"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 62
Page 62 of 784 FirstFirst ... 12525354555657585960616263646566676869707172112162562 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by WRX Would it hinder performance if you slapped a few bolt ons, without upping the boost, and ...

Originally posted by WRX
    Would it hinder performance if you slapped a few bolt ons, without upping the boost, and putting a BOV on?
    If you're talking about exhaust, uppipe, or things of that sort then no. I put on tht stuff before highering the boost or BOV, and the performance was actually enhanced.
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

WRX
    yep, that's what I was askin.
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

Angry bov/bpv

just for clarification as i see many refer to by pass valves as blow off valves. bpvs circulate the excess pressure back around to you engine, with a bov it is released into the atmosphere making the all soo nice psssshhhhh sound while changing gears.
    as in audis where a bpv comes stock changing to a bov is that the metered air is released -> the car runs rich

just a topic bothering me at 4 am
    1.5hrs till krispy cream opens

planing to sell my a41.8t and get a wrx
    a4 1.8t

Re: bov/bpv

Originally posted by haji
    just for clarification as i see many refer to by pass valves as blow off valves. bpvs circulate the excess pressure back around to you engine, with a bov it is released into the atmosphere making the all soo nice psssshhhhh sound while changing gears.
    as in audis where a bpv comes stock changing to a bov is that the metered air is released -> the car runs rich

just a topic bothering me at 4 am
    1.5hrs till krispy cream opens

planing to sell my a41.8t and get a wrx
    Yeah, we refer to both things as BOV. One being recirc (recirculates back to the engine) which is what you're calling BPV, and there's the 100% atmosphere (vents all to the atmosphere) or 50/50 (half recirculates and half to the atmosphere). Anyways, enjoy your krispy kreme
    Fahd

WRX
    I dunno if you have a Jewel/Osco nearby, but they have Krispy Kremes delivered there about 3 times a day. Yum!
    13.12@101mph
    248whp 204lb/ft torque
    mods

+ BOV = Lower Boost?

I just installed a HKS BOV and my car is boosting slightly lower, i have a MBC and it was set at about 1.05mba/15.5 psi in 3rd gear, but now all gears are boosting lower, 3rd is about 1mba lower. So,.... is my boost REALLY lower, or could the BOV possibly be screweing with the (stock) boost gauge?

Weird... Where is your boost gauge getting it's pressure signal from?
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'

I Support ClubWRX

Re: + BOV = Lower Boost?

Originally posted by FromBoost2Boost
    I just installed a HKS BOV and my car is boosting slightly lower, i have a MBC and it was set at about 1.05mba/15.5 psi in 3rd gear, but now all gears are boosting lower, 3rd is about 1mba lower. So,.... is my boost REALLY lower, or could the BOV possibly be screweing with the (stock) boost gauge?
    When I had my GFB BOV on, my car used to idle really low, but there was no loss of boost. Like Richard asked you, where did you tap for you boost gauge? If you tapped it into the BOV hose, make sure the hose is secure and it is not too loose on the nipple of the BOV. Also look to see if the hose going to the BOV is kinked in any way on its way to the BOV.

Was the gasket in between the intercooler and the flange of the BOV in good condition? This could also cause a leak and a improper boost reading. Also make sure the bolts are nice and tight.

Good luck,

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

I have the HKS BOV as well, and I've had no problem with any loss in boost level.
    Fahd

Just a guess, but I used to have a GFB installed that actually "floated" in the open position (didn't like that much). If I remember correctly, the HKS BOV can be adjusted. Perhaps it is too loose. I agree about checking out the BOV line. If that is kinked it could really be open all the time.

Again, just a guess.

-- Rich

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by BigRich
    Just a guess, but I used to have a GFB installed that actually "floated" in the open position (didn't like that much). If I remember correctly, the HKS BOV can be adjusted. Perhaps it is too loose. I agree about checking out the BOV line. If that is kinked it could really be open all the time.

Again, just a guess.

-- Rich
    Thanks for selling it to me with a known problem guy.

Its all right though, I dissassembled it, got a larger spacer from GFB for free, and resold it and made my money back.

Kurlee Daddee
    (THE ORIGINAL)

would the volume of air lost by the pressure venting of the BOV even make a difference when compared to the amount coming in? Seems like to me it would be rather small...running rich IS better than running lean...detonation=bad

turboXs Rfl bov

Who on here has an 03 WRX with the RFL bov installed...??
    2003 WRX 5spd Sedan
    ~Stage 4+ 20g~

Does anyone use a BOV?

I was wondering if anyone uses a BOV, or are they useless, if you do use one which one do you use?
    Sold: 2002 WRX
    w/VS0 best of 13.5 at 97.5

New: 2003 Silverado

Had one, but I sold it because it degraded performance. The noice was kind of cool though.
    Aloha, Richard...
    Retired Moderator
    TXS Stage 4 UTEC + TMIC + JoeP
    12.75 @ 105.67mph - 1.74 60'