"The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) - Page 613

This is a discussion on "The BIG BOV thread" (Where all bov question threads get merged) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Sik_WRX so lets say i disconnect the vacuum hose from the BOV what would happen? I imagine ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sik_WRX View Post
    so lets say i disconnect the vacuum hose from the BOV what would happen?

I imagine your car would run faster quarter miles by 4 seconds and you can do some sick donuts. It also means you could hold boost FOREVER!

Seriously...why would you want to disconnect a hose that is SUPPOSED to be there?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Seriously...why would you want to disconnect a hose that is SUPPOSED to be there?
    to make it teh f4$T3r!11!!!.

Original Poster: Don't disconnect any hoses... especially if you don't know the repercussions of your actions.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Banned
    Because he wants to sacrifice performance, reliability, and safety so he can hear SWOOOOSH...... .....

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    to make it teh f4$T3r!11!!!.

Original Poster: Don't disconnect any hoses... especially if you don't know the repercussions of your actions.
    this is why i ask questions... thanks for critizing everyone, really cool
    2econd2none Performance

I Support ClubWRX
    it's all in fun buddy. this is one of the friendliest forums on the net.

Srsly... are you just wanting to hear the sound of the BOV more? or what?
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Banned
    Ok seriously.

Keep the stock BPV so your engine is happy.

Using a cold air intake will get you the loudest spool up sound and swoosh sound from the bpv.

Quote Originally Posted by Blup View Post
    Ok seriously.

Keep the stock BPV so your engine is happy.

Using a cold air intake will get you the loudest spool up sound and swoosh sound from the bpv.
    Don't use cold air...use Short ram buddy...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Banned
    Cold air > short ram. ask Eric he'll agree.

Cold air > short ram. ask Eric he'll agree.
    I still completely disagree...

Maybe on Hondas and other simple engines...but not with ours...MAF is touchy

Plus...possibility of water into the turbo and engine? Nahhh...

Also...the air is being compressed and heated up pretty good by the turbo anyway...soooooo...10 degrees cooler intake temps aren't going to matter much at all...

I would LOVE to see a comparison from someone with Pre-Intake temp gauges...first with a CAI and then with an SRI

I've done one. the data conclusively showed that you suck.
    isnt the short ram nicknamed the Warm Air Intake becuz its in the engine bay. which usually doesnt perform as well then right?

and yes i was the louder spool and swoosh.

will a downpipe do anything?
    2econd2none Performance

Banned
    All you want is a louder sound man? :-/

Usually people get a better downpipe for increased performance...

the downpipe will probably change the sound of your turbo spooling but won't effect the BOV much...

well i am getting a bunch of STP stuff for free (intake, exhaust) but since i have an 08 i have to wait until they are in production. i know STP most likely wont make a downpipe though so i am gonna get one from Cobb, and maybe the uppipe as well
    2econd2none Performance

Banned
    the uppipe might not really have much of a difference. the later year WRXs didn't realyl need uppipe upgrades.

the downpipe is the biggest exhaust mod for performance increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik_WRX View Post
    well i am getting a bunch of STP stuff for free (intake, exhaust) but since i have an 08 i have to wait until they are in production. i know STP most likely wont make a downpipe though so i am gonna get one from Cobb, and maybe the uppipe as well
    If you do end up getting a Downpipe...you WILL WANT engine management to tune for it, especially with what the 08 ECUs are looking like with running lean at full boost.

A downpipe will improve turbo sound, but not necessarily blow off sound. Its mostly about performance because that is considered Stage 2 and will add a significant amount of power to your car.

Not sure if you will need an Up Pipe because the 07s didn't. They had no restriction as the Cats were removed. I assume the 08s are following suit.

an SPT Short Ram intake will be fine. I have one on my STI and it has improved the sound of the stock by pass valve. I don't deal with too much heat problems as I make a great amount of power, but the SPT intakes usually are marketed with a Heat Shield.

Banned
    Bottom Line for you buddy:

1- Keep stock BPV

2 - Short ram intake

3- Get a good downpipe, optionally a complete turboback exhaust

4- Most importantly GET TUNED FOR YOUR UPGRADES!!!!

there's some good hybrid blow-off/bypass valves you can get. Will be louder than stock BPV, but won't make you run too rich.