'll also take care of some turbo lag.

    -I'm here if you need more advice
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

  5. #9499
    Registered User Marco*06*TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    39
    wow that helps out plenty i do notice that when shifting 1st to 2nd its real rough after i put on the ssbv i am not new to the stick i have driven manual for about 4years so i new it was not my driveing...would this be from running rich??? and yes i am doing the whole exhaust system i am going with Apexi N1 exhaust, invidia V3 dp, godspeed fmic, a new Intake and electric cut out, just wondering if you would say that this set up would flow good together...lol i am use to my truck days were it was just like heads, port and polish exhaust this turbo stuff is a little more complex but i really do like the all wheel drive its the best car that i have drivin.... and thanks to who ever gives me some feed back

  6. #9500
    Registered User koogxone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Best Coast
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco*06*TR View Post
    wow that helps out plenty i do notice that when shifting 1st to 2nd its real rough after i put on the ssbv i am not new to the stick i have driven manual for about 4years so i new it was not my driveing...would this be from running rich??? and yes i am doing the whole exhaust system i am going with Apexi N1 exhaust, invidia V3 dp, godspeed fmic, a new Intake and electric cut out, just wondering if you would say that this set up would flow good together...lol i am use to my truck days were it was just like heads, port and polish exhaust this turbo stuff is a little more complex but i really do like the all wheel drive its the best car that i have drivin.... and thanks to who ever gives me some feed back
    1st to 2nd might just be your driving, though. AWD is different and takes a bit of getting used to. My 1st to 2nd was rough at first also.

    The N1 and the V3 dp are great. HOWEVER, since you have a 2.5 liter '06, you should get a catted dp because 2.5s have issues with boost creep when running catless turbobacks. I know the catted dps cost a lot more, but hey - it'll save you the grief from possible problems later down the line running catless. The electric cutout is just for sound. I personally don't like it, but if you like that Harley-like rumble go for it!
    I've already given you advice about the intake.. and the FMIC - why are you getting it already? It won't help at all with your stock turbo. I'd save that for later - even if you get a turbo later like a VF34 or VF39, an STi TMIC will be fine for it.

    Instead of getting the FIMC, get the Cobb Accessport. You won't regret it.
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

  7. #9501
    Registered User Marco*06*TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    39
    thanks for the help i think that i would rather spend the extra bucks for less problems down the road any day i will look into that...

  8. #9502
    Registered User vcustoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern Jersey
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco*06*TR View Post
    thanks for the help i think that i would rather spend the extra bucks for less problems down the road any day i will look into that...
    dude u can just get a bigger TMIC.....u'll be fine using a TMIC up to like an 18 or 20g turbo.....i've even heard of a company that has a gt30 turbo that can still use a TMIC
    05 OBP WRX

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I am willing to trade my first born child as well... if the first born is not of the gender that you prefer, I will be more than happy to continue trying with the woman until you get the gender you prefer (I personally like the act of "Trying")

  9. #9503
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    20,854
    Quote Originally Posted by koogxone View Post
    You're boosting 20 pounds with a VF39?
    Why couldn't you?


    I'm boosting 21.5psi on a VF43 and tuner said I could do 23psi safely if I wanted to...



    Ninja Edit...I do realize I have a larger IWG than a VF39...so thats most likely the reason...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

  10. #9504
    Registered User vcustoms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern Jersey
    Posts
    160
    ok i was doing some reading on Import Image Racings site....

    this is what they said about DP

    02-05 WRX OWNERS READ: On the 02-05 WRX there are no boost spike or creep issues in most cases with the use of an aftermarket downpipe or turboback

    06+ WRX OWNERS READ: On the 06+ WRX there are boost spike or creep issues in all cases with the use of an aftermarket downpipe or turboback. This is because the 2.5L engine pushes so much air. Even with the internal wastegate fully open not enough air can exit to stop spinning the turbo, the result is boost creep or boost spike. With the 06+ WRX, unlike the STi, you cannot fix the problem by just porting the stock turbo wastegate. We suggest porting the stock turbo wastegate AND getting an engine management system to help fix the issue like a UTEC or AccessPORT. With the added costs this will entail 06+ WRX owners may want to consider waiting to get an aftermarket downpipe or turboback after they have upgraded there turbochargers or they may want to consider getting a cat-back exhaust only


    04-06 STi OWNERS READ: On the 04-06 STi there are boost spike or creep issues in all cases with the use of an aftermarket downpipe or turboback that uses a bellmouth or external dump tube design. This is because the 2.5L engine pushes so much air. Even with the internal wastegate fully open not enough air can exit to stop spinning the turbo, the result is boost creep or boost spike. You can fix the problem by porting the stock turbo's wastegate passage (any exhaust shop should be able to do this or it can be done at home) or you can get an engine management system to fix the issue, like a UTEC or AccessPORT.
    05 OBP WRX

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I am willing to trade my first born child as well... if the first born is not of the gender that you prefer, I will be more than happy to continue trying with the woman until you get the gender you prefer (I personally like the act of "Trying")

  11. #9505
    Registered User pottsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    57

    I need your advice - HKS SUPER SQV

    Hi Everyone,

    I need your advice. I own a 04 Wrx Sti. I have a brand new 'HKS Super SQV' blow-off valve that was given to me.

