"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 627
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just bought a Turbo XS WS-HYB BOV and at times it seems to compressor surge and other times leak ...

Turbo XS WS-Hybrid BOV minimum boost??

I just bought a Turbo XS WS-HYB BOV and at times it seems to compressor surge and other times leak boost at low rpms. Im only pushin 14psi of boost is that not enough for this BOV to blow off properly??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Take it off and sell it, aftmkt BOV not needed at 14 psi.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

send it back

ibtmerge
    Army Ranger For Life ! Thin Blue Line
    Military Militia # 1911/ Blobeye Syndicate # 1911/ Modifier's Anonymous # 1911/ Hawk-Eye Alliance # 1911
    All We'll Drive
    DIFFERENT STROKES
    EVEN MY DENTIST TOLD ME FLOSS 7 DAYS A WEEK
    POST WH0RE KING

get rid of it, it can only hurt.
    Tuned by Jorge at P&L, 240.83whp 239.60wtq at 14.8psi on 2.0L with stock td04 (But doesn't run)

BOV vs BPV

Ive posted some mod questions before and got some feedback regarding the BOV option vs leaving the stock BPV. While I agree with leaving the stock unit, I still want the sound......I am looking at Perrins unit which has the option to recirculate the air rather than release it into the atmosphere. Does this totally eliminate compressor surge, and if so will it still give me the sound I want. Will it affect gas mileage as ive been told about the BOV

Quote Originally Posted by 3nisuber View Post
    Ive posted some mod questions before and got some feedback regarding the BOV option vs leaving the stock BPV. While I agree with leaving the stock unit, I still want the sound......I am looking at Perrins unit which has the option to recirculate the air rather than release it into the atmosphere. Does this totally eliminate compressor surge, and if so will it still give me the sound I want. Will it affect gas mileage as ive been told about the BOV
    Perrin's aren't bad...but if you want the best of both worlds...a 50/50 is the way to go. Personally...keep the stocker if you aren't over 22psi of boost on your turbo and remove the intake elbow or get an SPT/K&N short ram intake. Intakes will enhance the sound of the stock BPV tremendously.

You shouldn't see any compressor surge unless you are over 22psi on your stock BPV anyway. Gas mileage shouldn't be hurt...

Other reputable brands to look at include Turbosmart, Worx Tuning, Go Fast Bits, TurboXS
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

thanx

question about removing the BOV

Hello I just bought a 2002 wrx sedan with 51k miles on it and the only after market modification is a bov, now everything i have read on here says that getting a bov isnt the best thing to do for a stock wrx. So i was wondering what the name of the piece that would go in place of the bov is? I want to buy one off of e-bay Im just not sure of what the stock piece is called. Thanks!

Its called a Bypass Valve.... i dont know about one on ebay tho!

just trade ur BOV for a BYpass valve..i just did it~!
    SPONSORS for Rally:AMSOIL, Livewire Energy, Six-feet deep clothing, ARS(Aluminum Rapid Shelters), and FatHeads Eyewear.

where or who did you trade it with?

Oh and would it be bad to get an upgraded bypass valve? or should i stick with a stock one for now?

It's pretty easy to trade. There's lots of people out there that aren't smart like you and put BOVs on their cars despite people telling them it's bad. Post here and on nasoic, and any other subaru forums you can find, and offer to trade.

Stick with the stock one. It'll do the job just fine even if you modify the car.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by benjer View Post
    Oh and would it be bad to get an upgraded bypass valve? or should i stick with a stock one for now?
    it wouldnt be bad... just unneccesary. your turbo is making 13.5 lbs of boost and the stocl bypass is good up to like 23 or 25

FWIW, I bought my 02 WRX 6 years ago and have been running a TurboXS type-RFL BOV on it for about 4 years now. The BOV is open to the atmosphere

RFL stands for REAL ****ing Loud. Let off the gas at 4k rpm and people will turn around from up to 3 blocks away. My engine has no hesitation, I pulled the plugs out at 60k miles and they look like they could go for another 40k miles.

Back in the day there wasn't a ton of "hate" on BOVs and honestly I don't see why it's started now.

I will admit though, the BOV is way too damn loud. I'm sick of people asking me in the car "WTF was that?" or "Learn how to drive stick man, you just ground 2nd"

In the next 6 months, I'm either picking up an 05-06 STI or an 03-04 M3. If I get the STI, its nothing getting a BOV.
    - 2002 silver WRX (stock)
    - 1999 Honda CBR F4 (Leo Vinci High-mount exhaust, carbon fiber blinkers and other lil crap...)

I Support ClubWRX
    how's those AFR's lookin between shifts?
    Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.