"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 625
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Unless you're putting down serious numbers, a BOV is unnecessary, and more than likely, more harm than good. A 100% ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Unless you're putting down serious numbers, a BOV is unnecessary, and more than likely, more harm than good.

A 100% VTA will be worse than the hybrid (50/50). All-in-all, it's your car, and your call. There are countless threads about BOVs on here, so do some research and make your decision.

Our cars were designed to work with recirculating BPVs. If you want the "PSH!" sound, get a K&N Typhoon SRI or do the silencer delete. Alternatively, go StageII.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I agree… I’m pretty new here but I simply put on a SPT SRI and the sound is more then enough. It would not even make sense to put a BOV on the car at this point. No CELs either…

Greddy BOV??

So generally speaking it seems like BOV's are ineffective and seems like they cause more harm than good. Does a recirculating BOV like the GReddy Type RS Recirculating BOV still have harmful effects on the engine?
    2008 Blue WRX, 5 door...
    First one in the Philly area in Early August 2008 from Concordville nissan/subaru

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    A stock WRX/STi comes with a BPV (Bypass valve) which is a vacuum-actuated valve designed to release pressure in the intake system when the throttle is lifted or closed. This air pressure is re-circulated back into the non-pressurized end of the intake before the turbo.

An after market blowoff valve does basically the same thing BUT unlike the stock unit it releases air to the atmosphere (giving you the loud sound). Some people see an after market BOV on a stock WRX as being in poor taste (due to the fact that it is purely a noise maker that serves no real function), while others simply find the sound very attractive.

Opinions notwithstanding, there is a downside to having an after market BOV on a stock WRX. The problem comes when releasing air to the atmosphere that has already been metered by the mass airflow sensor. When the BOV releases (blows off), the ECU will be injecting the wrong amount of fuel into the cylinders. The engine temporarily runs extremely rich (meaning too much fuel is injected into the cylinders). This temporary rich condition isn’t usually THAT harmful, but it can cause bucking or hesitation on lift-throttle. If the condition is really bad, it can eventually foul spark plugs and even clog the catalytic converter as unburned fuel on the catalytic converter burns very hot, and too much of it can melt the cat. Additionally, the rich condition obviously has a negative effect on fuel consumption. The rich condition can not be eliminated by simple engine management or professional tune.

Links for BOV info:

Wikipedia

Unabomber on Nasioc

-The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ATCsubie08 View Post
    Does a recirculating BOV like the GReddy Type RS Recirculating BOV still have harmful effects on the engine?
    I don't have experience with that bov specifically but theoretically it shouldn't...

Michael (AKA; ATCsubie08), why exactly do you want to change out your stock bpv on your stock 2008 WRX?
    Last edited by TheJ; 01-12-2008 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Reduce confusion.
    -The J

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX

Rogan o_0
    '96 Dodge 2500 CTD @ 40psi - over 700 lb/ft TQ, 7" stack, and 5speed! - SOLD
    '01 Dodge 2500 CTD 6-holed hand-shaker - 3850# dual disk - 900 lb/ft - SOLD
    '97 Dodge 3500 CTD DUALLY built Auto - 40psi boosties - 750 lb/ft

I don't have experience with that specifically but "theoretically" it shouln't...

What would be the point though?
    To hold higher boost than stock, or just upgrading a flimsy BPV for one that is more consistent, rugged and dependable.
    Dave
    01 RS

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by bigd View Post
    To hold higher boost than stock, or just upgrading a flimsy BPV for one that is more consistent, rugged and dependable.
    I 've not heard of many problems with the stock bpv being exceptionally flimsy on brand new, stock WRXs. However, I am aware that an after market part would be needed for "significantly" higher then stock boost levels.

Maybe my post was too offhand... Perhaps I should have been more specific but I wasn't literally asking the general question "what could possibly be the point of ANY after market BPV". Rather my intention was to ask the member I quoted specifically (who has a brand new, stock 2008 WRX and has made no mention of planned turbo upgrades as of yet) what would be the point "for him".

It is "possible" he is planning some sort of turbo upgrade that he has not mentioned or he could be somewhat uniquely distrusting of the stock bpv or even perhaps he just wants to dress up his engine bay.

I don't know, that's why I asked.
    Last edited by TheJ; 01-12-2008 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Tiny buttons on my pda = me typing like a 5 year old
    -The J

I don't have experience with that bov specifically but theoretically it shouldn't...

Michael (AKA; ATCsubie08), why exactly do you want to change out your stock bpv on your stock 2008 WRX?
    For the sound, I like the sound of it and to dress up the engine bay as you put it.. I'm sure when the time comes, if the money is available and there is a turbo upgrade for the new 08's, then I'll be doing that, but I'm sure that time is far off. But after reading all the negative effects an aftermarket BOV can have, I'm shying away from it heavily unless something safe rolls around.
    thanks for the help!
    Last edited by ATCsubie08; 01-12-2008 at 02:30 PM.
    2008 Blue WRX, 5 door...
    First one in the Philly area in Early August 2008 from Concordville nissan/subaru

For the sound, I like the sound of it and to dress up the engine bay as you put it.. I'm sure when the time comes, if the money is available and there is a turbo upgrade for the new 08's, then I'll be doing that, but I'm sure that time is far off. But after reading all the negative effects an aftermarket BOV can have, I'm shying away from it heavily unless something safe rolls around.
    thanks for the help!
    check the BOV link in my sig
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

I Support ClubWRX
    thanks for the help!
    If it's sound you want, I don't think you will hear an appreciable difference going with an after market Recirc valve anyway (like the Greddy one were asking about previously). It would sound almost just like your stock bypass valve. That partially lead to my earlier curiosity as to why you wanted one.

It's venting to the atmosphere (instead of to your intake, as the the stock bpv or a recirc vavle would do) that gives you noticeably louder sound... and some side effects that you may have heard about.

Not saying you should do this but some people have found that intake silencer removal and/or after market short intakes will enhance the sound from the stock bypass valve.
    Last edited by TheJ; 01-13-2008 at 07:27 AM.
    -The J

...that flutter

I just bought the GFB stealth bov
    i had no problems installing it

when i was testing it out,
    at low rpm, i got the flutter noise
    but it sounded great at high boost

the spring is as loose as can be

when free rev-ing, the flutter noise does not occur

is the flutter noise a compression surge or
    is it harmless?
    thanks for the help

Brainfart...what is this called

so I'm having a brain fart and can't remember the part you remove for a bov...can someone let me know??

P.S. I need one...whatever it's called

many names

recirculating bypass valve
    bypass valve
    recirculating blow off valve
    Torch Red 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 46k mi.
    Black 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX 6-speed 94k mi. my mod list
    10/08/2006 - 14.089@103.01 (5-speed with well worn clutch, no launch)
    "Six stars gleaming, five speeds breaking, four tires chirping, three differentials working, two liters screaming, one turbo boosting... it's what makes a Subaru all-wheel-drive, all we'll drive."
    for Bugeye owners my BOV thread Service Manuals

YES!!!! thank you!!!

...ahhh I feel much better now

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.