    Here are my questions:


    1. If you were me would you install this valve onto my Sti or should i just keep the stock valve on there?

    2. Will my car lose any power whatsoever?

    3. Will my car gain any power whatsoever (no, from what i've been told, but maybe you can tell me different?)?

    4. Will it 100% work on my car or will it effect the perfect running of my car?

    5. How bigger sound difference will there be? Drastic?


    Sorry about all the questions, it's just i don't want to ruin my car over putting this thing on. But obviously if it would work perfectly and not effect the running performance whatsoever, then i'd like to put it on.

    Your advice would be much appreciated.
    pottsy

  12. #9506
    Registered User koogxone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Best Coast
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pottsy View Post
    Hi Everyone,

    I need your advice. I own a 04 Wrx Sti. I have a brand new 'HKS Super SQV' blow-off valve that was given to me.

    Here are my questions:


    1. If you were me would you install this valve onto my Sti or should i just keep the stock valve on there?

    2. Will my car lose any power whatsoever?

    3. Will my car gain any power whatsoever (no, from what i've been told, but maybe you can tell me different?)?

    4. Will it 100% work on my car or will it effect the perfect running of my car?

    5. How bigger sound difference will there be? Drastic?


    Sorry about all the questions, it's just i don't want to ruin my car over putting this thing on. But obviously if it would work perfectly and not effect the running performance whatsoever, then i'd like to put it on.

    Your advice would be much appreciated.
    The BOV is not good for your car. It's a vent-to-atmosphere type BOV, so you shouldn't run it. It vents the air in the system out to the atmosphere whilst the ECU thinks that it's still in there - so the air-fuel ratio gets extremely rich for a split second in between shifts or when you let off the throttle. This will result in your car "bucking" when you do this.

    DON'T PUT IT ON!! leave the stock BPV on there, and if you want more sound, do the intake silencer delete mod or get an intake! The stock BPV sounds really good after you do this; i actually like it more than the BOV sound.

    summary: the BOV isn't terrible for your car, but it decreases driveability substantially - and driveability owns. treat that STi nicely and don't put it on! If you got it for free, just eBay it or list it here or on NASIOC and make some extra money. If you want more spooling and valve opening sound, use that money to get a Cobb intake!
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

  13. #9507
    Registered User koogxone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Best Coast
    Posts
    0
    Sorry i didn't answer your questions exactly
    1. If you were me would you install this valve onto my Sti or should i just keep the stock valve on there?
    I would leave it off for sure and sell it.

    2. Will my car lose any power whatsoever?
    It'll lose power in between shifts and when you get off throttle. It'll also run kinda rich overall, so you very well might lose a little power.

    3. Will my car gain any power whatsoever (no, from what i've been told, but maybe you can tell me different?)?
    Nope!

    4. Will it 100% work on my car or will it effect the perfect running of my car?
    It'll work - but your car will run far from perfect. Driveability will be substantially decreased.

    5. How bigger sound difference will there be? Drastic?
    It'll have a big difference in sound, but if you want the sound get an intake to make the stock BPV loud!
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

  14. #9508
    Registered User pottsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    57
    Thanks very much for all your help, especially Kyle. I've decided with your help not to put the BOV on my car, and i'll be selling it.


    Thanks again (and most likely more question to follow - haha).


    pottsy

  15. #9509
    Registered User koogxone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The Best Coast
    Posts
    0
    Haha no problem man ze club is herrrre for you!
    -kyle
    bugeyemafia#126
    VF39'd, Bailey-tuned! 280.07whp 250.05wtq

  16. #9510
    Registered User Marco*06*TR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by koogxone View Post
    Haha no problem man ze club is herrrre for you!

    so i took off the bov and i can feel the difference in my driving...i put on the injen short ram intake and i like the sound not as loud as the hks bov but i do like the way the car is running... and i ordered that down pipe that you said to get, was not that bad of a price...i will be posting some pics in a couple of days....so you can check it out

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •